Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS4 with 2x HDD's and one SSD

mrsN1 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-P35-DS4 with 2x HDD's and one SSD

Yea i knew about this firmware upgrade, installed the tool even before other drivers. The Magician error is popping up after each pc restart and most options aint visible in it.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrsN1 View Post
    Thanks again guys.

Bought it today, installed the o/s on the ssd drive - basically done everything as you said.
    After installing all the drivers i have connected the HDD's, and just for some reason the Samsung Magician aint working properly now:
    Attachment 7354

What could it be?
    That's the worst reaction from Magician I've ever seen, so it does not run at all? I hope you didn't use the JMicron controller with your 840 EVO.

Every version of Magician has run for me in RAID mode very well, with just the one message about not being in AHCI mode on the main screen. Prof Jim can use Magician software with his P35-DS4 board.

I warned you that it might have an issue. In your case I suspect the Intel RAID driver you are using is the old Matrix Storage driver, version 8.9.0.1023 on your board's download page. Is that correct?

Prof Jim is using the Intel Rapid Storage driver (IRST), that is both an AHCI and RAID driver. I don't know what version he uses, but I imagine it is one of the IRST version 10 or early version 11 releases.

If you're using the Matrix Storage driver, the good news is you can simply install the newer IRST driver right on top of it, no need to remove the old driver first.

You can download IRST 11.7 directly from Intel here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=2101

Gigabyte has some other versions of IRST available on the driver pages of their older boards, but skips ahead suddenly to much newer versions on the Sandy Bridge CPU chipset boards.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

My P35-DS4 (rev 2.0) motherboard uses the F14 standard Gigabyte bios running in Raid mode using a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro ssd and a single WD hard drive where the Magician software is fully functional.

I don't know if using the F15b mod bios will help.
    Check out P35-DS4 Modded Bios Results, post #8

note: I did a binary comparison and the P35-DS4 F14 rev 2.0 and 2.1 bioses are identical.

GA-P35-DS4 BIOS F15b
    Modified with :
    • Intel Serial ATA AHCI 1.20E
    • Intel RAID for SATA 8.9.1.1002 to 10.1.0.1008
    • Jmicron 1.06.59 to 1.07.28
    • Realtek LAN ROM 2.09 to 2.58

I have not used the F15b mod bios.

From post #7 in the same thread:

Seek and ye shall find.

from BIOS Modding Guides and Problems » First Steps GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.1) -- win-raid.com on Jul 02, 2013

Once extracted PCI modules these are the results of check that version have
    ICH9RAID.BIN = Intel(R) RAID for SATA - v7.5.0.1017
    AHCI.BIN = Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E..Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
    JMB59.BIN = PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOSv1.06.59.Copyright (C) 2006-2007 GIGABYTE Technology.
    In the 2nd post, Fernando says:
    Since your mainboard BIOS contains already the latest available Intel AHCI ROM mododule (v1.20E), there are only these 2 Option ROM modules, which can be updated:
    a) Intel RAID ROM (current version: MSM v7.5.0.1017, possible newer version: RST v10.1.0.1008)
    b) JMicron RAID ROM (current version: 1.06.59, possible newer version: 1.07.28)
    It looks to me like RST v10.1.0.1008 should be used instead of the current mod using 12.7.0.1936, but what do I know.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    That's the worst reaction from Magician I've ever seen, so it does not run at all? I hope you didn't use the JMicron controller with your 840 EVO.

Every version of Magician has run for me in RAID mode very well, with just the one message about not being in AHCI mode on the main screen. Prof Jim can use Magician software with his P35-DS4 board.

I warned you that it might have an issue. In your case I suspect the Intel RAID driver you are using is the old Matrix Storage driver, version 8.9.0.1023 on your board's download page. Is that correct?

Prof Jim is using the Intel Rapid Storage driver (IRST), that is both an AHCI and RAID driver. I don't know what version he uses, but I imagine it is one of the IRST version 10 or early version 11 releases.

