Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '32 GB (31.9 GB usable)' - 119MB of RAM 'Hardware Reserved' for no reason.

Default '32 GB (31.9 GB usable)' - 119MB of RAM 'Hardware Reserved' for no reason.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force, and I want to know why 119MB of my RAM is unusable even though I have a dedicated GPU and have the CPU's IGP disabled.

When I started my first round of testing on this board, I briefly used the IGP. When I installed my GPU and disabled the IGP, I noticed that Windows was still reporting '32 GB (31.9 GB usable)', which I thought was strange. Then I reformatted the PC, and it no longer showed any reserved RAM so I thought that was the end of it. However, I just reformatted the PC a second time with the GPU installed and the IGP disabled exactly as it was on the first reformat, and now it's back to reserving 119MB of RAM. Why is it doing this?

And before anyone says it, no, the loss of 119MB of RAM out of 32GB obviously isn't the end of the world, but it's the symptom of some dysfunction, and I want to know what the problem is. If my RAM or board is faulty, or if the BIOS is buggy, I want to know.

Default Re: '32 GB (31.9 GB usable)' - 119MB of RAM 'Hardware Reserved' for no reason.

Your RAM is fine, and so is the BIOS.

Investigate memory usage with Windows 7 Resource Monitor - TechRepublic

Scroll down to Hardware Reserved.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Default Re: '32 GB (31.9 GB usable)' - 119MB of RAM 'Hardware Reserved' for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Your RAM is fine, and so is the BIOS.

Investigate memory usage with Windows 7 Resource Monitor - TechRepublic

Scroll down to Hardware Reserved.
    In that case, how come:

1) I've never seen such larger amounts of memory 'hardware reserved' in any other system I've owned (the older system I'm using right now has a total of 1MB hardware reserved)?

2) It didn't appear to reserve so much before I reformatted?

Trade ya. j/k

'32 GB (31.9 GB usable)' - 119MB of RAM 'Hardware Reserved' for no reason.-capture-jpg
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I'd sooner trade for my old PC's usage:

Seriously though, 10MB to 70MB is 'typical' these days? Why do modern systems use so much?

And I'm still not convinced that there isn't something abnormal happening with the 119MB PC. Why is it inconsistent. If it had started at 119MB, and remained at 119MB I'd be inclined to accept that as 'normal', but the fact that it was less than that just before I reformatted makes me think the disable IGP setting in the BIOS is buggy or something (I had done a CMOS reset just before the last installation, but I'd reconfigured all the settings back to exactly how they were).

Can I guess that you have a 2-4GB discreet gaming GPU? The more memory the discreet card has the more will be reserved for hardware. Be it for memory mapping, or whatever.

That it reserved less with the iGPU before installing the discreet card and reformatting is just the way it's supposed to work as. The more devices, ie: older sys vs this one you have now, is coherent with more reserved.

Too, drivers/inf's most likely play a role at the OS level.

BTW, 1,000MB of that is reserved, I have chosen in the BIOS,for the memory/display while using the on-die iGPU of the 3770K.

ie: akin to what formatting a drive does in respect to physically addressable/useable space, the "system' does with memory.

3TB resolves to ~2.73TB after formatting.

Really, it's no biggie.

Can I guess that you have a 2-4GB discreet gaming GPU? The more memory the discreet card has the more will be reserved for hardware. Be it for memory mapping, or whatever.
    Yes, the GPU is a 3GB GTX 780 Ti, but I've had 3GB cards for years now, and this is the first system to reserve excessive amounts of memory. I can't remember precisely how much 'hardware reserved' memory there was in those systems, but it was low enough not to ever be reported on the system information page. These systems were:

- The same GTX 780 Ti on an Asus z87 Gryphon with 8GB RAM.
    - Two GTX 780 (3GB each) on a Z68X-UD3 with 8 or 16GB RAM.
    - GTX 580 (3GB) on a P67-UD7 with 8GB RAM.

None reserved 119MB of RAM.

That it reserved less with the iGPU before installing the discreet card and reformatting is just the way it's supposed to work as. The more devices, ie: older sys vs this one you have now, is coherent with more reserved.
    No, you've misinterpreted my post. It didn't reserve less with the IGP. When I had the IGP enabled it reserved the same or more, only I wasn't concerned then because it made sense for RAM to be reserved for use by the IGP. What didn't make sense was when I disabled the IGP, and the RAM was still reserved. Then I reinstalled windows (IGP still disabled), and it wasn't reserving the RAM. But then I reformatted yesterday (IGP still disabled) and it's back to reserving excessive RAM.

Too, drivers/inf's most likely play a role at the OS level.
    And I should note taht I used identical drivers for each installation of windows.
    Last edited by oubadah; 07-20-2014 at 10:48 AM.

There is an old bug I remember where limiting the number of CPU's using 'msconfig' > 'boot tab' > 'advanced options' > 'number of processors' would allocate a large portion of hardware reserved memory, have you done anything with these settings as they're unnecessary and people with little knowledge of what they're doing thought it sped up boot times etc. or it could simply be defined without your knowledge if a tweaking application has been run.

Probably not the case in this instance as it would chew much more but worth checking if any of the above sounds familiar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information