Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows not starting after BIOS update

Default Windows not starting after BIOS update

I have a GA-H61MA-D3V motherboard and Windows 7 Home Pro. I wanted to update my BIOS from F3 so that I could upgrade my G850 CPU to something like an i5.

Qflash isn't available for this, so I tried using @BIOS. It updated to F6 and the computer rebooted. It got to the Windows logo before telling me that something was wrong and that I needed to try to repair. The repair did not work. I went to the BIOS menu and tried loading optimized defaults, and the same thing happened.

I took out the CMOS for several minutes, put it back in. I was told that the BIOS had been reset. Windows has the same problem and cannot repair. I went to the BIOS menu (it says F6 even after the CMOS thing) and tried loading optimized defaults, and it's still not booting.

I don't think I've seen a "safe defaults" option anywhere, or I'd try that.

I found this thread where the person had to fresh install Windows (that's just booting with the Windows install disc in, right?), and I guess I'll try that if no one has any other suggestions.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Windows not starting after BIOS update

First, if you updated your BIOS code from F3 to F6, you now have F6. If you reset the CMOS (took out the CMOS? Do you mean the battery?) all that does is reset the BIOS settings, not the BIOS code version.

Next, whenever you change to a new BIOS version, like F3 to F6, all the BIOS settings are reset to their default values. When someone has Windows booting issues after a BIOS update, that is usually caused by a change of a BIOS setting, to its default value. That is usually the SATA mode, from AHCI to IDE, for example. Any idea what BIOS settings you were using before the update to F6?

A fresh install of Windows is a complete, new installation of Windows. That means ALL of your current drivers, programs, files, Windows settings, etc, will be wiped out, and you'll need to install all of them over again. So while a fresh install is started by booting from the Windows install disk, is that what you want to do?

I don't see an F3 BIOS version on your board's download page, is that what you really had?

I also see that your board has the dual BIOS feature, meaning two BIOS chips and two BIOS versions (potentially) on the board. The other BIOS could be F3 or whatever you had before the update, or even an earlier version, if one existed. You should be able to change to the other BIOS version, which might help you.

Default Re: Windows not starting after BIOS update

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, if you updated your BIOS code from F3 to F6, you now have F6. If you reset the CMOS (took out the CMOS? Do you mean the battery?) all that does is reset the BIOS settings, not the BIOS code version.

Next, whenever you change to a new BIOS version, like F3 to F6, all the BIOS settings are reset to their default values. When someone has Windows booting issues after a BIOS update, that is usually caused by a change of a BIOS setting, to its default value. That is usually the SATA mode, from AHCI to IDE, for example. Any idea what BIOS settings you were using before the update to F6?

A fresh install of Windows is a complete, new installation of Windows. That means ALL of your current drivers, programs, files, Windows settings, etc, will be wiped out, and you'll need to install all of them over again. So while a fresh install is started by booting from the Windows install disk, is that what you want to do?

I don't see an F3 BIOS version on your board's download page, is that what you really had?

I also see that your board has the dual BIOS feature, meaning two BIOS chips and two BIOS versions (potentially) on the board. The other BIOS could be F3 or whatever you had before the update, or even an earlier version, if one existed. You should be able to change to the other BIOS version, which might help you.
    I took out the CMOS battery, yes. It was suggested to me elsewhere.

I don't know what BIOS settings I had before the update. I had never changed them, so whatever the default is. The motherboard came with F3 when I bought it.

A fresh install is a worst case scenario, I'd certainly like to avoid it if possible. I lost some sleep worrying about that last night. But I will look into going back to F3 if it's available via dual BIOS, and I will play with that SATA setting.

Edit:I booted into Windows and my desktop just by turning on the computer. I was informed that the system restore worked (I had tried that a few boot attempts ago, so I'm not sure why it worked now). At first the time was set to January 1st, 2012, and I couldn't visit some websites, but that has fixed itself.

I currently do not have sound (volume mixer says "no audio device installed"). I'm not sure what to do about that.

Edit: Sound issue was my stupid mistake of putting the speakers in the wrong port. All is well.
    Last edited by seahorses; 04-07-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Thread Information