Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Prequel is offline Member

Default Re: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Okay, I updated my driver and I keep getting the same error, frequently.

CPU temp is about 55c in this game.
    CPU frequency is 3.2GHz which is the same as previous stable settings we went through here and before I bought RAMs.

Difference is, in one I had no 8GB RAMs, in the other RAM frequency was 800MHz, not 965MHz.

So it is definite that it is caused by RAMs.

I'm not willing to change my RAMs or my cooler, I may change the fan of my CPU cooler with a newer one if that proves helpful but I'll still want to stay at 1000RPM.

I may want to replace my GPU with a 760 if I can find a way.

Can we get back to finding stable settings for RAMs?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Performance Enhance = Standard (instead of Turbo) might help with stability.

tRFC = 60 or 64 might be required with memory speeds in the mid to upper 900MHz range.

Another change that might help is setting tRD (Static tRead Value) for both memory channels to 10.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I haven't made those changes yet but some weird stuff is going on with my computer.

After I dropped RAM frequency to 804MHz I still got textures going missing and game stucking and sometimes crashing and driver errors.

Then I saw Firefox window was missing its right top corner, I could see a small fraction of AIDA's widget. I clicked-and-moved the window, I could see for a second Aero was gone then turned normal in the blink of an eye.

And a few minutes ago on the desktop my screen flickered and just when that happened there was a small wide green block on the part of the screen IIRC.

I am seriously questioning my GPU now but I don't see how it could be cause of a problem.

Drivers can't 99% be cause of that. IIRC my GPU never passed 84c in its lifetime and fans are working. There's no OC beyond factory OC. And I have never had problems like this with my GPU up until now.

Now what I think is 804 and 965 MHz was really stable before. But what happened now is beyond me. I think RAMs could've also possibly got broken or something during this small frame of time and causing the previosly-fine settings to not work but I'm not sure which.

Other than trying by removing Kingstons and trying another GPU do you have any suggestions?

If I try Memtest86+ (which is a pre-boot application, as you know) would it use any GPU?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Far as I remember 124 is memory related error, so maybe a notch up of MCH Core and/or DRAM Voltage.

I confirmed that there is no problem with GPU/driver.

I raised DRAM Voltage to 2.1, still having problems.

Any further suggestions?

I'm not sure about upping MCH any further. Should I try 2.2v DRAM?

Note that this is with 965MHz RAM frequency and 3.2GHz CPU frequency. It "felt" that the PC is more stable after 2.1 but I can't prove it.

I'm not sure about the MCH either.
    Without knowing your current settings or memory specs any suggestion would be bad as any other.

402*8 = 3216
    402* 2.40B = 965
    RAM timings: 5-5-5-18

Just saw %70 RAM usage when Far Cry 4 dropped from 3GB to 1GB. I took a screen shot but somehow it didn't record. I confirmed this both with AIDA and Task Manager. It didn't feel like only a delay in update but something else, don't know what.

I don't know what's going on. I received 2-3 times RAM low warning message when playing Far Cry 4 when there was 2GB physical RAMs free. Due to ran out virtual RAM I suppose. Virtual RAM was running out (16GB all in use), but I don't see why my physical RAM usage doesn't exceed 6GBs to go up to 7-7.5GB range. Btw I was having bottlenecking due to RAM before, before I closed Firefox during game (which uses only about 500MB RAM). GPU usage kept dropping and causing FPS to drop.

Why aren't all of my RAM being used? I had questions about this topic before but after some point I was able to play this game when Firefox was open with no RAM bottlenecking and I had about the same settings as now.

I don't remember seeing Far Cry 4 use more than 3GB of physical RAMs before but is using 16GB of virtual RAMs a normal thing? My current-- idle, virtual RAM usage is 3.5GB. Even if that was to be 6GB, that still means there's 10GB usage by game. I'm not sure if this behaviour is solely about this particular game or not, but I didn't have bottlenecking issues due to this before. At least not after I increased RAM frequency to 965MHz.
    Last edited by Prequel; 01-16-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Yes, no problem with the MCH Core, try 1.22 and 1.24. Ive seen some that needed 1.26+.

You may try 1.24-1.26 VTT.

You may also try and tweak the MCH Reference. This is a long thing to explain, to make it short: the reference is a percent of VTT(CPU Termination) and since it shows as values and not percent in the BIOS, always change(in BIOS) VTT to 1.2 before changing the references(CPU reference as well), then change VTT to the desired value.

Try 0.74 , 0.72, and 0.70 @ 1.2v VTT for the MCH first (and set VTT back to 1.22 after you change it).
    All that was for BIOS, in EasyTune it is always the value relative to VTT so no need to change VTT if you make changes in EasyTune(and press "set" to apply).
    In all you need to test 0.7 to 0.82 for both CPU and MCH refernces which is 49 combinations, minus the defalt 0.76 for both you have already tested :/

Personally, I would try the references first. My GB-P45-UDLR s doing fine with 1.18v MCH Core and MCH reference 0.72v (only 4GB though)

Finally there are the clock skews, another long story, will get to that when if and if needed.

You giving me hard time with your memory specs since I still don't know what models are they. and I sure not going to google them by name only.
    What is the max voltage for each set?

2.3v for OCZs, 2.2v for Kingstons.

Kingstons: KHX8500D2K2/4G
    OCZs: OCZ XTC Platinum OCZ2P10662G

Btw after I wrote post above, I re-entered to Far Cry 4 and this time I could play with no bottleneck while browser was on and physical RAM usage was ~2GB for game and about 6-7GB total virtual RAM usage. Maybe the previous usage I mentioned was due to some time in the game. Tough I completed the game in this last session, I don't know how much time difference was there.

I don't get crash or textures going missing on Far Cry 4 but on Trackmania 2 I always get either of them after 30 mins or so. That actually just happened and I directly went to Task Manager and the game's RAM usage was down to 200MB. It normally is about 800MB-1GB. So I'm assuming losing the RAM usage was the reason texture errors/hang/crash happened. But what can cause such a thing? I always tend to think my RAMs are broken, can you convince me this behaviour can happen due to poor voltage settings, etc.? And how come it doesn't happen on the more demanding game?

I had all auto with 3.2GHz CPU when I had 4GB RAMs before but I guess with more RAMs this changes. I'm not sure if RAMs or CPU is the issue here. I did try 2.3v DRAM voltage before I started this thread, that couldn't get me stability on desktop. But I always tend to think the worst and think my RAMs are faulty. When something like this happens it makes you feel like there's something fatally wrong with your computer after using it more or less flaslessly for 5+ years (and I tell you, it was NOT flawless).

You're the boss. I'll try whatever you want me to. Do you think MCH Core alone would be enough? If so I can set VTT and reference to auto. While I appreciate the choice, I'd rather your definitive suggestion, whatever that may be. :) I just prefer to get to a stable and usable setting as quickly as posible as it is affecting my usage and now that my hardest week is over and it is holiday for me, I'd like to complete some games. :)

Huge off-topic: And all the good games (Alien, Evil Within, Dragon Age) somehow managed to not work for me at the same time (which is completely software related), such a tease. If DA really requires a Win 8.1 (not 8) I'll kill myself. :p
    Last edited by Prequel; 01-17-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information