Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PSU works on amd board but not intel?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5

    Default PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    Long story short, my OCZ ZS750W psu works just peachy with my AM3+ ta990fxe, but will not run with an lga1150 ga-z87x-ud3h or ga-z97-d3h

    If i plug in the 24pin power to all 3 mobos, the amd one will stay one, where as both intel ones reboot after 2 seconds of being on

    The psu is haswell ready apparently sooo wtf?


  2. #2
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    Welcome to the forum.

    How old is your OCZ power supply.

    With both Gigabyte boards, have you tried booting with a minimal hardware setup?

    Did you try clearing your cmos with the minimal hardware setup?

    Have you checked ALL wire and cable connections to ensure that everything is properly connected?

    Which cpu psu cable is connected to the motherboard? ATX_12v 4-pin connector? EPS12v 8-pin connector?

    Have you tried booting each of the Gigabyte boards with a different power supply?

    We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

    We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs
    portion of your forum profile at the bottom of the profile page or in your forum signature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    When you are done editing or creating your hardware list, save the settings.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    How old is your OCZ power supply.

    With both Gigabyte boards, have you tried booting with a minimal hardware setup?

    Did you try clearing your cmos with the minimal hardware setup?

    Have you checked ALL wire and cable connections to ensure that everything is properly connected?

    Which cpu psu cable is connected to the motherboard? ATX_12v 4-pin connector? connector?

    Have you tried booting each of the Gigabyte boards with a different power supply?

    We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

    We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs
    portion of your forum profile at the bottom of the profile page or in your forum signature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    When you are done editing or creating your hardware list, save the settings.
    With my original build that worked fine i had the following
    NZXT Phantom full tower case
    OCZ ZS750W 750w psu
    Biostar TA990FXE
    G.Skill DDR3 1600mhz 8GB ram (2x4) (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
    EVGA GTX 660
    Phenom ii x4 965BE @3.8ghz with a hyper 212 evo cooler
    A WD Caviar blue 1TB harddrive and a 120GB samsung 840 ssd

    What I upgraded was the cpu and motherboard.
    I5 4690K
    Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H (on bios F9 for 4690K support)
    Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H

    The PSU is just over 2 years old, there support page says it is haswell ready.

    I did boot with minimum hardware on both boards and clearing cmos on both with no luck. I checked each board multiple times aswell, making sure every cable was plugged in. On all 3 motherboards there are 2x4pin (EPS12v 8-pin ?) power connectors near the cpu socket, i plugged those in as well.

    As for trying another PSU I don't have another to test. I did do the paperclip test which is stayed on just fine.

    Nothing you mentioned has helped. I tried contacting Firepower since they bought OCZs PSU assest and a few hours after I put a support ticket in all of there webpages gave me a 404 error even though I had 3 friends successfully access the webpages and I could using my phones mobile data. I tried multiple devices and cleared cache/cookies but that didn't help.. So thats weird....
    Last edited by snickerzz; 08-28-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: found the exact ram model#

  4. #4
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    The power supply power on paperclip test only tells you that the psu can power on, it does not tell you if your power supply can supply clean and stable power.

    It sounds like you might have a memory compatibility problem with both Gigabyte motherboards.

    1. Have you checked the Gigabyte memory QVL list for each motherboard to see if your G.Skill 1600mhz 8GB ram (2x4) F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL memory kit has been tested with each of your motherboards.

    2. Does the G.Skill online memory configurator show that your specific memory kit has been tested with both of your motherboards?

    If the answer is yes to either of these questions, you probably do not have a memory compatibility problem.

    If your memory kit is not listed on either of the lists, you probably have a compatibility problem.


    As I recall, several years ago there were quite a few problems with many OCZ power supplies used with some/many Gigabyte motherboards.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  5. #5
    boondocks's Avatar
    boondocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Live Oak, Florida
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    IF that RAM is functioning correctly it should be fine with either board. Gigabyte doesn't test a whole bunch of modules, but the RAM makers do which is where to search.
    I went ahead and searched for you, and G Skill says the RAM is fine for either board.

    Problem could still be the RAM or PSU, as profJim says, and I would lean toward the PSU. It would be helpful to borrow a psu or go to a shop that might hook your board up for you and test with another psu.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

    Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

    SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    IF that RAM is functioning correctly it should be fine with either board. Gigabyte doesn't test a whole bunch of modules, but the RAM makers do which is where to search.
    I went ahead and searched for you, and G Skill says the RAM is fine for either board.

    Problem could still be the RAM or PSU, as profJim says, and I would lean toward the PSU. It would be helpful to borrow a psu or go to a shop that might hook your board up for you and test with another psu.
    I did check and my model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL wasnt listed but F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL was. The only difference between the two is mine is a 2x4gb kit and the one thats listed is a 2x2gb kit.

    Also I did try booting without the ram all together and still no post, beebs, codes. If everything else was working as it should, shouldn't i still get some sort of error?

    As flr getting another psu, im in a rather small town. The only "tech shop" here is best/walmart xD anf my only techie friend only has a laptop >.<

  7. #7
    boondocks's Avatar
    boondocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Live Oak, Florida
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by snickerzz View Post
    I did check and my model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL wasnt listed but F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL was. The only difference between the two is mine is a 2x4gb kit and the one thats listed is a 2x2gb kit.

    Also I did try booting without the ram all together and still no post, beebs, codes. If everything else was working as it should, shouldn't i still get some sort of error?

    As flr getting another psu, im in a rather small town. The only "tech shop" here is best/walmart xD anf my only techie friend only has a laptop >.<
    RipjawsX - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL is listed on the G Skill site as being compatible....like I said, the RAM vendor is usually the best place to search as GiB doesn't test that many modules. It's in the RAM makers best interest to test the popular boards so they can sell their product.

    Booting without RAM isn't going to happen but I think you would expect constant beeps if you have a speaker hooked up...not sure as it's been a while since I tried it.

    Same here, I live in a very small town, however there always seems to be someone around that works on pc's....if no luck you might have to travel to a bigger town. So I don't know what to tell you, troubleshooting is what it is, you might try contacting GiB support and see what they say.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

    Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

    SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    RipjawsX - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL is listed on the G Skill site as being compatible....like I said, the RAM vendor is usually the best place to search as GiB doesn't test that many modules. It's in the RAM makers best interest to test the popular boards so they can sell their product.

    Booting without RAM isn't going to happen but I think you would expect constant beeps if you have a speaker hooked up...not sure as it's been a while since I tried it.

    Same here, I live in a very small town, however there always seems to be someone around that works on pc's....if no luck you might have to travel to a bigger town. So I don't know what to tell you, troubleshooting is what it is, you might try contacting GiB support and see what they say.
    i got a replacement 4690K and the issue is still present, i ordered a Corsair CX600M and should be here tomorrow. Ill update with results then

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: PSU works on amd board but not intel?

    So I finally got it running, it wasn't a psu you mobo problem but a mix of ram and cpu prob

    So when I first tried fixing this, I had tried the ram in slot 1 and 2 like the guide said. When i tried testing the ram i only used one stick and i didnt try alternating slots.
    Once I put the ram in slots 1 and 3 it worked as it should finally xD
    So then now that i knew everything was ok i figured i would try the other cpu since it could be the silicon lottery winner and it failed to post, put in the other cpu and it booted.. So a combination of a bad cpu and bad ram placement caused all this >.<

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •