Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: z97x-gaming CPU_FAN stays off from resume

Default z97x-gaming CPU_FAN stays off from resume

Resume from sleep and the CPU_FAN stays off requiring a reboot when System Information Viewer (SIV) is installed and fan profiles set to silent.

Anyone seen this problem?

Also, setting in BIOS for fan speed has no effect with or without SIV installed.

Gigabyte software totally sucks?

Default Re: z97x-gaming CPU_FAN stays off from resume

using latest bios and software? what gaming board you have?

could try latest beta bios see if that fixes things
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwrUSR1900 View Post
    Resume from sleep and the CPU_FAN stays off requiring a reboot when System Information Viewer (SIV) is installed and fan profiles set to silent.

Anyone seen this problem?

Also, setting in BIOS for fan speed has no effect with or without SIV installed.

Gigabyte software totally sucks?
    What CPU cooler and fan are you using? Are you using the CPU fan PWM four pin fan header?

With the fan speed profile set to Silent, the CPU cooler fan may not get enough voltage to start. Fans normally need more voltage to start spinning than they do to stay spinning once they have started. The Silent setting may provide such a low voltage that your fan won't start when waking from Sleep. The BIOS may provide that extra voltage when the PC starts, but is apparently not doing that when the PC wakes from Sleep.

The need for a fan to have more voltage to start spinning is well known, or should be to mother board manufactures. When your PC wakes and the fan does not spin, your CPU temperature should quickly increase, which normally should cause the fan control software to increase the fan speed to cool the CPU. That means an increase in voltage to the CPU cooler fan, which then should start. Unless the Silent setting does not increase the voltage sent to the fan until the CPU is very hot.

OTOH, I have seen complaints about SIV in other forums, that it does not work right or at all. That seems to fit your problem.

No fan speed control from the Gigabyte BIOS settings? Unless you have the CPU cooler fan on the wrong fan header, that is inexcusable.

OMG, try the Beta BIOS? Sorry Gigabyte, but a Beta BIOS/UEFI is for new or experimental features, not for releasing fixes for basic functions that should be a given.

Unhappy Re: z97x-gaming CPU_FAN stays off from resume

It's the gaming 3 motherboard, F5 BIOS. I don't really want to try a beta BIOS unless it specifically has a fix for fan.

It's actually CPU_OPT that is failing, and it's a 4-pin fan on there, a coolermaster jetflo 120 (which I really recommend!)

I actually called Gigabyte support here in the US and they were going try to reproduce the problem, but I called back thinking it was resolved after resetting BIOS to optimal defaults, the problem goes away... for a short while. It then comes back.

It's funny but it seems like coming back from resume, the BIOS will give a full 12 volts to all fans spinning them up, moments later, the SIV kicks in a lowers them all to silent. In the case CPU_OPT doesn't work, it appears to try spin up but gives up very fast, and it never actually comes on.

I don't think it's the fan, as I've switched them around, and gotten the same thing from CPU_OPT every time. Luckily after running for a while and the CPU reaching 90c, which I only noticed because of MSI AfterBurner, I was able to discover this problem. Now I rely on SIV as I've set alarms, as the BIOS alarms don't work!

Few days ago I updated to latest SIV and other Gigabyte apps. EasyTune now installs on Windows 8! However, the problem still exists!

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

First,
    disable SIV (or any GB utility) from startup in Windows..Task Scheduler..(when boot).....or by CCleaner.
    Second,
    set in BIOS which mode of fan you want...save and exit.

Normal.... Allows the fan to run at different speeds according to the CPU temperature. You can
    adjust the fan speed with EasyTune (or by SIV) based on your system requirements. (Default)
    Silent..... Allows the fan to run at slow speeds.
    Manual..... Allows you to control the fan speed under the Fan Speed Percentage item (or by SIV).
    Full Speed.... Allows the fan to run at full speeds.

Fan Speed Percentage....
    Allows you to control the fan speed. This item is configurable only when System Fan Speed Control
    is set to Manual. Options are: 0.75 PWM value /oC ~ 2.50 PWM value /oC.
    Last edited by stasio; 09-23-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

parsec is offline Senior Member

I don't understand your CPU cooler configuration. Your board has two CPU fan headers, the standard CPU_FAN header (white) and the CPU_OPT header (black), both four pin. Your CM JetFlo is on the CPU_OPT header.

In the past the CPU_OPT fan header on most boards always runs at full speed, the PWM speed control pin is labeled +5V in the manual. Is that JetFlo running at full speed all the time?

The CPU_OPT header may have a problem on a resume from Sleep, but why don't you use the main CPU_FAN header? Is another fan on the CPU_FAN header? The OPT header is secondary normally to the CPU_FAN header. If the CPU_OPT header is speed controlled, then it usually works with the CPU_FAN header, they are a pair that works together, the CPU_FAN header being the primary or master header. If no fan is on the CPU_FAN header, CPU_OPT may behave strangely. But given the moving target that fan headers seem to be lately, I can't be sure unless I have the board to play with.

Given what I've read recently, Gigabyte's fan speed control in the BIOS and software is pretty bad, some people said it does not work at all. That seems to be almost impossible IMO, but who knows?

CPU_FAN has a water cooler pump, CPU_OPT has the exhaust fan attached to the radiator.

I can switch them but last time I checked that resulted in the same problem.

Something interesting:

At full speed -
    CPU_OPT 2213 RPM (JetFlo)
    CPU_FAN 1395 RPM (water pump)

At quiet speed -
    CPU_OPT 1023 RPM (JetFlo)
    CPU_FAN 1392 RPM (water pump)

Standard -
    CPU_OPT 1047RPM (JetFlo)
    CPU_FAN 1375 RPM (water pump)

The pump is a 3-pin connector, the JetFlo are 4-PIN PWM.

So to me it looks like the board is just running the CPU_FAN at max speed all the time.

And, BIOS settings don't matter. I've even uninstalled SIV with no discernable change that I could detect.

Based on what you said, CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT working from that, I'm going to move the 4-pin to CPU_FAN and hope it works better. I'm assuming it will since the 4-pin fan offers full control.

I think the manual kinda tries to say a water pump should be on CPU_OPT but it says water cooler fan, which is kind of confusing.

Reading around on other forums, the concensus seems to be a water pump should be on CPU_OPT, and the fan or fans for the radiator should be on CPU_FAN.

Hopefully this works better!!!
    Last edited by pwrUSR1900; 09-24-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

From my experience with other motherboards (Asus, MSi, Intel) Gigabytes fan control profiles from Windows are not the best. However, understanding your own system and temp requirements then helps to manually configure as perfect as possible (most likely from the bios). Asus has one of the better software implementations.

As mentioned by others, on two different boards I used the white CPu connector to control the fun, and the the optional 4 pin connector for the pump. The other board configuration is a push pull combo fan system(noctua). The push fan is on white connector and the pull on the optional connector.

I'm yet to see the problem you mentioned on a current z97x system I'm testing. Will keep an eye out for it.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Configured water pump on CPU_OPT and radiator fan on CPU_FAN. It seems to be working better. I'm noticing correct RPM functions from the radiator fan in line with the rest of the other JetFlo case fans, which to me is good.

Interestingly, the water pump on CPU_OPT doesn't actually even come on until the CPU is at least up to 40C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information