Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Try memory settings as follows, if stable we'll try to work them up
    Code:
    Performance Enhance ------------ : [Standard] 
    Extreme Memory Profile - (XMP) - : [Disabled] 
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch --------- : [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ------- : [2.00D]
    DRAM Timing Selectable --------- : [Manual] 
    Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time --------------- : [5]
    tRCD  -------------------------- : [5]
    tRP ---------------------------- : [5]
    tRAS  -------------------------- : [15]
    Channel A Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings}
    Static tRead Value ------------- : [9]
    Channel B Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings}
    Static tRead Value ------------- : [9]
    All other memory timings auto

Prequel is offline Member

Just played Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare for an hour or so. I've seen 2.5-3.5GB physical RAM usage by the game. No problems. No issues on TM2 yet either. But I'm still doubting the stability since previous settings also looked stable at first. I'll keep my PC on and see what will happen after longer uptime. I may do a Prime 95 test when I sleep as well.

I haven't changed any voltage settings DRAM, MCH Core etc. or any other settings as you haven't said anything BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Prequel View Post
    I haven't changed any voltage settings DRAM, MCH Core etc. or any other settings as you haven't said anything BTW.
    Of course, we want to see what to see how the memory settings will effect instability.
    The memory multipliers sometimes make a change, not all are good for every bus frequency, depends on the board and BIOS. Could be that your board does not like the B multiplier at 400MHz.
    Driving strength profiles may effect stability as well, e.g my board/BIOS does not like the 1066 profile, but on auto it's stable at both DDR-800 and DDR-1066.
    There is still lots to explore.

This is Prime blend.

After I stopped this I launched Trackmania 2 and played some, there was no issues at first, then I went AFK for about 3 mins and when I was back the screen was frozen, it was showing the game but there was no action. Then I pressed Enter to start a new round and the game wouldn't respond (note that sometimes the game can act like this but it generally responds after tapping Enter, even if it delays), I waited, nothing happened. Then I pressed Esc, still nothing. I couldn't Alt+Tab either. Then I Ctrl+Alt+Del'd and made Taskbar visible. I tried to get Task Manager open, it took me a while. I managed to stop the game after 5 mins. But then the PC still didn't respond. Well it did but it responded after about 5 seconds even to a right click. I waited for some time to see if it will recover. Nothing. I had to restart my computer.

Now I still question this game. There is a file cache system in this game that stores online files, skins, custom stuff, avatars, music etc. Sometimes it fills and the game asks if I want to extend the file cache or trim files. I do either of them and continue. Now in the previous installement of this game I have never had any problems caused by this cache system and never heard anyone having this problem in this game but the fact that this game makes my PC show instability when Prime and other much heavier games can't is very interesting. Now I don't say it's impossible but strikes me as weird. This incident I explained looks like it goes beyond this game but I don't know if it can cause problems for the rest of the PC even after process ended. Also the fact that the game previously failed even in the menu makes me think it "must" have no relation to cache system because there is nothing about caching in the main menu. And it did cause me one or two BSODs before as you know, which is the line where hardware error becomes undeniable.

I wish there was a way to detect instability for sure in no time. I'd bear the hot temps...
    Last edited by Prequel; 01-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.

I don't like your temps at all, what is the ambient temperature?
    Trye to add following lines to local.txt in prime95 firectory:
    CpuSupportsSSE=0
    CpuSupportsSSE2=0
    See if that will lower temps down, we want to stress not to fry your CPU. Running prime with over 80c is not likely to damage the CPU but definitely dont make it any good.
    Or find another stress that creates less heat.

Is 990 RPM max cpu fan speed? And why are tempts so high when you took the picture wasn't the PC at idle?

My desktop sometimes become unresponsive after program crash, I think it's the webcam driver, but logging off and bac on fix it.

Maybe it is the game, and/or maybe file system is a bit corrupted, schedule a disk check.
    You can always remove and re-install the game too.

Around 25c.

OK and OK.

Yes it is max. Normally runs at 1600 RPM but gets annoyingly noisy so I use a voltage resistor to lower RPM to 1000. I've posted a picture of my cooler one of the previous pages. It should get better when I change its 6 year old fan to a brand new 1200 RPM one (and re-apply thermal paste). If only I can find a way to replace the fan...

I have Windows defrag at auto, weekly, I just checked, there's no fragmentation (0%). And just done an error checking, no errors found.

Yes I'll probably re-install the game.

I just reinstalled the game. After 10 mins the game froze again.

BTW I learned that AIDA's virtual RAM measure is wrong, even tough dev says it shows what Windows reports, I am seeing huge differences. I removed it from my sidebar and I am now only checking virtual RAM use by Resource Monitor.

I also lowered my pagefile to 1GB initial size, 4GB maximum size. Which should be more than enough for 8GB physical RAMs based on many experts' comments.

Reason I did this is to see if I will receive any "low memory" errors. I assume you would agree that on normal circumstances I shouldn't get any warnings with this, right? Let's if I will or not. Oh and if you think I should lower it even more, please say.

EDIT: And now my GPU usage dropped. I can't play COD:AW without horrible fps drops. GPU usage constantly drops to 30% for no reason. Physical RAM usage is still 3GB but there's something wrong here...
    Last edited by Prequel; 01-21-2015 at 01:01 AM.

I think you worry too much about the memory usage that should not concern you at all unless you run low or there are too many swaps to page file.
    Not sure how windows handle the page file, but at least the size of physical memory so 8GB min for normal operation.

My theory is something is causing me to use virtual RAM more than usual and virtual RAM is causing bottleneck.

I ran COD:AW again, after the messy gunfight my fps turned to normal. Maybe that means bottleneck was due to CPU. Or better yet due to 800MHz RAMs.

But I had 9.5GB pagefile according to MSI Afterburner. How is that possible? Total RAM usage was 6.2GB. VRAM full. GPU and CPU usage sometimes varies, sometimes full.

COD:AW uses 3GB RAM and 3.5GB virtual RAM, isn't this a bit too much?

But I forgot I was running 800MHz RAMs. 800MHz also caused a lot of problems on Far Cry 4 before.

What settings should I go for now?

I'll let you in on a little secret, all memory in windows is virtual. Only the kernel can access physical memory directly
    Every single process address space starts at 0 and ends at 2<SUP>32</SUP>-1 or 2<SUP>64</SUP>-1 depends if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit process respectively. Meaning, every process "thinks" it has all the memory to itself.
    So how can more than one process use the same memory address? It's virtual address, actual physical address is different.
    Virtual addresses are mapped to physical addresses, that's the whole story of "virtual memory".

All you need to care about is physical memory used, and until it wasn't all used (sparing some for the system) there would be no writes to the page file.
    Sort the Disk Activity by writes or total and see if you even see the page file there.

According to documentaion (MEM_COMMIT) https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    Allocates memory charges (from the overall size of memory and the paging files on disk) for the specified reserved memory pages
    Actual physical pages are not allocated unless/until the virtual addresses are actually accessed.
    Some more about Virtual memory and user/kernel modes:
    Windows Programming/User Mode vs Kernel Mode - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Worry less about "virtual memory" it is just a technical term, all you should care about is "do I have enough memory?"

First set paging file size to auto.
    Maybe it is time to explore references? Post full settings.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information