Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: G1.Sniper M5 C2 Identification

Default G1.Sniper M5 C2 Identification

How do you identify the C2 version(s?) of the M5? The Gigabyte site has "rev. 1.x" listed, so I'm assuming that there is at least a 1.1.

I want to buy a G1.Sniper M5, but there's no chance I'm buying a C1 unit in 2014. The place I want to purchase from has only rev.1.0 units, and I would have thought those were the C1 boards with 1.1 being the C2, although it seems strange to me that anyone would still have any C1 stock left by now.

1) Does anyone have an M5 1.0 that has the C2 stepping?
    2) Does anyone have an M5 that is a revision other than 1.0 or 1.1?
    3) If there are C2 rev. 1.0 boards, how do you identify them?
    4) If "rev. 1.1" doesn't indicate C2 boards specifically, then what's the difference between 1.0 and 1.1?

Jamin280672 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: G1.Sniper M5 C2 Identification

Here's a question for you, how do you even know there s a revised version of this board, have they even revised it ?

I have the Gigabyte Sniper Z87 and its always been rev 1.1, there was never a 1.0

EDIT, ive also just found this, apparently C2 stepping is done by bios support, so even if you have the 1st revision of this board, you just need to update the bios to make it C2
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gigab...s-373171.shtml
    Last edited by Jamin280672; 03-03-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin280672 View Post
    Here's a question for you, how do you even know there s a revised version of this board, have they even revised it ?

I have the Gigabyte Sniper Z87 and its always been rev 1.1, there was never a 1.0

EDIT, ive also just found this, apparently C2 stepping is done by bios support, so even if you have the 1st revision of this board, you just need to update the bios to make it C2
    Gigabyte Updates BIOSes for Intel Z87 Chipset Motherboards
    You can't fix defective hardware with a BIOS update. That BIOS is updated to support boards with the C2 hardware, it doesn't make C1 boards C2 boards.

The plain "Sniper Z87" came out long after the Haswell launch, and the launch of the M5. By that time, presumably Gigabyte had used up all their C1 chipsets, so it's likely that all Sniper Z87s are C2 boards. If I'm correct, the fact that the Sniper Z87's revision number starts at 1.1 further reinforces my suspicion that 1.1 denotes C2 boards.

I know there are 1.0 M5's because I've seen them. I know there are M5s with a revision other than 1.0 because Gigabyte went to the trouble of specifying "1.x" on the M5's page.

As far as I can tell, C2 is the newer stepping of Intel haswell processors, and the bios update is just to support them, a simple Google search shows this.

It says on that site that I linked, that the newer stepping fixes PCI-E etc, this is all built into the cpu now a days, hence there is no northbridge (chipset) on Intel boards anymore, it's all built into the cpu.

On a different note, I think you'll be ok with purchasing a board now as everything I've read relates back to July last year, all problems should be ironed out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin280672 View Post
    As far as I can tell, C2 is the newer stepping of Intel haswell processors, and the bios update is just to support them, a simple Google search shows this.

It says on that site that I linked, that the newer stepping fixes PCI-E etc, this is all built into the cpu now a days, hence there is no northbridge (chipset) on Intel boards anymore, it's all built into the cpu.
    You're directly contradicting your link. It says "added support for Intel C2-stepping chipset". Chipset, not CPU.

And if it was an update to support new CPU steppings, that would be completely irrelevant to this thread. The topic of this thread is boards with C2 chipsets.

As for the 'PCI-E issues', I remember there were some issues with PCI-E performance on some Gigabyte boards. The boards were causing the issues, nothing to do with the CPU. I assumed that it involved the board's switching of PCI-E lanes, or the PCI lanes off the chipset (some still do come off the chipset), but I never had any reason to look into that specific topic. Glad to hear they addressed the issue.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't say anything about a new stepping fixing any PCI-E issues. It says that they "managed to improve the PCIE-E compatibility" in reference to the new BIOS. You're misreading things.
    Last edited by oubadah; 03-03-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Thread Information