Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock

SlugMan is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock

Thanks for the reply.
    I've updated my specs in the my profile. Is there anything else I'm missing?
    Also, yes I forgot to mention my BIOS. It was originally given to me by the person i bought the x5460 from. But then I wanted to rule it out so I recreated my own F9 bios + 771 microcodes and reflashed only to have the same results.
    The RAM should be at v1.8 according the spec sheet for both 800 and 1066 modules I have. I have tried upping the RAM voltage to no change. Not sure why it's reporting voltage? I was thinking of hopping into MEMTEST86 to see what it'd say.
    I have scoured this thread, and others, to try and overclock my hardware. But I just don't get very far.
    1 - After manually setting stock values (as shown in the above screenshots) i begin by upping the FSB in 100mhz increments. 333 -> 342 -> etc until I get my first error/bsod as reported by Prime95
    2 - increase CPU voltage and drop FSB by 50mhz. It may last longer but eventually there still will be errors/bsod. try upping more CPU voltage some more. bsods become more frequent and eventually the computer doesn't bother showing them and just restarts.
    3 - attempt moving up other voltages to gain stability (mch, ram voltage, fsb voltage, each one by one with tests in between).
    with CPU temps hitting 70C and CPU voltages still nowhere near what I've set in the BIOS - in fact, and it may just my imagination, the gap between what I set and the highest reported voltage seems to increase, but i have no hard data on that. and I think the string of BSODs i received have ended up corrupting some Windows Update files that I can't repair (but that's another problem).

..and I'm lucky if I get to 3.4ghz before the sh*t hits the fan.

You don't seem concerned about my CPU voltage. any reason? All the other overclocked CPUz screenshots show voltages to be what was manually set in the BIOS. But mine do not (including on the PC Health Status BIOS screen).
    I have limited information on this, but the other voltages as I've seen in other folks HWMonitor screenshots show similar numbers for 12V, 5V and 3.3V. If my PSU was failing, shouldn't there either be a) higher fluctuations b) lower values. I have contemplated getting a PSU tester to be sure. But I'm running out of excuses to keep spending money on this aging machine.

oh, and the X5460 is C0 version, if that makes a difference.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I wonder if there is a problem with your bios microcode mod.
    I haven't personally used Xeon processors so I don't know how to check if the microcode mod is good or bad.

The first thing you should do is load optimized bios defaults, save settings and exit the bios, then reenter the bios if you want to make any bios changes.

If you haven't done so yet, test your system at stock speeds by running Prime95 for 3 hours, three times. Run the Prime95 Blend, small FFT and large FFT tests separately for three hours and stop if one of the Prime95 worker threads has an error. If your system has no errors after all three tests have completed, your system is somewhat stable. There's no sense trying to overclock if your system isn't stable at stock speeds. For me, a system is reasonably or mostly stable if each of the three Prime95 tests run for at least 8 hours.

This is a long shot, for now, try running with a 2 x 2GB instead of your 4 x 2GB setup.

I'll be back in about 7 hours and will check back on your progress.

Provide detailed information, such as the BSOD error code, for example 0x124.

Create a single screen-shot with the following Cpu-z windows: CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD.
    Memset v4.1 provides more detailed memory information.

I've found that Memset86+ is more reliable than the older, original Memset86 program.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I followed the directions here:
    How to Update CPU Microcode in Award or Phoenix BIOS - For LGA 771 & 775
    to create the BIOS I was originally given. There's a tool to check to see if the microcodes you need for your CPU are present and it seems to check out.
    I'll run Prime95 running over the next few days doing the tests you suggested. I've run it overnight a couple times when I returned back to 'manual-stock-settings'. Seemed to check out fine for an ~8 hour run, but I could be more thorough so I'll do that.
    I ran Memtest real quick, mostly to see what timings it reported for my RAM. looks fine there. I'll run that also for a few hours.
    here is a snapshot from 'BSOD-Viewer' to give you an idea of what BSODs I encountered during my last attempts at OC'ing: I'll post new ones as they happen and let me know if any of the following need more info.
    Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock-bsod-viewer-jpg
    and CPUZ

