Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FSB tweak or ...

dizzolve is offline Junior Member

Default Re: FSB tweak or ...

I have some excellent news. I found out how to play Crysis 2. Apparently ATI overdrive is bugged ....... or isn't compatible with the game. It was a simple matter of DEoverclocking my Graphics Card. How ironic

unselect overdrive and it's playing great.

Now maybe I can REALLY test my base system Overclocks

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

With your recently purchased (used) 4GB Corsair memory kit, you should first verify that your system is stable at stock cpu speeds.
    One Memtest86+ loop is better than nothing, but not by much.
    To save some time testing with no overclock, run 10 loops of Memtest86+ using the #5 test by pressing the following keys after it starts:
    1. c
    2. 1
    3. 3
    4. 5 (this is for running test #5)
    5. Enter
    6. 0 (zero)

Run IBT or LinX using 2048MB of memory for 5 or 10 loops as long as cpu core temperatures are less than 80oC.
    If there are no errors, boot into windows and run Prime95 for at least 3 hours.
    Run a Unigine Heaven benchmark test and save a screen-shot of the scores and settings pop up window at the end of the test.
    Play Crysis 2 for at least one hour.
    note: your video card issues might be related to the video driver and/or catalyst/ATI Overdrive versions that you are running. The latest and greatest versions might not be best with your hardware.

I recommend the following settings:
    Code:
    CPU Clock Ratio ___________________[8x]
    CPU Frequency _____________________[2.66GHz (333x8)]
    CPU Host Clock Control_____________[Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [101] <-- 101 or 100 is OK, don't use Auto or higher than 101
    Performance Enhance________________[Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____[2.40]
    Memory Frequency(MHz)____[800]_____[800]
    DRAM Timing Selectable___(SPD)_____[Manual]

***** Standard Timing Control *****
    CAS Latency Time________________5__[5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5__[5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5__[5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________5__[18]
    ***** Advanced Timing Control *****
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)________ 3__[Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay_______ 3__[Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay_______ 6__[Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay___________52__[Auto] <-- your previous 50 setting is probably too low with 4GB, even with memory speed near 800MHz
    Read to Precharge Delay________ 3__[Auto]
    Static tRead Value_____________ 7__[ 6 ] Don't set to auto, 6 should be good up about 420MHz FSB
    Static tRead Phase Adjust______25__[Auto] note: the value displayed to the left is usually 1 with the Auto setting

System Voltage Control_____________[Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control___________[+0.1V] <-- +0.10 to +0.20 might be needed, max = +0.30
    FSB OverVoltage Control____________[+0.1V]
    FSB DeOverVoltage Control__________[+0.10V] <-- I don't remember this in my P35-DS3L bios
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_________[+0.10V] < -- with 4GB of memory, more or less might be needed
    CPU GTREF Voltage Ratio____________[0.636]  <-- I don't remember this in my P35-DS3L bios
    CPU Voltage Control________________[1.35625V] <-- this is one tick higher than the normal 1.35000 voltage for your cpu
    Normal CPU Vcore___________________[1.35000V] 
    notes:
    • Once you stock settings are stable, save the settings as one of your saved bios profiles.
    • From the main bios screen, always press CTRL + F1 before you go into the MIT section.
    • Each cpu voltage tick is 1/160V or 0.00625, your 1.40 setting was 8 ticks higher than the normal 1.35000 setting.
    • Make detailed notes of each of your settings and include detailed notes of all problems with the settings and save these notes.
    • I copy and save my more involved posts using Notepad repeatedly to protect against loosing all of the text.
    • The advanced editing forum window ofter periodically "auto saves" your post and you can often recover all of most of your post when you go back into the editor and click on the restore option that should appear in the lower left corner of the editing window.
    • Ignore your GPU overclocking for now.

This is a screen-shot of your memory's SPD for a single 2GB kit.

It's helpful to post a cropped screen-shot that displays 4 Cpu-z panels and the Memset settings and SPD screens.

FSB tweak  or ...-p35-cpu-memset-sample-screen-shot-jpg

The Cpu-z Caches and About windows are not needed.

Memset download: Tweakers.fr
    Cpu-z download: CPU-Z CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
    HWiNFO64 download: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Minor nitpicking: Your mobo revision number is 1.0 or a similar number and is in the lower left rear corner of your motherboard.
    The G0 setting is probably the stepping number of your cpu.
    Last edited by profJim; 03-28-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Again here is enough information to keep me busy for a couple days :D But this is great because more tuning is definitely needed. I've found although the system is performing great for what I do - it does still crash after 6 hours or so. During the 6 hours of operation I've been playing Crysis 2 and streaming content from JTV for entertainment while surfing site's like these - and it takes me not but one topic to get 15 tabs open lol .... I have a habit of opening to new window or tab so I don't forget where I was coming from - or can return and take the left instead of right.

