Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do not use easytune - it is a virus and will screw up your motherboard

Default Re: Do not use easytune - it is a virus and will screw up your motherboard

In the end, I should summarize the problem:

a) Gigabyte has developed EasyTune to modify the system performance through a software application. Good.

b) Bad: it seems to do things "it's own way", not necessarily reflecting what's in the BIOS. Then...

c) Worse: it will "burn" those settings into the BIOS and you will have no way of overriding them. Even after un-installing the application, resetting the bios (Optimized Defaults), clearing the CMOS, re-flashing, etc.

There is at least one other thread out there where a guy used EasyTune and his temps went up. So he uninstalled it and was never able to get his temps back down. Check it out:

Processor running hot after using easytune 6, HAAALLLPPP!!! - CPUs - CPUs

Someone asks:

"Have you tried to reset your bios to use "fail safe default" or "Optimized" yet.

If neither of these do not work, I would try a reseat of the HSF."

His response:

"i've actually done all of those, i did optimized and fail safe, and neither did anything. Also i pulled my HSF off and reseated it but it did nothing as well. I'm pretty much stumped as to why my cpu is running as hot as it is now at idle."

Clearly EasyTune is a poorly developed application in that it likely uses undocumented overclocking features which take precedence over standard OC features, and even permanently. Not only can your CPU get stuck at a particular frequency/mode, but perhaps, even your voltages can get hosed, and of course, no way back. If you check the above link you'll see that it was in 2011, so potentially this problem has been around for a while. Gigabyte is being hugely irresponsible by bundling this app and should pull it ASAP. Think of all the Gigabyte motherboards that may have been permanently screwed up by EasyTune and no way to tell. Would you buy a used or open box Gigabyte motherboard on eBay now? I know I wouldn't.
    Last edited by gigab; 01-27-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: Do not use easytune - it is a virus and will screw up your motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Try clearing CMOS with a jumper/short on the clear CMOS pins: unplug power, press power to drain capacistors, pop the battery, short clear CMOS, leave it for about 20 minutes, roll back and reboot.

Have you tried setting clock to 100 manually?
    Btw, clearing CMOS or loading Optimized Defaults DOES restore the settings to stock, except for the CPU frequency. So it mostly works. Guess I didn't make that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I don't quite understand, in image 4 M.I.T shows 4GHz but in image 5 it shows 4.4 where?
    In image #5, look at CPU Frequency, it shows: 4390 MHz (that's close enough to 4.4). It used to show 4000 MHz.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gigab View Post
    Btw, clearing CMOS or loading Optimized Defaults DOES restore the settings to stock, except for the CPU frequency. So it mostly works. Guess I didn't make that clear.
    Yes, I understood, but at least back in the days, sometimes a long BIOS reset was needed.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Why EasyTune would change the following options, I don't know, but I see a couple things that may be related to your situation.

I noticed the "Performance Upgrade" and "CPU Upgrade" options in your screen shots. While they are set to Auto, that could easily be Enabled and not Disabled. They may be raising the CPU multiplier behind the scenes. I've seen mobo reviews including Gigabyte boards where it is mentioned the default BIOS options apply enhancements like these on Gigabyte boards, apparently to make them appear superior in stock/default performance tests. Most reviewers know this, but then leave the settings alone. At least they mention it.

About the Default settings of one core at 4.4GHz, that looks like the standard Intel rules for Turbo 2.0 boost with stock clock settings. With one core Turbo boosted, the speed will be 4.4GHz. With two cores boosted, it will be less, 4.3 or 4.2GHz, etc for three and four cores Turbo boosted. I don't know the true values for an i7-4790K.

I agree with gigab that the base processor frequency of a i7-4790K is 4.0GHz. The maximum Turbo frequency is 4.4GHz for one core. Those are the default, standard specs. A multiplier of 44 is the default, one core maximum Turbo multiplier.