If you're using the Matrix Storage driver, the good news is you can simply install the newer IRST driver right on top of it, no need to remove the old driver first.

You can download IRST 11.7 directly from Intel here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=2101

Gigabyte has some other versions of IRST available on the driver pages of their older boards, but skips ahead suddenly to much newer versions on the Sandy Bridge CPU chipset boards.
    It does run, but most of the options just aint working (rapid mode etc.)

Maybe it has something to do with the drivers, but i have installed the latest avaible from 2014 (i will check the IRST version as soon as i get back to home from work).

edit: IRST driver version 13.5.0.1056

Basically after i connected the HDD's, windows for some reason did _again_ recognize the EVO drive (this time as a SCSI drive) and installed some drivers automatically - i had to reboot after this. Since then the Magician doesnt recognize the drive properly.

@profJim:

I did check that BIOS thread, but changing BIOS version will be probably the ultimate option for me ;)
    Last edited by mrsN1; 11-01-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsN1 View Post
    It does run, but most of the options just aint working (rapid mode etc.)

Maybe it has something to do with the drivers, but i have installed the latest avaible from 2014 (i will check the IRST version as soon as i get back to home from work).

edit: IRST driver version 13.5.0.1056

Basically after i connected the HDD's, windows for some reason did _again_ recognize the EVO drive (this time as a SCSI drive) and installed some drivers automatically - i had to reboot after this. Since then the Magician doesnt recognize the drive properly.

@profJim:

I did check that BIOS thread, but changing BIOS version will be probably the ultimate option for me ;)
    Where are you getting IRST 13.5.0.1056 from? Is that a typo?

The latest official Intel version is 13.2.4.1000. Or is that an IRST "version" from Gigabyte?

As I have mentioned before, IRST versions beyond 11.x.x.x are not specified for the ICH-type chipsets. An excerpt from the IRST 13.2.4.1000 ReadMe file:

* 1. OVERVIEW
    Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release is designed to provide
    functionality for the following Storage Controllers:
    - Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

* 2. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

1. The system must contain one of the Intel controllers listed in
    section 1 above and one of the following processors**:
    - Intel(R) vPro
    - Intel(R) Celeron
    - Intel(R) Pentium
    - Intel(R) Core™ i3, i5, or i7
    - Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor family

***Note:There are certain Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology features that
    are only enabled based upon the system's processor

Link to IRST driver page (ReadMe file link in upper right corner): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=2101

Note that the ICH9R and a C2Q Q9450 are both missing from these specifications. It could be argued that using this driver with non-specified hardware will simply cause new features to be missing. That is true, but to conclude that otherwise this driver is compatible is based upon what? Certainly not any formal testing with all the possible combinations of chipsets, processors, option ROMs, BIOS/UEFI settings, etc.

This version of IRST and others may install and seem to work fine on unspecified hardware, but if strange, non-obvious issues occur, you may find there isn't any way to solve them.

That also extends to software like Magician, which has worked fine for me in RAID mode using newer hardware, and for Prof Jim. I strongly suggest you read the Magician 4.4 Installation Guide, that includes some debugging of RAPID usage and why RAPID cannot be used in certain circumstances:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...tion_Guide.pdf

It wasn't a typo. I did use Driver Genius to get all the latest avaible drivers and just found on google that the IRST13.5.0.1056 driver was not an official one..
    Those drivers where so good, that even the front usb ports didnt work at all.
    So i dediced to secure erase the drive and installed everything again - but this time without any intel drivers.. and everything seems to work as it should now. Did some benchmarking so im gona add the results here:
    GA-P35-DS4 with 2x HDD's and one SSD-bench-jpg

Atm i got the rapid mode enabled.

Last question would be.. do i really need the IRST stuff?

The full IRST driver and UI, no you don't need that. But you are still using the basic IRST driver that is included with Windows, otherwise your RAID array would not work.

Notice that in the AS SSD screenshot, it shows iaStorV, which is the basic IRST driver included with Windows. You need that, so don't change anything with your SATA driver.