Just a quick update:
    I've run Mmntest86+ 5.01 for 8 long passes on the 800mhz modules. I was going to put the 1066 Crucial sticks back in, but: a) it's sweater season, static everywhere. b) They're a bit of an 'unknown' in terms of brand and I wanted to really tests them while I had them in.
    So after the 8 passes, they seem to check out fine. No errors reported.

other notes
    I have not reset the BIOS to stock/factory values. Still on the forced/manual stock settings I put it on.
    I'm about to leave Prime86 running for.. a long time. hopefully more than 8 hours.

Happy Holidays everyone!
    Don't let my silly problems distract you from any Holiday activities if you're participating!

another quick update:
    Prime95 - Blend Test - ran for a little more than 12 hours w/o incident.
    same bios settings and 800mhz RAM modules as mentioned in the previous post.

I'll start one of the FFT tests and let it run overnight.

curious HWMonitor readings. I've read that underload, CPU voltage does/can drop and it seems it dropped to the lowest value i've yet seen. Same goes for CPU clock speed. Remember, the BIOS settings should be forcing more stable voltage/clock speeds.... and probably also why I should be testing with 'optimized bios settings'

Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock-hwmonitor-12-23-2016-jpg

Hello, I have a Ga-p35-ds3 with mod for 771 Xeon e5450 I am quite lazy on the overclocking question I tried in some ways and always within 8 to 10 minutes I get BSOD, if anyone can help me I'll be grateful. My goal is 3.6ghz no more than that. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

We can help you after you have provided detailed information about your hardware.

When there are problems, such as BSOD's, provide a screen-shot from WhoCrashed v5.53 (free HOME edition) that shows details related to the crash.

You need to provide detailed cropped screen-shots that show what settings your system is using, including Cpu-Z (Cpu, Mainboard and Memory windows) , Memset v:4.1, HWiNFO and any other performance or benchmark windows.

Any time you make changes to your bios, post a new copy of your bios template that details which settings are set to AUTO, and all settings that have manual changes.

I have included a screen-shot and my bios template from my P35-DS4 system at the end of this post.

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs
    portion of your forum profile at the bottom of the profile page or in your forum signature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    When you are done editing or creating your hardware list, save the settings.

Sample filled in bios template
    Copy this template into NotePad or any plain text editor and fill in the bios settings. Save a copy of each bios template you create and paste the full updated information in your post each time you make any changes.

Code:
    CPU = Core2Quad Q9650, E0 SLB8W , cpuid=1067A [core stepping, sSpec, batch]
    Motherboard = P35-DS4, rev: 2.0
    BIOS Version = F14, Cpu Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120Xl AIO push/pull water cooling
    Ram = 4 x 2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500 (1066MHz, 2.2 – 2.3 volts max)
    Brand, Model#, Part#, And or Link

Q9650 @ 4.05GHz [450 x 9.0] L2 Cache = 12MB
    (Stock settings: 333 x 9.0 = 3.00GHz)

__________MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster________________: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio _______________________: [ 9x]
    Fine Clock Ratio ______________________: [0.0]
    CPU Frequency_____________________________4.05GHz (450 x 9.0)
    CPU Host Clock Control_________________: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)_______________: [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)____________: [101]
    Performance Enhance____________________: [Extreme]
    C.I.A. 2_______________________________: [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_________: [2.40]
    Memory Frequency(MHz)____ 800 _________: [1080]
    DRAM Timing Selectable___(SPD)_________: [Manual]

**** Standard Timing Control ****
    CAS Latency Time_______________4_______: [5] <-- aka tCL
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________4_______: [5] <-- aka tRCD
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______4_______: [5] <-- aka tRP
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________12_______: [15] 

