Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Try MCH 1.24v then.
    When you overclocked before what SMM did you use, 2.66D?

Prequel is offline Member

Maybe. One of the 2.66's. I don't really remember. :(

Another thing to try, after you try MCH Core 1.24 is using SMM 2.00D or 2.66D, you might have better luck with them

No problem with TM2 so far in about 1+ hour. But there's a problem IMO. No fps issues but the game's physical RAM usage is only 300MB...

Quote Originally Posted by Prequel View Post
    No problem with TM2 so far in about 1+ hour. But there's a problem IMO. No fps issues but the game's physical RAM usage is only 300MB...
    What have you changed, MCH Core?
    As for myself I am very happy when programs run the best they can taking less memory as possible.
    Is it always on 300MB or is it growing then drops down?

Yes. Only MCH Core.
    It went up around 380MB~. And probably down from time to time.

Let me be clear: Do you think there is no chance for a game to use virtual RAM instead of physical RAM to prevent some sort of issue?

A while ago before I bought new RAMs, I was playing Watch Dogs and it was <30 fps, I changed my virtual RAM to my SSD and the game performed better.
    I still have my virtual RAM on my SSD. Now I always think that some game could use more virtual RAM than it should to prevent some sort of issue and perform poorly.

Tough the fact that I was able to play Far Cry 4 fluidly when my browser was on indicates that this may not be the issue here but it still strikes me as weird.
    My way of thinking is that there is an optimal amount of physical RAM a game needs and lower use than that will cause poorer performance. Is this very wrong?
    (I'm not talking about System Requirements here)

Oh well I guess it should be fine as long as I can play all the games I want to play at the expected fps from this system. At the end, the point is the result we get.
    Except if I'm not killing my SSD with virtual RAM. Always read the warnings but never took them too seriously as they were always too fussy and lacked proper evidence.
    Last edited by Prequel; 01-18-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Why should it use virtual memory while there is still plenty of physical memory?
    Virtual memory on the SSD is better than being on disk but cannot compare to RAM, even if the game itself is on a hard drive the system always cache files as much as it can so there is not much point to keep data in the process memory.
    Are you sure this game normally use more memory?
    And realy why worry when everything works well, leave it to the time it doesn't.

Just uninstalled Crysis 3, such a terrible game. I had beared the first three but this one is just plain bad. Probably not much different than previous ones, just my intolerance to bad stuff increased.

Anyway I had 750MB physical RAM and 1.2GB virtual RAM usage with it.

Still not weird?
    OK.

I know SSDs perform better but I meant write-read load causing its life to shorten. (TLDR: If it is not drastic I'm fine with it.)

I played it at 1080p High with 1x something AA with 3 settings at Very High. Had 30+ fps all the time, only before I quit there was this big open NY sequence that was seen in trailers. My fps was unplayable there but it was probably due to I had alt+tabbed, because GPU usage was 70-80%.

I'm fine with it as long as I can play anything I want but I'd be happier to see 7GB physical RAM usage from time to time.

While I write this I thought of running LinX. I ran it 5 mins at 5GB, no problems. Then chose "all", still no problems. But I had slow response when there was 500MB free physical RAM.

LinX also used 6GB virtual RAM. Is this OK? I guess I don't know how RAMs work. I guess all activities with physical RAMs use virtual RAM. There is no not using virtual RAM unless you disable it I guess. I guess it first stores to virtual RAM then it transfers to physical RAM when there's need. If that values above feel normal then OK.

Btw, I have set min 3GB max 8GB virtual RAM. But AIDA shows 11GB total virtual RAM. How is this possible?

Edit:

Forgot to mention, as you might've guessed, no issues with Crysis 3 either. I guess it is safe to say my PC is stable right now.

What now? Should we try 1066? Do you recommend trying lower voltages to lower CPU temp? Obviously not MCH Core, but do you think we should try lowering others, such as references? I guess that would be adventuring but if you say we have a real chance I can try it.

I bought a Zalman case fan to swap with the fan of my CPU cooler but I couldn't find a way to remove the square protection stuff. Should I cut it?

I also bought thermal paste, I want to use it on both GPU and CPU. My CPU temp is fine in games but I hope to lower max temp I get with my GPU which is now 85c.
    Last edited by Prequel; 01-19-2015 at 01:17 AM.

1066 5-5-5-18 with 2.66D or 800 4-4-4-15 I think, what is Static tRead Value set to now?

Yeas it's quite possible that you can lower vcore, but only change one settings at a time.

And also there is no need to run too much LinX at all, Prime95 is more likely to find instability with lower temps, though it may take longer to run
    Last edited by Chike; 01-19-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Static tRead Value is 9.

I haven't made any further changes yet. Just running Ryse: Son of Rome. GPU usage is 98%. VRAM usage is 1GB, RAM usage is 1.6GB, virtual RAM usage is 1.8GB. The game doesn't run at 30fps stable even at Low. Tough it doesn't look much different at Low than it looks on High. And it seems playable. I don't know if this game isn't optimised properly or not.

How long do you generally suggest to run Prime 95, and which mode?

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information