Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1.Sniper 5 will not Post BIOS

rlarajr is offline Junior Member

Default G1.Sniper 5 will not Post BIOS

Iím a newbie and building my first gaming machine. Iím having a boot problem with my G1.Sniper 5 board. I never get a display showing the BIOS boot post. Here are the symptoms.

If I set dual boot off, the board LEDs light up, the fan on the board spins, the case cooling fans come on, CPU water cooler and connected drives all come on. But I never get a display on the monitor. It remains black.

Next I set the board to dual BIOS boot and the switch to the second BIOS. The board comes on as before, but stays on for about three seconds then shuts down for about one second, then starts up again. This cycle will continually repeat until I cut power to the board.

I contacted tech. support and they said my board probably didnít have the latest BIOS to run the processor (i7 4790k Haswell). I sent it for repair and had the same problem. I sent it back to Gigabyte a second time and just got it back last night and itís still having the same problem.

The display is plugged into one of the HDMI ports and Iím using an HDMI to DVI cable. Here are some of the things Iíve tried
    ∑ Removed RAM and booted Ė no change
    ∑ Disconnected hard drive & solid state drives Ė no change

I also took readings from the voltage probes on the board. I can give more details if those are needed, but thought Iíd just put the word out to see if anybody has run into this problem. I listed the components I have below

Processor: i7 4790K
    RAM: Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
    Pwr. Supp: EVGA SuperNova 750G2

Thanks - Robert

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: G1.Sniper 5 will not Post BIOS

I'm guessing they flashed the main bios but not the backup, is probably why it shuts down when you throw the switch.
    Anyway, have you tried a good CMOS clear?
    Can you dig up some gpu card and try it to see if you get anything? Maybe once in BIOS then you could set the boot display to IGFX.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your board needs BIOS F9 for an i7-4790K to work. I would hope Gigabyte did that when they had the board, any indication of the BIOS versions in the board?

The BIOS should default to using the on-CPU graphics if no video card is used, regardless of the video setting in the BIOS.

The HDMI to DVI cable I wonder about, have you used it before on any PCs? I assume your monitor does not have a HDMI input?

boondocks is offline Senior Member

"Should" default to IGFX isn't always so....but that's why I suggested a good CMOS clear. I've owned a bunch of Gigabyte boards and sometimes it takes some finagling to get video working, whether on board graphics or separate gpu's.
    I've had to fall back to hot plugging the hdmi, although I don't really suggest it.

If hitting the CMOS button after turning off the power supply for a minute doesn't work, try a "good" CMOS clear by removing the battery for a minute or so.
    Last edited by boondocks; 12-25-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

You never mention the video card what it is or what you have tried......................
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

xplode is offline Junior Member

As jaggerwild said, you did not mention if you use integrated or external video card. If you use older than F9 BIOS your iGPU will not be recognized as well as your CPU. You may try adding temporary external card to update your BIOS at least to F9.

rlarajr is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your responses. Here are some answers to your questions and more questions of my own.

I actually put a piece of paper in the box the second time I returned the board stating that Iím using an i7 4790K processor. I hope they flashed it to the proper version for that processor.

The first time I ran into the problem, I used a monitor with an HDMI port. But this is the one on my home system and its a hassle to dicsonnect/reconnect every time I test. The second time I got the board back from Gigabyte, I decided to use an older spare monitor so I donít have to keep hearing complaints, from my wife, about the main system being down while I'm testing the project system. The spare monitor has one DVI and one VGA port. Thus the use of the HDMI to DVI cable. I did test the cable with my home system, it did work there.

As I stated in my original post, Iíve been plugging into the HDMI ports on the board. I assume both ports use the integrated video card? Iíve tried both ports and got the same results from each.

A few more questions.
    • If Gigabyte flashed the BIOS to the version that would work with my processor, wouldnít they have had to do something to turn on the integrated video ports to see the results of the flash?
    • If there was a problem with the onboard video display, would they have noticed that and done a repair?
    • Would Gigabyte not have flashed the board so that primary and secondary BIOS preferences could boot with the 4790k?

When I first encountered the problem, I tried using the on board CMOS clear button, to no affect. I havenít tried the button after the second factory return. Iíll be back home Sunday night and Iíll try the CMOS clear by removing the battery and let you guys know the results.

Thanks for the help so far.

parsec is offline Senior Member

My ASRock board's UEFI can have the Primary Graphics Adapter set to PCI Express (video card), but with no video card installed in the PC, will use the CPU's integrated graphics. IMO that is just logical programming for the POST process, similar to trying each drive in the boot order list until an OS is found.

How does a mobo manufacture choose the default setting for the video source in the UEFI, when they know that the user can either have a processor with or without integrated graphics, or be using a video card?

If the user installs a video card, it's likely that is what they want to use even if integrated graphics are available. So checking for a video card first makes the most sense, and that becomes the default Primary Graphics Adapter setting. If a video card is not installed, and integrated graphics are possible, use that as the video source second choice, and make it active. The only other possibility is no integrated graphics, so if both video sources are missing, that's a POST error, if that can be detected.

Regardless, try video card first, if none installed, use integrated graphics, so no problems with a new board or after a UEFI/BIOS update.

Forcing a user to use a video card when integrated graphics are available, just to reset a UEFI option when the integrated graphics can be automatically selected during POST, would be a horrible procedure that serves no purpose. If a manufacture uses that configuration, they are clueless.

