Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: bios versions out of sync

Default bios versions out of sync

I am fitting a faster processor to my Gigabyte 970A-DS3 rev1 (Athlon 235e to FX4300). I used Q-Flash to update to F6, the bios reset itself to defaults and on next bootup, I set the parameters of my choice. The new FX did not work so I refitted the Athlon which did, and I ran "msinfo32" which showed F6. However, F9 in the main bios screen shows "Main : F6 / Backup : F1 ". How do I get both to F6?

Default Re: bios versions out of sync

Iv'e cracked it! Googing Gigabyte dual bios problems came up with "ALT+F12" during post to bring up a menu to sync the bios pair. This did not work so I Googled some more and found that a PS2 keyboard was more likely to work. I dumped my last one years ago. Looking through my pc junk box, I found a PS2-USB mouse adaptor but not a keyboard one. Tried it anyway and it worked. Both bios's were synced to F6. I put the FX 4300 back in and it was dead as before. Having nothing to lose, I shorted out the clear CMOS jumpers and when I switched on it worked!

parsec is offline Senior Member

A backup BIOS, when a board has two CMOS/BIOS chips, is normally meant as a safety feature to protect the board from a bad, new BIOS version. So the backup BIOS version is normally a version that is known to be good and stable. Which means it is not the same as the latest version.

But this feature can also be used to have a backup of a favorite BIOS version, which seems to be your choice.

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

If you check http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html first post:
    Backup BIOS reflash:
    ALT+F12 - AWARD BIOS
    ALT+F10 - UEFI BIOS
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W