Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107

Thread: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....




  1. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
    Also getting intermittent ,5 secs long, "Legacy Eprom full" messages as the system boots up...It's happened about 3 times in the past 3 weeks since it's been running.

    I know it stands for erasable/programmable read only memory, but why would it should up?
    Wouldn't your four GFX cards be grabbing/occupying a good chunk of that?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Wouldn't your four GFX cards be grabbing/occupying a good chunk of that?
    Yet that wouldn't necessarily explain the intermittent thing happening would it.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    It's quite possible, but wouldn't the error show up every time I boot up if that were the case?

    The last video card is still identified by the windows 8.1 O/S as a generic Microsoft video adapter and not what it is, like the 3 other ones.

    I'll try the new bios even though it's a shot in the dark and got no replies here from people that might know.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
    ... got no replies here from people that might know.
    Has gone quiet there on that front hasn't it.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
    It's quite possible, but wouldn't the error show up every time I boot up if that were the case?
    Curious. Next time it throws that "full' notice, is that 4th card that gets those generic drivers assigned, is that card then maybe getting the correct installed driver?
    (ie: loading order get that 4th cards data in there but then fail on another that followed)

    Way way over my pay grade here, obviously, yet not knowing when to stop either .......

    Using Windows there? In Device Manager, or comparable in the OS used, do you notice any differences in/towards other devices properties or lack thereof in/during both scenarios?





    Ok. Now that I've somehow managed to navigate past the deep end of this pool, I best climb out now for the safety and sanity of all involved.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    What I notice the most in that message is the word legacy, meaning features that aren't the latest thing out there, but part of the features of the board like 1st gen USB, or first gen SATA, onboard video and so forth.


    So it's got me thinking about what I can disable to free up more room in the Eprom.

  7. #87
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
    Also getting intermittent ,5 secs long, "Legacy Eprom full" messages as the system boots up...It's happened about 3 times in the past 3 weeks since it's been running.

    I know it stands for erasable/programmable read only memory, but why would it should up?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
    What I notice the most in that message is the word legacy, meaning features that aren't the latest thing out there, but part of the features of the board like 1st gen USB, or first gen SATA, onboard video and so forth.


    So it's got me thinking about what I can disable to free up more room in the Eprom.
    EPROM normally refers to the BIOS CMOS chip. This board's specs don't describe the BIOS chip at all, such as a 64Mb (Mega-bit) UEFI firmware compatible chip, common on current mother boards. That matches an eight MB UEFI firmware image. The BIOS firmware downloads for this board are larger than that, even in .zip format.

    The term "Legacy" when used with BIOS/UEFI firmware refers to using the UEFI firmware in emulated BIOS/Legacy mode with the use of a CSM. That is the standard/default way UEFI firmware is run on mother boards. The term legacy should not be referring to previous versions of various features.

    "Legacy Eprom full" sounds like the area in the BIOS for option ROMs, etc, is full, meaning space for another device's needs is not available, as you said.

    Have you been changing hardware that might cause these messages to be displayed that only seems to be random?

    Disabling a device in the BIOS might free up space for another device in the BIOS space. I'm not aware of everything you use with this board.

    Have you ever updated the BMC firmware used on this board?

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    There's still a major incompatibility that's related to the video cards, since as soon as I connect a second display on that 3rd card, the system simply won't boot or allow me to go into the bios.

    I think i'll go back to the SR-2 board and use as much of the gear from this build with that motherboard.....Patience has limits and I've reached mine in a big way, despite the fact that the board is advertised as 4 way SLI or crossfire capable.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    EPROM normally refers to the BIOS CMOS chip. This board's specs don't describe the BIOS chip at all, such as a 64Mb (Mega-bit) UEFI firmware compatible chip, common on current mother boards. That matches an eight MB UEFI firmware image. The BIOS firmware downloads for this board are larger than that, even in .zip format.

    The term "Legacy" when used with BIOS/UEFI firmware refers to using the UEFI firmware in emulated BIOS/Legacy mode with the use of a CSM. That is the standard/default way UEFI firmware is run on mother boards. The term legacy should not be referring to previous versions of various features.

    "Legacy Eprom full" sounds like the area in the BIOS for option ROMs, etc, is full, meaning space for another device's needs is not available, as you said.

    Have you been changing hardware that might cause these messages to be displayed that only seems to be random?

    Disabling a device in the BIOS might free up space for another device in the BIOS space. I'm not aware of everything you use with this board.

    Have you ever updated the BMC firmware used on this board?

    Been trying to get this system to run properly for the last 3+ weeks, ever since I got the parts for it....Tried everything I can think of and no dice.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Tearing what's left of my hair off with this one build....

    One of the issues is that even to reset the bios with the onboard jumpers is a pain if hardware happens to be installed in the PCI-e slots, never mind that everything is water cooled, since it covers them all so it would be nice if future boards had a layout change where the jumpers are located along the edge of the board and not blocked by anything else hardware wise, not just placing them wherever they may fit....I realise that most aren't running 4 card setups, but the board is advertised as 4 way SLI or crossfire, so there's bound to be the odd setup that has 4 cards.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •