Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock

Default Re: Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Your problem might be caused by using mixed memory modules. See if you have better results by using only the two Kingston modules using memory slots #1 and #3.
    I tried with 3 different pairs of RAM (2x2GB Kingston Value DDR2-800 CL6, 2x2GB PQI DDR2-800 CL5 and HP/Nanya chips DDR2-800 CL6) alone and on the slots #1 and #3, but there was no difference.

When you have a freeze or reboot, check the windows Event Viewer to see if it provides information at the time of the problem. WhoCrashed or BlueScreenView should provide additional information.
    Usually it won't boot into windows(Win 10 Enterprise 64bit) but restart, and then there is no event logged. But if it boots (it can work for some time @3.3GHz 9.5x348MHz) after some time it will reboot with no blue screen and in the Event Log it is logged as Level Critical: Kernel Power - the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first...

OK, here is the crash dump analysis from WhoCrashed:
    Code:
    Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 27.12.2015 14:19:11 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122715-6093-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x13A1E0) 
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x157FFFFE8F98, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800C06D2AD2)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sun 27.12.2015 14:19:11 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: clfs.sys (CLFS!ClfsLsnNull+0x997) 
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x157FFFFE8F98, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800C06D2AD2)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\clfs.sys
    description: Common Log File System Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sun 27.12.2015 11:19:55 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122715-3843-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xC000021A (0xFFFFC0018439B960, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x1, 0x20CA5A0000)
    Error: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
    Bug check description: This means that an error has occurred in a crucial user-mode subsystem.
    There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware. 
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sat 05.12.2015 20:04:21 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120515-5531-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xCE (0xFFFFF801E809EFC0, 0x10, 0xFFFFF801E809EFC0, 0x0)
    Error: DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
    Bug check description: This indicates that a driver failed to cancel pending operations before unloading.

On Wed 18.11.2015 21:32:11 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111815-6703-02.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x3453, 0xFFFFE00152157200, 0x159232, 0x4)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. 

On Tue 17.11.2015 23:52:58 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111815-6703-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x3453, 0xFFFFE0010B152840, 0x13A913, 0x4)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. 
    I don't remember what settings I was trying then, but most probably it was below 3.4GHz because at anything above 3.4GHz, Windows won't boot.

I'm not familiar with your power supply and it might be part of the problem if it is a lower end model or if it's more than five years old.
    I was using an old Atrix 600W PSU, but on your advice I replaced it with a brand new Cooler Master G750M and still there is no improvement...

Please post a cropped screen-shot that includes four windows of the Cpu-z SPD panels that include detailed memory information for slot 1, slot 2, slot 3 and slot 4. Which bios version are you using and what is the motherboard version number?

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the profile page.

Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    When you are done with your hardware list, save the settings.

I have like 10 PC's and that is not my primary PC. I assembled it for fun, just to recall on the times when I was playing with Conroe, Kentsfield and latter Yorkfield.
    I already posted the configuration of the PC, but anyway:
    GA-P35-DS3L Rev. A2/ BIOS F9
    Xeon X5460 + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO /mod Noctua 140mm fan
    4x2GB DDR2-800 @CL5 5-5-18 CL2 (2xKingston Value RAM, 2xPQI DDR2-800 CL5)
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC @stock (GPU/vRAM @ 1020/6000MHz)
    SSD LiteOn M6 128GB (M.2 to SATA) + HDD WD Green 1TB
    Cooler Master G750M 750W PSU
    Samsung SyncMaster T240 1920x1200
    Cooler Master Mystique II case + 2xNoctua 120mm case fans
    ZALMAN K350M keyboard + Cooler Maser Sentinel Storm mouse

I have turned off all the power saving options in BIOS, I only left the thermal monitor. I also disabled all the unused ports and features. All the voltages are set to default.

Also a CPU-z validation might be of use:
    Sorry for replying that late, but I was abroad and I had a lot of work to do. Thank you for your answer and the will to help me.
    Last edited by gOJDO; 02-03-2016 at 06:06 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Luke has provided excellent screen-shots and accurate bios templates throughout this thread. Doing this speeds up finding solutions whenever he had problems after making bios changes. You need to include a detailed hardware list in your PC Specs or you forum profile. It's a royal PITA when posters don't do this. When posters don't do this, I stop helping them, I won't waste my time looking back through the thread to see if I can find the information I need. I didn't know what operating system you are using until I saw what you wrote when you added details about several of your earlier BSOD crash dumps.

The Windows 7 Help Forums has offered crash dump analysis and debugging help for years.
    Check out the Windows TenForums, BSOD Crashes and Debugging forum at BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 Forums to see if they can analyze your dumps and help to narrow down what is causing the crashes.

If you upload screen-shots to a site similar to Dropbox, you can add an image from a website that includes jpg, jpeg, png, or gif file formats. Always uncheck the box that says Retrieve remote file and reference locally. Using this feature lets you include as many images as you want in one post. This is how I included the following two images in this post.

You can copy the bios file template (below) into Notepad or any plain text editor. You can then edit each of the bios settings to accurately show what settings you are using and then you can copy and paste your settings into a post where you highlight all of the template and then click on the Wrap CODE tags around selected text editng option so that thhe post will have a full copy of your settings in a compact, scrolling window.