FYI, RAPID mode creates a RAM drive/cache for your 840 EVO, so what you see in the benchmark results are really the speed of your memory, not the SSD itself.

The ATTO result for the EVO in RAPID mode is interesting, the write speeds appear to be less than what an EVO is capable of without RAPID. You can also see the very different results between Crystal and AS SSD, which are normally not very different (without RAPID.)

Don't bother with RAPID mode, because it caches to the ram, if you were to have a power outage you could be faced with an OS corruption. I've had this twice myself. I'm just happy I keep frequent OS backups. if you run it on a laptop and you trust your battery, then by all means use it.

Also you'll only see those speeds on short bursts (like a benchmark) beyond that the EVO will starve the memory and you will be back to the EVO's native speeds. Try copying a large file (greater than 1-2GB) from one folder to another... the speed burst will last about 20-30 seconds... then it'll be back to normal. that's what I experienced with both drives on 2 different systems.

Happy to see you have it sorted out.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    My P35-DS4 (rev 2.0) motherboard uses the F14 standard Gigabyte bios running in Raid mode using a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro ssd and a single WD hard drive where the Magician software is fully functional.

I don't know if using the F15b mod bios will help.
    Check out P35-DS4 Modded Bios Results, post #8

note: I did a binary comparison and the P35-DS4 F14 rev 2.0 and 2.1 bioses are identical.

GA-P35-DS4 BIOS F15b
    Modified with :
    • Intel Serial ATA AHCI 1.20E
    • Intel RAID for SATA 8.9.1.1002 to 10.1.0.1008
    • Jmicron 1.06.59 to 1.07.28
    • Realtek LAN ROM 2.09 to 2.58

I have not used the F15b mod bios.

From post #7 in the same thread:

Seek and ye shall find.

from BIOS Modding Guides and Problems » First Steps GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.1) -- win-raid.com on Jul 02, 2013

It looks to me like RST v10.1.0.1008 should be used instead of the current mod using 12.7.0.1936, but what do I know.
    I meant to reply to this earlier, but other stuff happened.

I tend to agree with you, this is where my opinion diverges from others. I don't believe that the latest option ROM is always the best one to use in every situation. I can't prove I am right or show the others are wrong (neither matters) but at some point how can a new option ROM, that Intel states is not compatible with their older chipsets (the SATA standard marches on), be completely problem free when used with those chipsets?

There was a thread over the summer where a guy with an X58 board IIRC, using an IRST version 13 OROM with his ICH10R SATA chipset, had RAID array problems. A failed drive, when replaced, did not cause the automatic rebuilding of the RAID volume. Then he claimed one of the identical member drives was missing some of its space, and sure enough it was detected as slightly different in capacity. I pointed out his use of an OROM that was beyond Intel's recommendation, which was dismissed/ignored. The thread dead ended at that point, no known resolution.

We have seen related hardware left behind, like the Nvidia SATA chipsets that when confronted with a bit pattern indicating a SATA III SSD, which it does not comprehend, promptly switched the interface speed to SATA I. Or any SSD using the early SandForce 1200 SSD controllers, that will not work with the Intel 8 series PCH chipsets, and beyond. The Intel ICH chipsets are older than a SandForce 1200 controller.

IRST version 12 cut support for anything before Windows 7. It probably works Ok with Vista, etc, just not tested. The same goes for these new OROMs IMO, they may work Ok for most things, others not so good, but we know they were not tested and any bugs will not be in the Release Notes.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Correction for the quoted text in parsec's post where some of Fernando's information doesn't appear:
    Since your mainboard BIOS contains already the latest available Intel AHCI ROM mododule (v1.20E), there are only these 2 Option ROM modules, which can be updated:
    a) Intel RAID ROM (current version: MSM v7.5.0.1017, possible newer version: RST v10.1.0.1008)
    b) JMicron RAID ROM (current version: 1.06.59, possible newer version: 1.07.28)
    The last sentence in the quote is mine.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information