Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cannot Boot With Win 7 Install Disc

BobbyS is offline Junior Member

Angry Cannot Boot With Win 7 Install Disc

I am servicing my pc as the HDD was making noise like it was going to die and the system was acting strange. Sometimes screens would not come up ect.

So I backup and take it down, pull the HDD and replace. When I try to install Win 7 with the install disc it won't get there. I get the POST screen can see the drives and that is it. I do not get the message "press any key to boot from cd". I have tried pressing different keys at POST with no luck. I have made sure the boot sequence was where it needs to be in bios. I also made a USB install thumb drive, changed the boot to USB and it still will not boot to the win install. I have optimized the bios and every thing I could think of.

This is driving me crazy! I hope someone may have an answer as I am thinking my board is dead.

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT:
    GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard v6.00pg bios
    Intel I5 760 processor
    Last edited by BobbyS; 11-03-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Default Re: Cannot Boot With Win 7 Install Disc

I recommend disconnecting all hard drives but the drive you are installing to.. Then after the installation, reconnect the drives.
    Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 v1.0 @ F13s
    Intel Xeon E5-2670
    Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled LGA 2011
    64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel G-Skill Ripjaws Z series DDR3 2133
    EVGA GTX 950 FTW 2GB
    Thermaltake Armor+
    Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
    1 x 2TB WD 2002FAEX SATA
    4 x 2TB WD 20EFRX SATA
    7 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
    Seasonic X-1050 Power Supply
    ASUS RT-AC68U router
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
    I recommend disconnecting all hard drives but the drive you are installing to.. Then after the installation, reconnect the drives.
    I only have one hard drive connected.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
    I get the POST screen can see the drives and that is it.
    I miss understood since you said drives.
    Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 v1.0 @ F13s
    Intel Xeon E5-2670
    Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled LGA 2011
    64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel G-Skill Ripjaws Z series DDR3 2133
    EVGA GTX 950 FTW 2GB
    Thermaltake Armor+
    Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
    1 x 2TB WD 2002FAEX SATA
    4 x 2TB WD 20EFRX SATA
    7 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
    Seasonic X-1050 Power Supply
    ASUS RT-AC68U router
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
    I miss understood since you said drives.
    Sorry about that. I should have said one hard drive and a DVD drive. What is weird is that after POST instead of the message "press any key to boot from cd" all I get is a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your board has multiple SATA chipsets (Intel, Marvell, JMB362) and IDE/PATA support (iTE IT8213).

Which one of these is the HDD target OS drive connected to, and the same for the DVD drive?

Did you use your Windows install disk to make the USB installation drive? Can you hear the DVD drive spinning up at all?

If you tried to use a USB 3.0 port for your USB installation drive, it probably won't be recognized, use a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel.

Did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS? The BIOS version you listed, v6.00PG, does not fit the format of the BIOS files on your board's download page, is it F6?

Your keyboard might not be detected during an OS installation, depending upon where it is connected or its type. Logitech keyboards are notorious for that, if you have a simple, wired USB or PS2 keyboard, use that.

You should have a chance to press a function key to get a boot menu displayed during POST. It sounds like your keyboard is not being recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Your board has multiple SATA chipsets (Intel, Marvell, JMB362) and IDE/PATA support (iTE IT8213).

Which one of these is the HDD target OS drive connected to, and the same for the DVD drive?

I have the HDD connected to the intel chipset and also the DVD drive.

Did you use your Windows install disk to make the USB installation drive? Can you hear the DVD drive spinning up at all?

I tried installing with the Win 7 install disc and the USB boot install drive was made from the latest image iso. and neither of them worked. Yes, the DVD light comes on and I can hear the disc spinning.

If you tried to use a USB 3.0 port for your USB installation drive, it probably won't be recognized, use a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel.

Tried it in both ports to be sure, no go.

Did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS? The BIOS version you listed, v6.00PG, does not fit the format of the BIOS files on your board's download page, is it F6?

Yes, I cleared the CMOS/BIOS. I checked again on the BIOS version and it is F14.

Your keyboard might not be detected during an OS installation, depending upon where it is connected or its type. Logitech keyboards are notorious for that, if you have a simple, wired USB or PS2 keyboard, use that.

I am using a Logitech wireless and it is detected as I can key in to enter BIOS. But I thought maybe my USB fob for it may be pooching it up so I pulled it and connected a wired keyboard in and got the same result.

You should have a chance to a function key to get a boot menu displayed during POST. It sounds like your keyboard is not being recognized.
    I can enter BIOS and change sequence around, switched ports for HHD.things and have changed the boot.

I am just blown away that by removing the HDD, and installing another, that this happens.
    Last edited by BobbyS; 11-04-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Thank you for the help. I figured out the problem. It was because I had both of my monitors connected.....duh!

Thread Information