I can't imagine Gigabyte would use a UEFI on this board whose POST would require the use of a video card. Or at worst without telling us that.

The purpose of the dual UEFI/BIOS is to have a working backup BIOS if the primary BIOS is corrupted. So both BIOS chips should have been flashed to the minimum UEFI version for your CPU, F9. Anything else is sloppy or again, clueless.

So you received the board back twice now with NO indication of what was done? No indication of what UEFI was installed? Many boards have stickers on the CMOS/BIOS chips to show the version installed.

Addressing another comment above, if the CPU won't work with the F9 UEFI, how would using a video card with the board allow a user to flash the board to the F9 UEFI?

If I were testing this build, I would borrow the monitor with the HDMI input, connect it to the new build with an HDMI to HDMI cable, and give it a try. If still no video to the monitor, something else is wrong, return the monitor to its usual location, all done in 15 minutes.

When you tried the HDMI to DVI cable on the other system, was that done with the HDMI connection on the PC, and the DVI connection on the monitor? If not, the test may not be valid.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Quote Originally Posted by rlarajr View Post
    Thanks for your responses. Here are some answers to your questions and more questions of my own.

I actually put a piece of paper in the box the second time I returned the board stating that I’m using an i7 4790K processor. I hope they flashed it to the proper version for that processor.

The first time I ran into the problem, I used a monitor with an HDMI port. But this is the one on my home system and its a hassle to dicsonnect/reconnect every time I test. The second time I got the board back from Gigabyte, I decided to use an older spare monitor so I don’t have to keep hearing complaints, from my wife, about the main system being down while I'm testing the project system. The spare monitor has one DVI and one VGA port. Thus the use of the HDMI to DVI cable. I did test the cable with my home system, it did work there.

As I stated in my original post, I’ve been plugging into the HDMI ports on the board. I assume both ports use the integrated video card? I’ve tried both ports and got the same results from each.

A few more questions.
    • If Gigabyte flashed the BIOS to the version that would work with my processor, wouldn’t they have had to do something to turn on the integrated video ports to see the results of the flash?
    • If there was a problem with the onboard video display, would they have noticed that and done a repair?
    • Would Gigabyte not have flashed the board so that primary and secondary BIOS preferences could boot with the 4790k?

When I first encountered the problem, I tried using the on board CMOS clear button, to no affect. I haven’t tried the button after the second factory return. I’ll be back home Sunday night and I’ll try the CMOS clear by removing the battery and let you guys know the results.

Yes , I believe Gigabyte would have done what you mention if they have indeed flashed the upgraded bios to accommodate your new i7. But, what maybe different is they will be using different components, ie, different ram, different Psu, different cooler, so do keep that in mind. They may have used the Display Port instead....... So if one of your components is the culprit, whenever they return the board back to you, you may encounter the boot issue.

If after clearing your CMOS you still have issues, you could check if the Devil's canyon i7 is working fine as it should. Static or voltage issues can cause boot up issues too, so you could verify that the PSU is indeed operating as it should plus your cooling system. And I assume the ram sticks are compatible with the motherboard too right???

As boondocks suggested, if you could find some external video card to plug in to test would be good too. If Gigabyte did not upgrade the bios as they should have that will be a da*n shame on their part. I hope that is not the case. If you have time, you may want to trouble shoot your components.

@Parsec , I assume he did connect the hdmi from the PC to the DVI at the back of the monitor since he said the two connectors at the back of the monitor were DVI and VGA. He also mentioned that the cable was tested prior and was working. I would hope so cause you are right, if he reverses the cable it may not work at all.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by rlarajr View Post

I actually put a piece of paper in the box the second time I returned the board stating that Iím using an i7 4790K processor. I hope they flashed it to the proper version for that processor.

The first time I ran into the problem, I used a monitor with an HDMI port. But this is the one on my home system and its a hassle to dicsonnect/reconnect every time I test. The second time I got the board back from Gigabyte, I decided to use an older spare monitor so I donít have to keep hearing complaints, from my wife, about the main system being down while I'm testing the project system. The spare monitor has one DVI and one VGA port. Thus the use of the HDMI to DVI cable. I did test the cable with my home system, it did work there.

As I stated in my original post, Iíve been plugging into the HDMI ports on the board. I assume both ports use the integrated video card? Iíve tried both ports and got the same results from each.

A few more questions.
    • If Gigabyte flashed the BIOS to the version that would work with my processor, wouldnít they have had to do something to turn on the integrated video ports to see the results of the flash?

When I first encountered the problem, I tried using the on board CMOS clear button, to no affect. I havenít tried the button after the second factory return. Iíll be back home Sunday night and Iíll try the CMOS clear by removing the battery and let you guys know the results.

Let me know what your getting, remove the battery over night. If that does not work, CAREFULLY* re-seat the CPU and cooler(don't not bend CPU pins). Try a different monitor with an Adapter, unplug the wall pony tail while Battery clearing over night. If that does not work, try removing and re-seating all power plugs(disconnect the DVD/CD drive)remove everything that the boot does not depend upon. Any main part that you have extras of, or if you have a Mirco center near by swap out stuff like the PSU. I'm not sure why but I have seen certain units will not work with certain main boards......... POST BACK your results(this aint rocket science)!!!
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information