Code:
    CPU = Core2Quad Q9650, E0 SLB8W , cpuid=1067A [core stepping, sSpec, batch]
    Motherboard = P35-DS4, rev: 2.0
    BIOS Version = F14, Cpu Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120Xl AIO push/pull water cooling
    Ram = 4 x 2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500 (1066MHz, 2.2 – 2.3 volts max)
    Brand, Model#, Part#, And or Link

Q9650 @ 4.05GHz [450 x 9.0] L2 Cache = 12MB
    (Stock settings: 333 x 9.0 = 3.00GHz)

__________MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster________________: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio _______________________: [ 9x]
    Fine Clock Ratio ______________________: [0.0]
    CPU Frequency_____________________________4.05GHz (450 x 9.0)
    CPU Host Clock Control_________________: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)_______________: [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)____________: [101]
    Performance Enhance____________________: [Extreme]
    C.I.A. 2_______________________________: [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_________: [2.40]
    Memory Frequency(MHz)____ 800 _________: [1080]
    DRAM Timing Selectable___(SPD)_________: [Manual]

**** Standard Timing Control ****
    CAS Latency Time_______________4_______: [5] <-- aka tCL
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________4_______: [5] <-- aka tRCD
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______4_______: [5] <-- aka tRP
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________12_______: [15] 

**** Advanced Timing Control ****
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______ 3 ______: [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay______ 3 ______: [Auto] <-- aka tWTR
    Write to Precharge Delay______ 6 ______: [  4 ] <-- aka tWR
    Refresh to ACT Delay__________ 52 _____: [ 68 ] <-- aka tRFC or Refresh Cycle Time
    Read to Precharge Delay_______ 3 ______: [  5 ] <-- aka tRTP
    Static tRead Value____________ 7 ______: [  7 ] <-- aka tRD or Performance Level
    Static tRead Phase Adjust_____ 0 ______: [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD)_____________________: [ 2T ] <-- aka CpC or CR [n/a some models]

**** Clock Driving and Skew Control: ****
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control________: [???mV]  <-- n/a P35-DS4
    CPU Clock Skew Control_________________: [Normal] <-- n/a P35-DS4
    GMCH Clock Skew Control________________: [Normal] <-- n/a P35-DS4

**** System Voltage Control: ****
    System Voltage Control_________________: [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control_______________: [+0.35V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control________________: [+0.15V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control______________: [+0.25V]
    FSB DeOverVoltage Control______________: [?.??V] <-- n/a P35-DS4
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_____________: [+0.25V]
    CPU GTREF Voltage Ratio________________: [0.???]  <-- n/a P35-DS4 
    Loadline Calibration___________________: [ Auto ] <-- n/a P35-DS3L
    CPU Voltage Control____________________: [1.37500]
    Normal CPU Vcore_________________________ 1.26250V

**** Advanced BIOS Features: ****
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3__________________: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect______________: [Enabled] 
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability______________: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)________________: [Enabled]  <-- normally disabled while overclocking
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)_____________: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function______________________: [Enabled]  <-- normally disabled while overclocking
    Virtualization Technology______________: [Disabled] <-- Must be enabled for VMware/Virtual PC)
    Full Screen LOGO Show__________________: [Disabled]
    Init Display First_____________________: [PEG]

Integrated Peripherals:
    SATA AHCI Mode_________________________: [Enabled]
    SATA Port0-1 Native Mode_______________: [Enabled]
    Legacy USB Storage Detect______________: [Enabled] <-- Must be enabled to flash from USB) 
    ______^^^^^ sometimes causes overclocking problems

Power Management Setup
    HPET Support___________________________: [Enabled] <-- windows High Precision Event Timer
    HPET Mode______________________________: [64-bit]  <-- or 32-bit
    Including detailed information in your bios template settings and cropped screen-shots from HWiNFO, Memset SPD and other programs makes it much easier to find possible problems. This is what Luke did in this thread most of the time.

You can create and save up to eight different bios profiles while you are tweaking or fixing your system. Each saved bios profile should have a meaningful name so that you can later reload a saved profile. You can overwrite the profile's name if you want to save a new or modified profile in an existing profile's slot. If you are not familiar with loading or saving bios profiles your motherboard user manual's bios section describes how to do this.

After you have saved your current bios profile, do the following:

1. load optimized bios defaults
    2. make required bios setting changes in the bios so that your system will boot and any needed hardware or features are enabled
    3. you might need to make some additional bios changes for DDR2 OverVoltage Control, FSB OverVoltage Control, (G)MCH OverVoltage Control, CPU Voltage Control, etc.

You should use only one 2 x 2GB matching memory kit in slots 1 & 3 or in slots 2 & 4.

You might need to try Performance Enhance = Standard instead of the default Turbo option.

For the time being, don't change memory speed or memory timings.