ARK | Intel® Core

Perhaps EasyTune was meant to do what it did, "magically" increasing performance by simply being installed and run once. Speaking of which, check your Windows Startup entries and see if EasyTune left something behind that might be causing what you see.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Why EasyTune would change the following options, I don't know, but I see a couple things that may be related to your situation.

I noticed the "Performance Upgrade" and "CPU Upgrade" options in your screen shots. While they are set to Auto, that could easily be Enabled and not Disabled. They may be raising the CPU multiplier behind the scenes. I've seen mobo reviews including Gigabyte boards where it is mentioned the default BIOS options apply enhancements like these on Gigabyte boards, apparently to make them appear superior in stock/default performance tests. Most reviewers know this, but then leave the settings alone. At least they mention it.

About the Default settings of one core at 4.4GHz, that looks like the standard Intel rules for Turbo 2.0 boost with stock clock settings. With one core Turbo boosted, the speed will be 4.4GHz. With two cores boosted, it will be less, 4.3 or 4.2GHz, etc for three and four cores Turbo boosted. I don't know the true values for an i7-4790K.

I agree with gigab that the base processor frequency of a i7-4790K is 4.0GHz. The maximum Turbo frequency is 4.4GHz for one core. Those are the default, standard specs. A multiplier of 44 is the default, one core maximum Turbo multiplier.

ARK | Intel® Core

Perhaps EasyTune was meant to do what it did, "magically" increasing performance by simply being installed and run once. Speaking of which, check your Windows Startup entries and see if EasyTune left something behind that might be causing what you see.
    If that's the case and those are the real defaults set by Gigabyte, then maybe motherboard was tweaked differently at factory? It was showing 4000 MHz to begin with. That's the only explanation. I'm not aware that the Turbo Boost is suppost to default to Turbo. I don't find that in the Intel specs. It says:

Processor Base Frequency 4 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 4.4 GHz

"Intel® Turbo Boost Technology dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it, and increased energy efficiency when you don’t."

It says it boosts the frequency "as needed". Booting into the BIOS or letting Windows run at idle shouldn't need a boost (assuming C1E is disabled).

I uninstalled EasyTune btw.
    Last edited by gigab; 01-28-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Look at the board English manual page 40.
    I am quite sure the is no CPU with a non-turbo frequency of 3892MHz, BCLK is not a round 100 either (99.79)
    <s>Please go to M.I.T\Advance Frequency settings\Advance CPU Core Settings and lets see what you got there.</s>
    Nevermind, I saw it in your pictures, get HWiNOFO, and see what frequencies cores are at idle, light load and heavy load.
    EDIT: If your frequencies are 4000 and 4400 like in this image it's fine.
    Last edited by Chike; 01-28-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gigab View Post
    If that's the case and those are the real defaults set by Gigabyte, then maybe motherboard was tweaked differently at factory? It was showing 4000 MHz to begin with. That's the only explanation. I'm not aware that the Turbo Boost is suppost to default to Turbo. I don't find that in the Intel specs. It says:

Processor Base Frequency 4 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 4.4 GHz

"Intel® Turbo Boost Technology dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it, and increased energy efficiency when you don’t."

It says it boosts the frequency "as needed". Booting into the BIOS or letting Windows run at idle shouldn't need a boost (assuming C1E is disabled).

I uninstalled EasyTune btw.
    Reasonable points, but consider:

With multiple core and thread processors, how are the multiple cores used, or assigned tasks? The OS does that, or software that is designed to do so. I've read that the BIOS/UEFI UI running uses one core/one thread only. Assuming that is true, how much stress the BIOS/UEFI UI puts on a single core is the question.

I've also read that any processor power saving options (SpeedStep, C States) are not active when the BIOS/UEFI UI is running. Which means the processor speed would not change from its base clock (normally 4.0GHz for this processor) regardless of load.

The next question is if Turbo is active in the BIOS/UEFI UI.