**** Advanced Timing Control ****
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______ 3 ______: [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay______ 3 ______: [Auto] <-- aka tWTR
    Write to Precharge Delay______ 6 ______: [  4 ] <-- aka tWR
    Refresh to ACT Delay__________ 52 _____: [ 68 ] <-- aka tRFC or Refresh Cycle Time
    Read to Precharge Delay_______ 3 ______: [  5 ] <-- aka tRTP
    Static tRead Value____________ 7 ______: [  7 ] <-- aka tRD or Performance Level
    Static tRead Phase Adjust_____ 0 ______: [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD)_____________________: [ 2T ] <-- aka CpC or CR [n/a some models]

**** Clock Driving and Skew Control: ****
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control________: [???mV]  <-- n/a P35-DS4
    CPU Clock Skew Control_________________: [Normal] <-- n/a P35-DS4
    GMCH Clock Skew Control________________: [Normal] <-- n/a P35-DS4

**** System Voltage Control: ****
    System Voltage Control_________________: [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control_______________: [+0.35V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control________________: [+0.15V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control______________: [+0.25V]
    FSB DeOverVoltage Control______________: [?.??V] <-- n/a P35-DS4
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_____________: [+0.25V]
    CPU GTREF Voltage Ratio________________: [0.???]  <-- n/a P35-DS4 
    Loadline Calibration___________________: [ Auto ] <-- n/a P35-DS3L
    CPU Voltage Control____________________: [1.37500]
    Normal CPU Vcore_________________________ 1.26250V

**** Advanced BIOS Features: ****
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3__________________: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect______________: [Enabled] 
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability______________: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)________________: [Enabled]  <-- normally disabled while overclocking
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)_____________: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function______________________: [Enabled]  <-- normally disabled while overclocking
    Virtualization Technology______________: [Disabled] <-- Must be enabled for VMware/Virtual PC)
    Full Screen LOGO Show__________________: [Disabled]
    Init Display First_____________________: [PEG]

Integrated Peripherals:
    SATA AHCI Mode_________________________: [Enabled]
    SATA Port0-1 Native Mode_______________: [Enabled]
    Legacy USB Storage Detect______________: [Enabled] <-- Must be enabled to flash from USB) 
    ______^^^^^ sometimes causes overclocking problems

Power Management Setup
    HPET Support___________________________: [Enabled] <-- windows High Precision Event Timer
    HPET Mode______________________________: [64-bit]  <-- or 32-bit

Last edited by profJim; 02-03-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

iakoboss7 is offline Junior Member

Hello,

I just got a modded E5450 E0 to swap my old Q6600 OC @3Ghz.

i did the bios mod (inserted microcodes) and the cpu works PERFECT ( i tested 2 hours with prime95), Core Temp even shows a VID of 1.18750 (thats what i use also) and my temps are cant go higher than 65C on Intel burn test (60 on prime95).

I want to overclock it to 3.6Ghz (or more if possible) BUT whenever i try windows 10 refuses to boot no matter the volt i use! It says that i need to use a recovery disk to repair windows, but when i remove the overclock windows boots up fine!

these are my settings Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock-img_20170221_001057-jpg

i have tried voltages up to 1.34 but nothing changes.
    Last edited by iakoboss7; 02-21-2017 at 06:32 AM.

iakoboss7 is offline Junior Member

Sorry for double posting but i wanted to post the rest of the bios settings (sorry also if this isnt the correct thread but i couldnt find anything better).

Socket 771 Mod Xeon X5460 GA-P35-DS3L Overclock-img_20170221_013456-jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you are using two different brands of memory and this might be part of the problem. You need to include the part numbers for your memory, memory sizes and how much memory you have installed.

When overclocking you can't just jump to much higher speeds and expect things to work.

A single two hour Prime95 test isn't good enough to say that your system is stable.

Your best source of information is to do web searches for sites or forums that deal with Xeon overclocking and/or P5Q motherboards.

The following web searches will help you find information that will help you with setting up your bios and how to stress test your system to make sure that it is stable.

search using: xeon p5q overclock guide tutorial official

The following links should help get you started.

Another site that might help is XtremeSystems Forums

Some sites might have P5Q bios templates where they have included bios settings that will include some suggested settings that will help.

