Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 will not boot from DVD or USB

Default GA-EX58-UD5 will not boot from DVD or USB

Hi all. I'm updating my PC with a new processor and some SSD hard drive. However, it seems I've run into a wall here.

Prior to starting I updated my main board BIOS to version F13 to support my new hexa core XEON. Everything went nice and after having the new CPU put in, it booted succesfully back to Windows. Next step was going to be a clean install of Windows 8 to my new SSD HDD. However, during the BIOS update, it seems my PC has lost it's capability to boot from CD or DVD.

With BIOS F13, no matter what I did, I could not get the prompt to hit any key to boot from CD to appear. Googling around, I found this: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...t-boot-up.html and full of hope set to flash my BIOS with F12. I was happy to see the prompt appear this time but it simply would not register any key strikes and always boots to Windows. I tried also BIOS F11 and F10 and both have the same issue, the prompt is shown but keystrokes do nothing. I cannot back down any further for fear of losing hexa core CPU support and making this a very tricky situation.

Next I tried creating a bootable USB stick from Windows installation disk. No matter which of the four USB choices I pick in boot selector menu (F12 key on power on), it always boots into Windows and never from the USB stick.

My keyboard works to get into BIOS setup and also works there under all tried BIOS versions. My DVD drive shows under BIOS and works fine in Windows. It all worked fine before first upgrading BIOS and I was able to boot DVD's into Win setup.

I'm stuck and cannot do the Windows installation. Any help much appreciated.

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 will not boot from DVD or USB

Just FYI, I solved this eventually. BIOS optimized settings disable USB keyboard and mouse support and though they still work everywhere else, that single prompt is where they do not.

Now the only remaining question is why BIOS version F13 will not give that prompt at all?

So everything is OK now? Sorry I'm late to the game... After a Bios Flash, I always cycle the clear CMOS button, the boot to the bios, "Load optimized defaults" reboot, then back in the bios to start applying my settings.

do it in that order with any board and it usually goes well.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Yes, everything is OK. It seems just that the final bios F13 for this main board is not fully functional. F12 works fine.

Ya, I've had to do that with a few gigabyte bioses... frustrating really... you wouldn't think fixes for one or two things would break others...

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Thread Information