Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-Z97-D3H bios can't "see" Samsung XP941 in M.2 socket

Default Re: GA-Z97-D3H bios can't "see" Samsung XP941 in M.2 socket

Just to update and respond to recent posts- I have tried two motherboards of the four I have and two XP941 drives. All parts behave the same. I too am perplexed as to why other Z97 boards seem to have this figured out but Gigabyte cannot. Waiting for latest response from Gigabyte...

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maceo40505 View Post
    Just to update and respond to recent posts- I have tried two motherboards of the four I have and two XP941 drives. All parts behave the same. I too am perplexed as to why other Z97 boards seem to have this figured out but Gigabyte cannot. Waiting for latest response from Gigabyte...
    Stay on them...they should already have the bios ready by now since the boards are out. I love Gigabyte boards but when it comes to bios...well I wish they would hire some more people.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Most recent communication from Gigabyte suggests I should contact Samsung... classic! Not a single question or suggestion about any BIOS settings.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Most recent communication from Gigabyte suggests I should contact Samsung... classic! Not a single question or suggestion about any BIOS settings.
    That's a shame, I wonder if they (support) don't understand the issue, or do but don't want to admit it exists.

My understanding of the situation is the XP941 requires the EFI SATA option ROM (provided by Intel for Intel boards) which is part of the BIOS/UEFI file. The legacy SATA option ROM (also part of the BIOS/UEFI file) will not allow the XP941 to boot an OS. That is at least one reason Samsung did not sell the XP941 at retail in the past, it was only available to manufactures building AIO PCs (mainly if not only laptops), so they could be sure those PCs were configured correctly.

The UEFI booting compatibility information from the Anandtech review confirms this, since that type of installation will use the EFI SATA option ROM.

The CSM option in the BIOS/UEFI controls legacy or UEFI booting (enabled = Legacy booting), and many boards have sub-options when CSM is enabled that allow you to select/use the EFI SATA option ROM. At least some ASRock boards have had that option since Z77 boards were introduced, and I use(d) UEFI booting Windows 7 and 8 installations on ASRock Z77, Z87, and Z97 boards.

GA-Z97-D3H bios can't "see" Samsung XP941 in M.2 socket-asrock-csm-option-jpg

Check if your BIOS/UEFI has the CSM option (I can't imagine it won't...) and if so when set to Enabled (default) check if you have the option to choose the EFI SATA/storage option ROM. That should (in theory) allow you to boot an OS from the XP941. That of course assumes that the EFI OROM exists in the BIOS/UEFI file.

The Gigabyte BIOS menu does have a CSM setting but it is only revealed after selecting "Windows 8" under the "Windows 8 Features" setting. I have tried that but the Windows 7 installer will not even start with this setting. With the "Windows 8" setting selected a "CSM Support" setting is revealed with "Always" and "Never" as the choices. There is also a "Boot Mode Selection" setting with "UEFI and Legacy", "Legacy Only", and "UEFI only" as the choices. With the "Windows 8 Features" set to "Other OS" (required for anything other than Windows 8) there is a setting for "Other PCI Device ROM Priority" with "UEFI OpROM" and "Legacy OpROM" as the choices. I have tried both with no luck.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has taken an interest in this thread- this has been a most frustrating build and it really helps to know there are others out there trying to help solve this.

boondocks is offline Senior Member

The Gigabyte BIOS menu does have a CSM setting but it is only revealed after selecting "Windows 8" under the "Windows 8 Features" setting. I have tried that but the Windows 7 installer will not even start with this setting. With the "Windows 8" setting selected a "CSM Support" setting is revealed with "Always" and "Never" as the choices. There is also a "Boot Mode Selection" setting with "UEFI and Legacy", "Legacy Only", and "UEFI only" as the choices. With the "Windows 8 Features" set to "Other OS" (required for anything other than Windows 8) there is a setting for "Other PCI Device ROM Priority" with "UEFI OpROM" and "Legacy OpROM" as the choices. I have tried both with no luck.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has taken an interest in this thread- this has been a most frustrating build and it really helps to know there are others out there trying to help solve this.
    I would stay on Gigabyte until they gave me a satisfactory answer.

Otherwise;
    Can you find anyone else using this particular M.2 drive?

Did you buy your board at Newegg? They have an in-house Gigabyte support person that is pretty helpful.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

I just got a slightly more encouraging reply from Gigabyte indicating they are actually looking into the issue- this is an upgrade from the stock responses I was getting at first. They also asked me to try with Windows 8 which I will do later today. I think the one person I have seen with this combo functioning was running Windows 8 so it just might work though I loath Win 8!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Why must they make those options so complicated with goofy settings (what's the difference between "Always" and Enabled, or "Never" and Disabled?)

So no CSM option without the "Windows 8" setting. Windows 7 officially supports UEFI booting installations, I've done it myself.

So only a PCI device option ROM option, that's a shame and is one reason why your installation would not work. You can see my ASRock board has the "Storage OpROM Policy" that allows you to use the EFI compatible SATA option ROM instead of the standard legacy option ROM with legacy booting OS installations. You would think the option you do have (PCI, not PCIe?) would be related to SSDs that use the M.2 inteface, which uses PCIe lanes, but apparently not.

A guy posting in the ASRock support forum has an XP941 as his OS drive, using an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board, lotuspro is his name.

I hope Windows 8 works for you, but if the EFI compatible SATA OROM is not in the BIOS file, IMO it won't help.

parsec- There is a "Storage Boot Option Control" with choices of "Disabled", "UEFI only", "Legacy only", "Legacy First", and "UEFI only". I have tried all. Also in the SATA setup area if SATA Mode Selection = RAID the following settings become available: "M.2 PCIE SSD RAID Mode" with options of "Enabled" or "Disabled". "SATA Express SRIS capabilities" with options of "Auto", "Disabled", and "Enabled". Most of my testing has been with the SATA Mode set to "RAID" and the other two fields at their default settings of "Enabled" and "Auto" respectively.

I tested last night with Windows 8.1 and many different BIOS settings but getting all the same results as with Win 7.

I found a person on the hardware forum at www.BeyondWindows9.com who claims to have a XP941 boot drive on a Gigabyte Z97 board but I have been unable to contact him directly.

Update: Gigabyte finally gave me these settings to try and they worked with Windows 8.1. Apparently installing from an optical drive is a very important part of getting this combo to work. Still pressing for a Windows 7 solution.

From Gigabyte Supprt:
    Peripherals:
    SATA Mode Raid
    Bios Features :
    CSM - Never
    make sure to choose UEFI as the boot type for your optical drive and make sure to supply the raid driver for the board during OS Installation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information