I've included a bios template at the end of this post that you can copy and add your settings. If you want to post your bios template use Notepad or any plain text editor. I save a copy of each bios setting template that I try and add notes to it that describe what worked better and what problems I encountered.

You might find some youtube videos that will help you with your overclock.

Hopefully you will find some good sites that still have a couple of members that can provide additional help, but there probably aren't very many people that have moved away from P45 systems a long time ago.

If you have images stored on the web, such as DropBox, you can include multiple images and/or screen-shots in one post.

Sorry, I don't have experience overclocking Asus motherboards.

Generic Asus P5Q Deluxe bios template
    Code:
    JumperFree Configuration Settings:

AI Overclock tuner: _______________ AUTO --> set to MANUAL when overclocking
    CPU Ratio Setting: ________________ 9 --> for cpu with a 9x multiplier
    FSB Strap to North Bridge: ________ AUTO 
    FSB Frequency: ____________________ AUTO
    PCI-E Frequency: __________________ AUTO
    DRAM Frequency: ___________________ 800 Mhz
    DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: ______ AUTO
    DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: ______ AUTO
    DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: ______ AUTO
    DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: ______ AUTO
    DRAM Timing Control: ______________ AUTO

1st Information :

CAS# Latency: _____________________ AUTO
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: __________ AUTO
    DRAM RAS# Precharge: ______________ AUTO
    DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: __ AUTO
    RAS# to RAS# Delay : ______________ AUTO
    Row Refresh Cycle Time: ___________ AUTO
    Write Recovery Time: ______________ AUTO
    Read to Precharge Time: ___________ AUTO

2nd Information :

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): ________ AUTO
    Write to Read Delay (S): __________ AUTO
    WRITE to READ Delay (D): __________ AUTO
    READ to READ Delay (S): ___________ AUTO
    READ to READ Delay (D): ___________ AUTO
    WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): _________ AUTO
    WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): _________ AUTO

3rd Information :

WRITE to PRE Delay: _______________ AUTO
    READ to PRE Delay: ________________ AUTO
    PRE to PRE Delay: _________________ AUTO
    ALL PRE to ACT Delay: _____________ AUTO
    ALL PRE to REF Delay: _____________ AUTO
    DRAM Static Read Control: _________ Disabled
    DRAM Read Training: _______________ Disabled
    MEM. OC Charger: __________________ Enabled
    AI Clock Twister: _________________ Lighter (when overclocking)
    AI Transaction Booster: ___________ Manual  (when overclocking)
    Common Performance Level __________ AUTO
    Pull-In of CHA PH1: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHA PH2: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHA PH3: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHA PH4: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH1: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH2: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH3: _______________ DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH4: _______________ DISABLED

CPU Voltage: ______________________ AUTO
    CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): __ AUTO
    CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): __ AUTO
    CPU PLL Voltage: __________________ AUTO <-- never higer than 1.59 with high overclocks
    FSB Termination Voltage: __________ AUTO <-- never higer than 1.40 with high overclocks
    DRAM Voltage: _____________________ AUTO
    NB Voltage: _______________________ AUTO
    NB GTL Reference: _________________ AUTO
    SBridge Voltage: __________________ AUTO
    PCIE SATA Voltage: ________________ AUTO

Load Line Calibration: ____________ Enabled
    CPU Spread Spectrum: ______________ Disabled
    PCIE Spread Spectrum: _____________ Disabled
    CPU Clock Skew : __________________ Auto
    NB Clock Skew : ___________________ Auto

Advance CPU Settings
    CPU Ratio Setting: ________________ ?
    CPU VID: __________________________ Default
    C1E Suppport: _____________________ Disabled <-- for max stability while overclocking
    Max CPUID Value Limit: ____________ Disabled
    Intel® Virtualization Tech: _______ Disabled
    Vanderpool Technology: ____________ Disabled
    CPU TM Function: __________________ Enabled 
    Execute Disable Bit: ______________ Enabled
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread Information