Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

I know you're frustrated with it, throw the towel in and all, but THIS ought to give you an idea or three concerning BIOS resets.

Back when I crunched I had two boxes that oddly needed reset on a near monthly basis. Like you I didn't much appreciate pulling them and going all gymnast once every 4-6wks. Just a BOIS clear and they ran another 4-6wks. PITA.

Not what I linked above as I had some here from breadboarding that worked out just fine for my needs.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

That can be usefull indeed, but now comes the temptation from Asus since when I first started the build, I used the dual socket Asus board that turned out to be defective.

They shipped me a brand new one and I received it just now, and I see where the jumpers are and it's a world of difference compared to the Gigabyte board.....They tried to move all of them out of the way of the hardware in question.

Not to be misread and stand accused of salting your wounds there but I just looked and they released R15 a couple of days ago on Mar 26 2014.

Not going to do anything right now since it is a lot of work to either wait for updates on the gigabyte board, or give the Asus Z9PE-W8 a second try but here's one example where it's better:

Right beside the row of SATA ports are it's own power and reset switches, and a LED readout for error codes, and most of the jumpers in that area too and out of the way even if you have 4 video cards installed.
    Last edited by shadow001; 03-29-2014 at 11:04 AM.

I know,i downloaded it a few days ago, and had asked if it solved my particular issue but got no answer at all.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
    I know,i downloaded it a few days ago, and had asked if it solved my particular issue but got no answer at all.
    So you did. Excuse me for that there "outburst'. In the back of my thoughts while typing that I had sense you'd seen it yet wasn't sure. Obvious now that I just did look.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 2 days ago View Post
    I see there's a new bios available.....Would this one solve the issue I have by any chance?
    Oh yea. That Asus board pic'd above. Knowing the size of EEB boards that boards jumper locations would be easier just about regardless of card length.

Gasp. Tell me it ain't so.

I'm thinking you need to rattle Yann's "chain' again via PM, or open a Ticket direct with Gigabyte's server div.

My case supports all form factors right up to HPTX size, so that's not a constraint at all......Between EEB and E-ATX is only a single hole where the board screws on the motherboard tray...Height and depth of the boards are the same.

HPTX is the beast of them all with the boards being 13 inches tall by 15 inches deep:

It's Deeper than taller...lol
    Last edited by shadow001; 03-29-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Please cease and desist with posting pics of that SR-2.

My Wife now has to deal with what those pics erect.

And no. You don't get a pass. I'm laying full blame on you.

Anyways i'm all tied up in those 3 options and all 3 boards are in house right now...The gigabyte currently running, the Asus that got shipped back and the SR-2 that's in storage but fully working, so there's no lack of choice but I got no more time for PC builds and trouble shooting for the time being, and got a pretty good direct comparison in performance and was surprised that 16 cores in these E5 2650 v2's at 2.6 Ghz are roughly the same performance as the 6 core chips currently living in the SR-2 with the difference that I had to clock those to 3.8~4.0 Ghz clock speeds.

So they don't need to run anywhere near as hard as the older Xeon Westmere chips which were the last Xeon's that could do so( that's why I had the water cooling in the first place), but I can't overclock these E5 2650's since the multipliers are locked by intel, even though they too could do so with no problems at all, like we see in the desktop versions.

Decisions, decisions.....
    Last edited by shadow001; 03-29-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Seems i'll be giving it another try with the Asus board for a couple of simple reasons:

1:It supports higher speed memory than the gigabyte board which tops out at 1866Mhz in the bios, while the Asus board maxes out at 2133Mhz, which is the speed of the Corsair dominator GT's I had tried with the gigabyte board but it wouldn't boot with it.
    2:The Asus board actually has bios options to overclock, and while I know the multiplier is locked on Xeon chips, it seems that most users with them can crank out another 5 to 10 Mhz on the base clock, so that can translate to an extra 130 to 260Mhz on the CPUs with the 26x multiplier....Every bit helps and i'm water cooling anyhow.
    3:Seems there's no issue with running Four R290's in quad crossfire with the latest bios.
    4:Turbo mode can be locked so that all cores run at max speed all the time, regardless if they're doing something or not....The chips then run at 3.4 Ghz, then add the extra bit up top I mentioned in point 2(130~260mhz).

On the bad side:

I am losing the LSI raid controller of the gigabyte board....
    The other point is that I intend to ditch windows 8.1 64bit and go back to windows 7 pro 64 bit.....Been trying to get used to it but I simply don't like it.

As far as the SR-2 goes, i'll be setting that one up as a spare system with four HD7970's, and as usual, everything is water cooled too.
    Last edited by shadow001; 04-03-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information