Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-880GM-USB3 Dual BIOS problems

RoLo014 is offline Junior Member

Default GA-880GM-USB3 Dual BIOS problems

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem that has left me without a functioning PC for the second time this year.

I have the GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 3.1) which granted is a pretty old motherboard but has BIOS updated to the latest FFe (published 2012/07/10) which allowed support socket AM3+ processors and mine is the 8 core FX 8350.

My problem is that for some unknown reason my PC wont post and the mobo doesnt even beep. The same thing happened 6 months ago and i was able to resolve this by borrowing an older 6 core Phenom II X6 1055T, after putting it in the mobo posted and wanted to copy the BIOS from the backup, after this i was able to enter windows again, download the latest BIOS, update and then re-insert my 8 core FX 8350, all was fine again. Now it would appear that 6 months later the same thing has happend and the mobo wont post again. I have managed to acquire an old sempron 140 but its still not posting after many attempts to cap the jumpers and reset the BIOS - sigh. Tomorrow i will try again the 6 core Phenom II X6 1055T to see if that works again.

I have no idea why it does this, my PC is 100% stable in between this BIOS posting problem, it would appear that something is very sensitive in the mobo for it to suddenly want to revert back to the old BIOS. And the fact that you cant update the backup BIOS to a newer version leaves you up the creek without a paddle if the backup BIOS is not compatible with your current CPU.

Im thinking about purchasing a new Motherboard, can anyone recommend a GIGABYTE motherboard with out-of-the-box support for the 8 core FX 8350?

Thank you.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-880GM-USB3 Dual BIOS problems

Quote Originally Posted by RoLo014 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem that has left me without a functioning PC for the second time this year.

I have the GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 3.1) which granted is a pretty old motherboard but has BIOS updated to the latest FFe (published 2012/07/10) which allowed support socket AM3+ processors and mine is the 8 core FX 8350.

My problem is that for some unknown reason my PC wont post and the mobo doesnt even beep. The same thing happened 6 months ago and i was able to resolve this by borrowing an older 6 core Phenom II X6 1055T, after putting it in the mobo posted and wanted to copy the BIOS from the backup, after this i was able to enter windows again, download the latest BIOS, update and then re-insert my 8 core FX 8350, all was fine again. Now it would appear that 6 months later the same thing has happend and the mobo wont post again. I have managed to acquire an old sempron 140 but its still not posting after many attempts to cap the jumpers and reset the BIOS - sigh. Tomorrow i will try again the 6 core Phenom II X6 1055T to see if that works again.

I have no idea why it does this, my PC is 100% stable in between this BIOS posting problem, it would appear that something is very sensitive in the mobo for it to suddenly want to revert back to the old BIOS. And the fact that you cant update the backup BIOS to a newer version leaves you up the creek without a paddle if the backup BIOS is not compatible with your current CPU.

Im thinking about purchasing a new Motherboard, can anyone recommend a GIGABYTE motherboard with out-of-the-box support for the 8 core FX 8350?

Thank you.
    First, your 8350 CPU is not listed in your board's CPU support list: GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 880G - GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 3.1)

Simply because the specs state support for AM3+ processors does not mean it can use all of them. Particularly a board with a modest VRM stage for the CPU, and no heat sink on the VRM chips. Hopefully you are not over clocking the CPU, as the VRM must be hot and stressed even at stock speeds.

Next, the FFe BIOS is a beta version, added for Vishera support, and an Opteron processor for some reason. Given the CPU support list, the FE BIOS is probably your best choice.

Out of the box support for the FX 8350 is not hard to find, as long as it has an AMD 900 series chipset, but always check the CPU support list. Plus it should have a decent VRM stage with a heat sink.

RoLo014 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    First, your 8350 CPU is not listed in your board's CPU support list: GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 880G - GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 3.1)

Simply because the specs state support for AM3+ processors does not mean it can use all of them. Particularly a board with a modest VRM stage for the CPU, and no heat sink on the VRM chips. Hopefully you are not over clocking the CPU, as the VRM must be hot and stressed even at stock speeds.

Next, the FFe BIOS is a beta version, added for Vishera support, and an Opteron processor for some reason. Given the CPU support list, the FE BIOS is probably your best choice.

Out of the box support for the FX 8350 is not hard to find, as long as it has an AMD 900 series chipset, but always check the CPU support list. Plus it should have a decent VRM stage with a heat sink.
    Thanks for your input, parsec.

Today I managed to swap out the cpu for the older 6 core 1055T and it still doesnt post, so im sitting here scratching my head because this trick worked last time. I gave it to a technician to see if he could have any luck with it, if not then i will have to purchase a new motherboard. Actually either way i will have to puchase a new motherboard because i cant risk this happening again.

To answer your question i was running everything at stock 4Ghz. I also saw from your link that the 8350 is indeed not listed but has an opteron - strange. Does the fact that its not listed mean that its not supported, if so im not sure why it would run rock solid for months and only present this problem when i switch on the PC? Im not a technician so i really have no idea, i had to look up what VRM staging was because i didnt know.

I did i bit a researching and found these two posssible candidates for a replacement.

GA-990FXA-UD3
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0)

GA-970A-DS3P
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)

In your opinion, could one of these be a solid option?

Thanks.

smauderer is offline Junior Member

I have the 990 fxa ud3 v 1.1 works great just can't understand the whole bios settings having issuea getting it to read ram right after I had to clear cmos but it's a good boars I have same cpu

Thread Information