Your screen shots show a CPU Clock Ratio of 40, but I also see the Advanced CPU Core Settings option just below it. Those settings are not shown in any screen shot. Core ratios/multipliers could be set to 44 in that screen. That's how over clocking is done, by changing the multipliers, and can be done on a per core or all core basis. Some boards let you set the base clock ratio to a different value, which may be what the option in your screen shot is about.

I've realized we may not have seen enough of your CPU multiplier options to know what they are really set to.

OR this is just another Gigabyte BIOS bug, given that you cleared the CMOS and the CPU frequency stayed the same, at 4390MHz. Also, the automatic performance boost options I mentioned would be active if enabled by default (they are) even after a CMOS clear.

chrmann is offline Junior Member

Hello guys,

I got the same issue with my gigabyte mobo (G1.Sniper B5). I installed easytune B14.1016.1 and just opened it. The processor settings never get to default again.
    My i7-4790 clock and voltage are irregular. I uninstalled the software, did clear cmos, and installed another bios version. But the bios settings still the same.

I have to set the processor multipliers and voltage manually. Turbo boost need to be off, then clock frequency get close to stock values (3600MHz), actual is 3591,8 MHZ (36 x 99,8MHz).

I'm very disappointed with gigabyte, this issue has no end.
    Attached Images Attached Images Do not use easytune - it is a virus and will screw up your motherboard-pc_problem-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by chrmann View Post
    Hello guys,

I got the same issue with my gigabyte mobo (G1.Sniper B5). I installed easytune B14.1016.1 and just opened it. The processor settings never get to default again.
    My i7-4790 clock and voltage are irregular. I uninstalled the software, did clear cmos, and installed another bios version. But the bios settings still the same.

I have to set the processor multipliers and voltage manually. Turbo boost need to be off, then clock frequency get close to stock values (3600MHz), actual is 3591,8 MHZ (36 x 99,8MHz).

I'm very disappointed with gigabyte, this issue has no end.
    That is terrible!

When Intel released the X58 chipset and i7-900 series processors, they also released the first version of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU.) IXTU is an over clocking program that runs in Windows, and for the first time it was able to modify the same CPU registers that are changed by BIOS options, and do it correctly. IXTU still exists today, and has been modified to work with every Intel processor generation.

Mother board manufactures are able to use the same methods that Intel created and use in their IXTU program to allow over clocking in Windows. I have yet to see any of them produce software that works as well as IXTU does.

IMO, IXTU works very well for over clocking in the Windows environment. But there is one basic thing that it does not do: IXTU does not override the option settings in the UEFI/BIOS. If you restart the PC after an IXTU OC session, you'll boot up with whatever the settings are in the BIOS. You can save your IXTU settings in a profile and apply them when Windows boots, or select any one of several profiles in the IXTU UI while using Windows. You can even pair a profile with a program you use, run that program and an OC profile you defined will be used until the program is closed.

But IXTU will never change the values of the registers as they are defined by the BIOS settings. All of the other Windows over clocking utilities provided by ASRock or Asus work as IXTU does, by not permanently changing BIOS settings. While that may seem to be a limitation of this software, there may be (are) good reasons why it is not allowed.

Apparently Gigabyte tried to make Easy Tune change BIOS option data permanently. It seems they succeeded to a degree, but seem to not fully know what they are doing. It seems as if the data in the MSR registers was changed but then locked.

This situation qualifies very well for the old joke; It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I've noticed on other manufacture's over clocking programs, that the settings/values displayed on the OC screens do not always match what the BIOS settings are. The core multiplier may be wrong, or are set to the current value, which may be when the CPU is in a low speed idle state. So instead of a multiplier/ratio of 40, it is set to 8. Click the Apply button at that point, and your processor runs at 800MHz all the time.

My point is, would it be possible to fix the bad settings you are stuck with now by running Easy Tune and making sure what it displays are the standard stock settings. Only then click the Apply button. Then uninstall it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information