Under Crysis2 loads at near max settings using the bios config last shown my temps haven't past 60c which I find promising. Maybe the heat voltage ratio doesn't scale evenly the higher you get but so far I haven't had heat issues. I did on the graphics card when I first turned off the ati overdrive utility/app, but that was just because the manual fan control was disabled. MSI afterburner solved that issue without having to use ati drivers to adjust.

This kind of personalized advice is incredibly valuable to me and I can't overstate my appreciation. Again I will follow the recent guidelines to further tune this system up and see what we can accomplish. I'm going to be busy for the next couple days - I play drums in a band and we have some things going on but I can't wait to implement these ideas - once I do I'll post some screamies :)

I'm so relieved that my graphics card isn't completely worthless yet. I know it's older tech and it wont be long before it is worthless, but it was a real thrill to be playing my game again. After all that was the impetus to this entire excursion - little did I know increasing VGA performace was accomplishing the opposite of what I desired. Anyhow - I'll come out of this with a lot of knowledge and a lot of tools to better help me tweak my computer for whatever it is I'll need it to do.

Thanks!

Your welcome.

When I post the bios settings, I use the Wrap Code Option (# icon) option instead of the Wrap Quote Option that you used.
    I don't like the default Code font.
    To see the settings that I've used in this post, click on Reply with Quote to see the control characters that are generated with the Font and Color editing options.

note: most of the Font options will not display with the columns lined up.

Here is an example that can be used:
    Code:
    CPU Clock Ratio ___________________[8x]
    CPU Frequency _____________________[2.66GHz (333x8)]
    CPU Host Clock Control_____________[Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [101] <-- 101 or 100 is OK, don't use Auto or higher than 101
    Performance Enhance________________[Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____[2.40]
    Memory Frequency(MHz)____[800]_____[800]
    DRAM Timing Selectable___(SPD)_____[Manual]

***** Standard Timing Control *****
    CAS Latency Time________________5__[5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5__[5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5__[5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________5__[18]
    ***** Advanced Timing Control *****
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)________ 3__[Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay_______ 3__[Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay_______ 6__[Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay___________52__[Auto] <-- your previous 50 setting is probably too low with 4GB, even with memory speed near 800MHz
    Read to Precharge Delay________ 3__[Auto]
    Static tRead Value_____________ 7__[ 6 ] Don't set to auto, 6 should be good up about 420MHz FSB
    Static tRead Phase Adjust______25__[Auto] note: the value displayed to the left is usually 1 with the Auto setting
    Have fun with your music, I won't hold my breath waiting for your next results post.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

I had to go out for a few hours today so I ran the memory test for longer - under stock CPU settings + optimized bios settings using the instruction list you posted. It's not the exact bios config you posted but it's what I had time for and stopped it when I got back. I took a pic though in case you're interested. No errors as of that test though.117 passes

FSB tweak  or ...-image-1-jpg

I'm going out for an extended period of time tomorrow and will try to set it exactly as posted above for that test. These were the settings I guess GB thought were optimal for my system config. The sticker says 5-6-6-18 though

Just a few thoughts on memtest86+ that may be misleading/outdated.

How long does memtest run? How do I stop it?
    Memtest runs indefinitely unless you stop it. It does however repeat the same tests over and over again. Memtest86+ contains a number of different tests which each take different approaches in trying to expose any errors in our memory. In the top right of your screen you can see the progress of each test in the lower of the two progress bars. The topmost progress bar shows the progress of a pass, each pass consists of all the tests in the memtest suite. Thus all tests are executed in one pass, so does that mean that no errors will show after the first pass if that pass didn't reveal any errors? Well no, there are several reasons why errors might only show up after a number of passes. Firstly as of this writing, the latest version of memtest also includes a test which uses random test patterns, each pass these patterns will of course be different. Secondly some types of errors simply don't show up until the system has been running for a while or are very critical on a certain timing condition, or other such conditions.

To conclude, one successful pass of memtest will give you a pretty good idea that your memory is ok, only in rare cases will there be errors showing after the first pass. To be sure though simply have the test run overnight or even for a couple of days depending on the level of importance of the system.

- How many errors are acceptable?

No errors are acceptable. Even if there is just one error, something is amiss which can cause your system to crash. Of course what the cause of the errors is you will still have to determine.