Your main goal right now is to get your system stable, even if it means setting the cpu speed lower than its rated speed.
    Last edited by profJim; 02-07-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks for the reply @profJim

As for the settings I'm pretty much familiar with DS3L, DS4 and other Gigabyte mainboards. I have spent many hours OC-ing and playing with hardware and I consider my self a pro :D. I did some fast googling and I found some of my Core2 overclocks on Gigabyte mainboards and some 3D Mark benchmark validations from the time when Core2 CPUs were actual:

and some benches:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB/640MB video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6420,
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600,
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/349190

I was thinking that there is some kind of limitation or a trick with the LGA771 moded CPUS which are preventing the OC on my new "old" toy. As I said earlier I have 9 PC's and there is no point of adding this one in my profile since it's not my primary PC.

I played with all the voltages and options in the DS3L's BIOS, but I couldn't achieve any success. I couldn't find another C2Q to try, but I treid OC-ing a Core2 Duo E6750 on the same mainboard and it had no problems running stable at 3.4GHz 8x425MHz. So, either the CPU is pretty much limited or the motherboard/chipset can't handle a quad clocked that high and with 4 modules of RAM which are adding extra load. Since I've been playing with ~50 Core2 CPUs in my life and the worst one was OC-able for at least 20% I doubt that the CPU is the problem. More likely the motherboard itself is the problem, but not a setting. If I can find a better motherboard I will replace it and I will post back the results.

Regards,

Kiril
    Last edited by gOJDO; 02-04-2016 at 07:07 AM.

As I recall, Luke's highest stable overclock with his P35-DS3L 771 setup was in the 3.6 - 3.8GHz range. He later switched to an EP45-UD3P with 8GB of memory to see if he could reach 4.0GHz. In post #654 Luke said:

I seem to remember not having to inject any microcodes into the BIOS for my X5460 and just had the latest BIOS (f9C?) there was from the Gigabyte website.

I added microcodes to a BIOS later on for my EP45-UD3P and X5470 CPU following a guide on the website I found the xeon mod on. It might be worthwhile posting a request to the pro BIOS modder stasio in the Gigabyte Modified BIOS thread?
    Good luck, let us know how you make out.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Code:

**** Standard Timing Control ****
    CAS Latency Time_______________4_______: [5] <-- aka tCL
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________4_______: [5] <-- aka tRTC
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______4_______: [5] <-- aka tRP
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________12_______: [15] 

**** Advanced Timing Control ****
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______ 3 ______: [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay______ 3 ______: [Auto] <-- aka tWTR
    Write to Precharge Delay______ 6 ______: [  4 ] <-- aka tWR
    Refresh to ACT Delay__________ 52 _____: [ 68 ] <-- aka tRFC or Refresh Cycle Time
    Read to Precharge Delay_______ 3 ______: [  5 ] <-- aka tRP
    Static tRead Value____________ 7 ______: [  7 ] <-- aka tRD or Performance Level
    Static tRead Phase Adjust_____ 0 ______: [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD)_____________________: [ 2T ] <-- aka CpC or CR [n/a some models]

Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay = tRCD
    Read to Precharge Delay = tRTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay = tRCD
    Read to Precharge Delay = tRTP
    Oopsie
    Thanks.
    Corrections made.

Think I just broke my E5450. Got my hands on couple of these 771 Xeons. I had everything in Auto, first I put 400FSB=3600GHz, seemed stable vcore was ~1.2V. Then 3.8GHz seemed stable. Then I tried 4GHz with auto vcore (which probably wasn't very good idea). Got into Windows and managed to open cpuz and then system rebooted and always got bluescreen when loading windows. Bios reset didn't work. First I thought OS was just corrupted but decided to try another cpu and worked fine. Auto setting propably gave too low vcore which fried the chip (or is that even possible?).

Or there's a possibility that my mod sticker was badly inserted but haven't got the time to test it again. Well, have to be more patient with next chip and make much smaller increasements

Quote Originally Posted by QuadXeon View Post
    Think I just broke my E5450. Got my hands on couple of these 771 Xeons. I had everything in Auto, first I put 400FSB=3600GHz, seemed stable vcore was ~1.2V. Then 3.8GHz seemed stable. Then I tried 4GHz with auto vcore (which probably wasn't very good idea). Got into Windows and managed to open cpuz and then system rebooted and always got bluescreen when loading windows. Bios reset didn't work. First I thought OS was just corrupted but decided to try another cpu and worked fine. Auto setting propably gave too low vcore which fried the chip (or is that even possible?).

Or there's a possibility that my mod sticker was badly inserted but haven't got the time to test it again. Well, have to be more patient with next chip and make much smaller increasements
    you have updated microcode of your motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpitron View Post
    you have updated microcode of your motherboard?
    I have. Worked well couple of hours before that jump to 4GHz. I'll have to try later is it truly broke. I've never broke cpu before that's why I took such a big leaps (well and because the chip was basically free).

gyus hello, this is my first post. As i seen on many posts many guys managed to overclock their x5460. no manner how hard i tried by copying their setting or with a plain fsb and vcore increase i did not manage to get it stable even at a slightest overclock (3.2~3.6)at a Asus P5K Motherboard. These are my current settings for a 3.6 overclock goal.am i even close to my goal?

High Resolution image

http://i.imgur.com/9vGRZ5j.jpg

Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread Information