Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ga-z68a-d3h-b3 uefi bios

Rikairchy is offline Junior Member

Default Ga-z68a-d3h-b3 uefi bios

I have a GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (F12) that I would like to upgrade to a UEFI BIOS and enable secureboot on Windows. Would I notice any significant improvement, and would I be able to return to a previous BIOS if needed? I have my operating systems installed in legacy mode, would I need to reinstall the operating systems and change the partition table to GPT?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Ga-z68a-d3h-b3 uefi bios

Your board (which revision?) has a UEFI firmware download now, version U1D: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev. 1.0)

But, having UEFI firmware does not guarantee that it will have a Secure Boot option. Most boards using Intel 6 series chipsets (like your Z68) do not have this option in their UEFI.

The main improvement is start up speed, since most of the features UEFI firmware has are not being used yet.

I don't use your mother board, so I don't know if you can freely change to any BIOS version, or between UEFI and BIOS firmware.

Yes you would need to install Win 8 again for UEFI booting.

Your video source, either discrete card or onboard, must be GOP compatible (the UEFI video protocol) in order to UEFI boot, and your current video card and onboard video are both not GOP compatible.

You should research this topic more before attempting to do it, but your current mother board and video card are not new enough to support UEFI booting.

Rikairchy is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Ga-z68a-d3h-b3 uefi bios

That answers my next set of questions. Thank you very much!

Thread Information