Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot




  1. #1
    Blabagas is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Question New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    So I have purchased a new gpu for my HP pavilion, HP Pavilion p6-2175a Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Support
    but after installing it my computer would not boot. After a lot of troubleshooting I have found that my computer only boots when the monitor is plugged in. The GPU is a gigabyte gtx 660 OC.
    I have replaced the PSU in my computer for a corsair 600W one, and have correctly seated the gpu and plugged in the neccresary power connectors. The computer works fine with my old gpu, or no gpu, and I have already replaced the gpu so it is not faulty.


    So here is exactly what happens. If I turn on my computer with the monitor plugged into the 660, the computer will freeze at the HP startup screen where it says "press esc for startup menu". Pressing esc or any key does nothing. Eventually it will switch over to a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left. It stays there and doesn't change.


    If I turn on the computer with the monitor unplugged it does something different. When I turn it on the power button on the pc flashes orange and beeps 6 times, and the computer then begins to start up. After about 2-3 minutes I hear the fans slow down so I know the computer has started, I plug in the monitor and everything runs perfect. If I plug in the monitor half way through it is just a blank screen.


    I have looked everywhere and asked on some forums, decided maybe you guys would have something new to suggest.
    Really unsure what to do about this anymore, I'm sure there is a way to make this work because I can get the computer booted up to run normally, just takes a bit of setup.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    stasio's Avatar
    stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Did your HP pavilion suport PCI-E 3.0 ??

    Your motherboard has Intel H61 chipset:
    Motherboard Specifications, H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2) | HP® Support

    Your :Expansion Slots
    • One PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
    • Three PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
    • One PCI Express Mini Card x1


    As per Gigabyte H61 boards:

    x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
    (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
    * Whether PCI Express 3.0 is supported depends on CPU and graphics card compatibility.
    Last edited by stasio; 01-23-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

  3. #3
    Blabagas is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Did your HP pavilion suport PCI-E 3.0 ??

    Your motherboard has Intel H61 chipset:
    Motherboard Specifications, H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2) | HP® Support

    Your :Expansion Slots
    • One PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
    • Three PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
    • One PCI Express Mini Card x1


    As per Gigabyte H61 boards:
    As I understand it a pci 3.0 card is backward compatable with a 2.0 board

  4. #4
    stasio's Avatar
    stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Blabagas View Post
    As I understand it a pci 3.0 card is backward compatable with a 2.0 board
    Interesting....your HP is OEM system (block some components and setting in BIOS):
    Help! Gigabyte GTX660 OC - PC won't boot [Solved] - Graphics - Graphics & Displays

    Btw,
    I suggest you to google.....
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

  5. #5
    Bluismycat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    I believe Stasio is on the money. OEMs don't like you changing the hardware specs of their pcs. So the way to go would be a new mobo. Did you try a different PCIe port? Just a thought but I would also put my money on the mobo.

  6. #6
    stasio's Avatar
    stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluismycat View Post
    I believe Stasio is on the money. OEMs don't like you changing the hardware specs of their pcs. So the way to go would be a new mobo. Did you try a different PCIe port? Just a thought but I would also put my money on the mobo.
    +1.......this is his mobo (only 1 X PCI Express x16):

    Last edited by stasio; 01-24-2014 at 04:42 AM.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

  7. #7
    Blabagas is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Interesting....your HP is OEM system (block some components and setting in BIOS):
    Help! Gigabyte GTX660 OC - PC won't boot [Solved] - Graphics - Graphics & Displays

    Btw,
    I suggest you to google.....
    Not sure if you were trying to be rude with that comment or not. I have already spent several days researching on google, before I came to the forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluismycat View Post
    I believe Stasio is on the money. OEMs don't like you changing the hardware specs of their pcs. So the way to go would be a new mobo. Did you try a different PCIe port? Just a thought but I would also put my money on the mobo.
    I respect that a new motherboard may be the only solution, however that is a last resort for me and I am not willing to try it untill I have tried everything else. I feel that there must be a way around this because I am still able to get the pc booted. The only problem with buying a new mobo is that I would have to buy a new OS (correct me on this) and it would take me several months to redownload my games because I am capped to 80GB of bandwidth per month.

  8. #8
    stasio's Avatar
    stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Blabagas View Post
    Not sure if you were trying to be rude with that comment or not. I have already spent several days researching on google, before I came to the forums.
    Not,at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blabagas View Post
    I respect that a new motherboard may be the only solution, however that is a last resort for me and I am not willing to try it untill I have tried everything else. I feel that there must be a way around this because I am still able to get the pc booted. The only problem with buying a new mobo is that I would have to buy a new OS (correct me on this) and it would take me several months to redownload my games because I am capped to 80GB of bandwidth per month.
    OS is on hard/ssd drive...not on motherboard,as your games as well.

    Any motherboard P67/Z68 or Z77 (H,B,Q....with Form factor: uATX -24.4 cm x 22.0 cm) is OK,for your Sandy Brigde CPU (Socket 1155):

    http://www.gigabyte.my/products/list...jid=0&p=2&v=24

    Edit:
    Of course.....any brand.
    Last edited by stasio; 01-24-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

  9. #9
    Bluismycat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Blabagas View Post
    Not sure if you were trying to be rude with that comment or not. I have already spent several days researching on google, before I came to the forums.


    I respect that a new motherboard may be the only solution, however that is a last resort for me and I am not willing to try it untill I have tried everything else. I feel that there must be a way around this because I am still able to get the pc booted. The only problem with buying a new mobo is that I would have to buy a new OS (correct me on this) and it would take me several months to redownload my games because I am capped to 80GB of bandwidth per month.
    No you won't need a new OS for a new motherboard. The OS is on the hard drive on your system, not the mobo. I don't think he was trying to be rude when he said "google it". The link he posted above that text, is for same problem as yours but is solved. Correct me if I am wrong Stasio...I think he meant google your OEM setup and changing the HW.

    On the PCIe comment I made...my bad, I didn't realize there is only 1 PCIe port with all the rest being singles.

  10. #10
    Bluismycat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: New GTX 660 GPU - Computer wont boot

    Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Not,at all.



    OS is on hard/ssd drive...not on motherboard,as your games as well.

    Any motherboard P67/Z68 or Z77 (H,B,Q....with Form factor: uATX -24.4 cm x 22.0 cm) is OK,for your Sandy Brigde CPU (Socket 1155):

    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155

    Edit:
    Of course.....any brand.
    Stasio. I read your replies after I leave mine and I just seem to be repeating what you say. I will leave it to you as you obviously know what you re talking about and I reckon your on the right track. Sorry mate, wasn't trying to steal your thunder...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •