Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

Prequel is offline Member

Default Re: Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R

I ran Prime 95 for about 4.5 hours, returned with no error.

So now are you saying my "RAMs" are stable right now at this state? I won't get a BSOD if I play a game or at some unexpected moment or after some time? I mean I am satisfied with Prime's CPU usage I was even a bit afraid to see what will happen as I don't usually get 100% CPU usage for extensive period of time; as you may know even most demanding games doesn't use 100% CPU all the time. What I wonder is how much this test tested my RAMs' stability tough? I read what you said about this test but as I didn't see a high memory usage by this test I am not sure how much it shows RAMs' stability. In a game however RAM usage is much more. But I guess it's possible for a test program to test RAMs without using a large amount of it at a given time. I'd still like to hear your thoughts about this.

Another thing that occupies my mind is that I believe there is a high chance for these exact set-up to not work if I remove some RAMs, add some in different combinations and then for a final time place RAMs like they were right now. Do you know why might this be? Is it because there are tweaks needed to be made that maybe this state right now is in limbo between success and failure so it can go either ways? With Kingston RAMs in place I am not sure how much I can keep this stable state whether I change something temporarily in the hardware or I do something concerning a hardware demanding software.

I am planning to play some game right now and I'll probably be able to write to you about it too before you reply. I had a couple BSODs and freezings while playing Metro with two Kingstons plugged a few days ago, I'll see how is it going now. I'll be very glad if it goes perfectly smoothly.

This brings me to another topic I mentioned earlier. Do you think there is a problem with my RAM usage? Is it even possible for Windows to "sense" physical RAM problems (despite passing Memtest86+) and use virtual memory instead to prevent failing?

Looking forward to see your suggested settings and your thoughts about the rest tomorrow.

I played 1-2 hours of 'Metro: Last Light' last night I haven't had any problems but I couldn't play more because apparently you can't beat the boss in 'Undercity' when you don't have lots of ammo.

Edit: I am having a small problem; say, when I switch from this tab to another content of pages mix each other for a second in Firefox latest version. But this doesn't happen each time I switch tabs, it happened only a few times, I don't wanna mislead but seems like to happen after a while of inactivity on browser. I don't remember getting this before. Could this be related to RAMs? I haven't recently visited TweakTown before this problem much, so I think it can be caused by TT but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Prequel; 11-01-2014 at 06:03 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

A 4.5 hour Prime95 test with no errors, is a good start, but it does not mean that your system is fully stable.
    The Large FFT tests a lot of memory, that is, it performs a lot or memory reads and writes.
    The Small FFT test heavily stresses your cpu and does not stress memory very much.
    The Blend test alternates between running large FFT and small FFT tests.
    I consider a system to be stable after you have run each of the three Prime95 tests for at least 6 - 8 hours with no errors.
    Several years ago most of us did not consider our systems to be stable until each test had run for 24 hours with no errors in any of the tests!

It's very frustrating to run one or two of the tests for 8 hours or longer with no errors, only to have the next test fail.
    One option that might save you time in the long run is to run each test, one at a time for 2 - 3 hours each time. If there any errors you don't run the remaining tests.
    If all three of the short tests have no errors, then you rerun each test for 6 - 8 hours or longer.

When all three tests run without errors it is then time to continue the next overclocking step and then repeat this testing procedure.
    Needless to say that this gets old real quick.
    This is why it is important to have stable saved bios profiles that you can reload where your system will be stable when you want to take a break from overclocking.

Click on the Prime95 Stress Testing How-To Tutorial from Playtool.com link in my signature for more information.

I didn't see a high memory usage by this test I am not sure how much it shows RAMs' stability.
    Look closely at each test description in the Prime95 window where you select which test to run. The in-place testing option repeatedly uses the same memory location during the test. The Blend test is the only test that does not, by default, use in-place testing. When running LinX or IBT (Intel Burn Test) you can select how much of your available memory you want to test with. You can run monitoring programs like HWiNFO and enable sensor logging to a CSV file that will report any or all sensor information and you can later look at saved sensor readings for temperatures, voltages, memory usage, etc.

Running 8 GB of RAMs with EP45-DS3R-prime95-torture-test-default-options_01-png

I've seen a few cases where switching memory module placement sometimes makes a difference between success and failure.
    Unless one or more of the memory modules were not fully seated, I don't know of other reasons why this might happen.
    You might find it helpful to put a unique letter and/or number on each of your modules. This is what I do.

I seriously doubt that windows or any operating can "sense" memory problems, but....
    .....when many problems occur, programs and operating systems "find out" some information about the problem and can log some information. Computer programmers devote a lot of their time and effort coding error routines that try to deal with any unexpected errors. A BSOD is one type of error handling. When a systems freezes or locks up this tells me that something went wrong and little or nothing could be done about it. It will boggle your mind if you run the windows Event Viewer and try to make any sense of the information. Some forums have several very knowledgeable members who can deal with with this information. Windows 7 Help Forums is one of the best go to places when the poop hits the fan.

Getting your mismatched memory kits to play nicely is going to more involved than if you bought two memory kits (ideally at the same time) that are identical. This is what I did when I bought two brand new, retail Kingston HyperX kits for my 4x2GB memory setup. Buying two identical used memory is a crap shoot; it might work out fine or it might turn out to be a royal PITA.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by Prequel View Post
    I played 1-2 hours of 'Metro: Last Light' last night I haven't had any problems but I couldn't play more because apparently you can't beat the boss in 'Undercity' when you don't have lots of ammo.

Edit: I am having a small problem; say, when I switch from this tab to another content of pages mix each other for a second in Firefox latest version. But this doesn't happen each time I switch tabs, it happened only a few times, I don't wanna mislead but seems like to happen after a while of inactivity on browser. I don't remember getting this before. Could this be related to RAMs? I haven't recently visited TweakTown before this problem much, so I think it can be caused by TT but I'm not sure.
    Keep in mind that with your current setup:
    1. your cpu is running at stock speeds
    2. your memory's settings are not optimized yet
    3. you have only three memory modules installed and your system is no longer running optimally in dual channel mode

Patience!!

Check out Desktop Boards &mdash; Single and Multi-Channel Memory Modes
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

So what do I do now? :)

Do I do other two tests or wait for your suggested settings?

I didn't want to over-complicate things, I just want to make sure RAMs are stable and won't leave me halfway the road after a while. I can play some long game sessions like 6 hours and I think this can be very definitive, at least from my perspective, and I'd probably be fine if it passes that but I'm pretty sure you won't find this helpful. :)

I think I saw RAM section on large FFT but it was greyed out so I didn't look further, again I don't want to over-complicate things, if you think default large FFT is fine for testing RAMs independently of RAM amount usage I'm fine with it.

Oh, I didn't think pages mixing could be performance related. You're right, that's very likely. I'll be patient then.

I can do two other tests for 2-3 hours but I'll probably won't get an error and will have to do 6-8 hours more, so I rather to do 6-8 if I have to. :)

If we were sure my system is stable what would be the next step? New settings for 4 RAMs?

I recall my system wasn't stable before with 3 RAMs, even if it's just a bit. If it's stable now, what do you think made that happen? MCH Core voltage? Something else? Do you think if I remove all RAMs and plug them in the exact same way I'll have no problems? Btw, MCH Core is now 1.24, can that cause problems for mainboard, overheating or something else? My motherboard temp is atm 38c on idle, seems normal.
    Last edited by Prequel; 11-01-2014 at 08:17 PM.

It's been a long day so this will be short.

Using your current 3 memory module setup:

1. Load Optimized bios default settings
    2. Change any bios settings that are needed but do not change any of the MIT bios settings!!
    3. Leave Performance Enhance = Turbo
    4. Create a new saved bios profile named stock all AUTO or something similar
    5. Save settings and exit to boot into windows
    6. If there are no boot problems, immediately create a detailed screen-shot as before, then post the screen-shot
    7. Run Prime95 Large FFT for 2 hours
    8. If there are no errors, pay some games for 30 minutes up to one hour
    9. If there are no errors in the games, shut off your system and install the fourth memory module
    10. Reboot your system and see if your system is stable while gaming and running the Prime95 stress tests

The goal is to get your system fully stable with no overclocking.
    Once the system is stable with all four memory modules installed, we can start overclocking.

The attached screen-shot is from my system with ALL AUTO MIT bios settings, your ALL AUTO ET6 and Memset settings will probably be similar.

All auto w/ turbo will mean 800MHz tough, is that what you want?

If that's what it gives you, fine.
    The primary memory timings will probably be 5-5-5-18 which is also OK, for now.
    My 8GB memory setup is stable with 4-4-4-10 memory timings up to 876MHz which means that my maximum FSB would be 438MHz.
    Using tight cas4 memory settings can often be more difficult compared than cas5 settings with higher memory speeds.

We need to get your system stable with no overclock and we will deal with optimizing memory performance later.
    It's probably the Kingston memory's SPD that is preventing the auto settings from defaulting to 1066MHz speeds and settings.
    If you want to manually set the primary memory timings to 5-5-5-15 with 1066MHz give it a try.

You are obsessing on memory speed, but if you use optimal memory settings, there should be virtually no real world performance difference between optimal cas4 settings below 900MHz and optimal cas5 settings at or below 1066MHz. My preference is to use cas4 settings if possible, but the best settings depend on what FSB setting that you use for your cpu overclock.

You need a solid foundation before you build the rest of your castle.

You're working with one hand tied behind your back with your mixed memory kits.

Here you go:

And this was taken when LinX was running: http://i.imgur.com/FmgiZ9v.jpg

You're probably right about Kingstons preventing me to get 1066. I remember getting 1066 before with only OCZ RAMs installed and being surprised by its ease of use.

I don't mind frequency as long as I can get the same performance but I don't want to be using 800/900/1000 MHz with the same timings (CL5) when I should be running at 1066. But as you said it's probably harder to run at lower timings than higher frequency, so...

I will start Prime 95 and then play some game post its results. And hoping to see I boot with 4 RAMs (I am optimistic that it will work tough, I remember now I was probably running at 800MHz when I was able to boot with 4 RAMs. Will it be stable is another question tough, and it probably will not be).
    Last edited by Prequel; 11-01-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Additional information

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information