I'm getting errors in test #5 and/or #8 and have read a lot about it.
    Yes there are just about enough discussions on the topic to fill a book, but it all boils down to the answer given above. The only thing that can be said is that many times, when memory latencies are incorrectly set in the BIOS you will experience errors in test #5 and #8. (Though #8 does not exist anymore as of version 1.40 and might be reinstated as a different test in a later version.) This does however NOT mean that errors in these tests are always the cause of incorrect settings; your memory might just as well be defective. However, if you have a failing module they will usually fail in test 4 no matter what frequency you run them at or at any given clock setting. And failures in test 5 or 8 usually would suggest that either one of a few things:

A. The settings are too tight or to aggressive for your system, IE not every MB can run with Cass timings of Cass 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 like with our XMS3200XL modules, and maybe relaxing the timings to check for this would be prudent to test. Try Cass 2-3-2-5 with the Rass to Cass set to “3” for example

B. You may have an un-stable power supply for your system configuration. Make sure that you have the correct type of PSU (Power Supply Unit) and that it has enough power for your system configuration.

C. You may want to look your specific modules part# up in XMS Qualifications and Testing to see if there are any voltage and/or MB requirements. Like adding extra cooling.

D. One of your modules may be failing, but that would or should become apparent when testing then individually.
    The above was taken from memtest86+, now associated with canardpc.com. Basically one pass will be good depending on how important your machine is.

The AUTO 5-7-7-24 primary memory timings are conservative settings that will usually work with memory rated for cas5 at 1066MHz. Your screen-shot shows that your memory's model number is CM2X2048-8500C5C. You stated that label on your memory says that it is rated for 1066MHz using 5-6-6-18.

The cpu-z SPD screen-shot that I included in post #22 was for CM2X2048-8500C5D memory using 5-5-5-15 primary memory timings at 1066MHz and DDR2 memory voltage at 2.10 volts. The standard voltage is 1.80 volts so you would need to set this to +0.30 to run the memory at 2.10 volts. Your memory might be stable using 2.00 volts.

The 3 hour Memtest86+ test using test #5 is a waste of your time. A much more rigorous test would be with Prime95 for the same amount of time.
    Make sure that round off checking is enabled in Prime95 before you start the first test.

FSB tweak  or ...-prime95-round-checking-enabled-png

Running one Memtest86+ standard test loop of 8 tests will take about the same amount of time as running 10 - 15 loops using test #5.
    A 3 - 5 hour Prime95 test with no errors is a pretty good indication that you system is reasonably stable. Once I've reached my overclocking goal, I finish up with three separate 8 - 12 hour Prime95 tests using the Small FFT, Blend, and Large FFT options.

Your single 5770 video card with Crysis 2 should run smoother when you lower the monitor's screen resolution to 1680 x 1050 and use lower game quality settings.
    Last edited by profJim; 03-30-2014 at 08:17 PM.

I've been able to run the memtest+ for 4+ hours with no errors. That was at the settings you posted (non OC'd)

Also ran for 3 hours or so at OC settings.

I put together a crop of CPU-Z of the current OC. I know the voltage is still up high but when I reduced it the system was unstable. That's not to say I'm completely stable now though. Although it seems more stable. Instability doesn't happen during games using this OC config.

With these settings I get crashes when I use my computer as TV.
    I stream live video from JTV when I go to sleep and it always ends up crashed by the time I wake up. Sometimes after 1hr sometimes after 6hr. Sometimes its bsod and sometimes it's just the flash app.
    In order to avoid this I tried reverting to plain old optimized settings (no OC) for watching vids but to my surprise it still crashes! This only started happening after I posted this thread so it's a newer issue. Since it doesn't happen under
    optimized settings I can't be sure it's because of my tweaking.

The RAM is the only hardware difference so it must have to do with it and the settings both OC and not OC. These crashes are sort of an aside. I don't want to get bogged down on this issue even though it will be addressed eventually. Main reason for posting here today was to get this SS of CPU-Z up.

FSB tweak  or ...-cpu-zvalues3-15ghz-jpg
    Last edited by dizzolve; 04-04-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Changed 2 things before this SS

~tRFC to 55
    ~and as you suggested changed static tread value from auto to manual @ 6
    FSB tweak  or ...-memsetss-jpg
    Last edited by dizzolve; 04-04-2014 at 06:13 AM.

I know OC the graphics card comes last, but I did find a few things that might help when it comes time to cross that bridge.

My Radeon HD 5770 drivers don't allow voltage adjustments. But I found a couple possible workarounds

1- Sapphire's triXX tweak utility appears to allow voltage adjustments. I have not tried it out yet though
    2- Also found this thread over on guru3d HOW TO: Enable UNOFFICIAL overclocking mode in MSI AfterBurner - Guru3D.com Forums which shows how to edit Afterburner to enable voltage tweak. Also have not tried this. I'll report back when I have though
    3-http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/ bios editor
    Last edited by dizzolve; 04-04-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information