Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks View Post
    Yes, I can shutdown my pc after being on for a while, then it'll boot back on A-OK with no issues. It's as if it physically being warm helps somehow haha?!
    From the old days I went to school and actually got in class sometimes I remember that objects expand when their temperature rise. It is very possible that a not 100% tight connection id fixed when things heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks
    Hmmm... memtest on cold boot.... I'll do that next time I do some tests! Make's sense I guess. Although up until now I've figured 'If the ram's faulty, it's faulty..."
    That is true, if... it's the RAM that is faulty.

Just for the record, when I refer to 'cold boot', and I could be using the term wrong here, I mean when it's been off for a while and physically at room temperature again (most likely).
    Cold boot = by power from shutdown, warm boot = reboot, but we need to find if it's the "cold boot" or actually the cold.

I think my motherboard's manual is fairly strict with which slots to use with different amounts of sticks.

If I were to use 5 sticks, which slots would I use? 1,2,3,4,5? Would it then only run in single-channel? To be fair, i'm not that bothered by single/dual/triple... apparently there's such a small difference in 95% of uses.
    They all are I think, ever since 2nd gen.
    There is no 5 sticks configuration in the book but there is 4(dual channel).
    Can you post/attach both new and old RAM SPD data? You can get this with Thaiphoon, maybe with some luckm if old RAM work in slots 1, 3, 5, you can get them to work together for 12GB total.

Megatonks is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Can you post/attach both new and old RAM SPD data? You can get this with Thaiphoon, maybe with some luckm if old RAM work in slots 1, 3, 5, you can get them to work together for 12GB total.
    I've installed Thaiphoon and here's the 3 snapshots for the NEW mushkin ram (not my old 100% stable corsair xms3)

at 50h

at 52h

at 54h

I assumed there are 3 readings because there's 3 sticks, but i'm not certain, so apologies if I've posted 3 for no reason!

I'm gonna leave my pc off overnight then run memtest first thing in the morning all day on these current 3 sticks.

If I know they're fine, then i'll try with 6 sticks the following day!
    Attached Images Attached Images X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE-snap11022015003340-png 

Yes, only one of them they are all the same, and one of the others for comparison.

AAaaAAArrghghgrhghghgrghr

This is driving me insane!

Just spent the past few hours trialling and erroring memtests with diff BIOS settings and swapping around DIMMS and slots and what-not.

At first I had the 6gb (3 dimms) stable. Yay.

Then added one more and moved into dual channel...passed a 30minute memtest, 8gb, yay (good enough for now)

Added a 5th stick into the 3rd triple channel slot. All picked up by bios fine, 10gb recognised, but was giving memtest errors immediately: Addresses always between 7-8GB memory

Did some Bios tweaking, relaxing timings to 11-11-11-24 and slightly under 1066mhz, increasing voltages and tinkering with the uncore (common 'successful changes' were between x13 to x15... my SPD is at 6.) ..DRAM to 1.66v and QPI to 1.42v maximum at one stage... and got these 5 sticks down to only one error in 10 tests, rather than the errors on each test (all in the same place & address range) i was getting before.

Figured this was hopeful, and good progress, so went for the 6th stick. Errors started happening again. Nothing I could change in Bios seemed to help, and I didn't want to up the QPI anymore to be honest.

Took the 2 out to leave me with just 4 sticks in dual channel... fine with no errors (no immediate ones anyway...like before)

So I figure... the errors are in the same range every time, the 7-8GB range tells me it's either the DIMM in slot 4, or an error with slot 4 itself? Some research indicated this may well NOT be the case as it doesn't always sequence that way, so I did some swapping and trialling to try and pinpoint the Faulty DIMM.

However...None of them seemed to be the specific cause....strange..Maybe it's a slot?

Slot 1 and 2. fine, no errors.

Slot 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6.... no errors. 10 gb fine... So the issue must be slot 4 right? Yay, pinpointed the problem (although still annoying)...

Lets pop the last stick into slot 4 to confirm... run memtest...wait.. NO ERRORS

WHAT?!

I'm now booted into windows with all 12gb that randomly stopped giving the immediate errors that was happening during the initial memtests. Great...if it lasts. If the last few weeks for me are anything to go by, cold boots don't work well for me!

The only thing I can think of is that my multiple installing and removal of DIMMS into slots i'd never used before (2,4 and 6) has 'cleared' them or something?

Or Maybe it's just that with all the testing it's toasty and warm again and tomorrow morning i'll not be able to boot again. I'll report back with regard to that.

SO i'm now booted with 12gb at

QPI of 1.4v (I think)
    DRAM at 1.66v
    XMP off (no point when i'm setting my own DRAM and QPI voltages right?)
    SPD at 6
    BCLK at 179, 20 Multi for my overclock (In the middle of my testing I figured why not, and it didn't seem to make a difference), CPU at 1.3v. Turbo OFF
    That BCLK is putting the memory at JUST under 1066, as 1333 was giving hundred of errors in seconds.
    11-11-11-24 timings at 2T command rate.

None of this has followed any patterns at all for it to make sense or to pinpoint anything really. Unless you guys can see something I cant?

Here's some screenies of CPU-Z and Thaiphoon and HW monitor again

1066 CAS 11? I can move data faster by hand even if I need to do it bit by bit.
    When did 1333 gave errors, would it error if you set it to 1333 after the PC has been on for a while?

Booted this morning (complete cold boot) straight into memtest86+, didn't change ANYTHING since it booted great last night.

The screen was red with errors immediately. Nothing changed apart from the physical warmth of the pc?!

Rebooted into bios, increased QPI voltage to 1.42v, and dropped uncore freq to x13 (it WAS on x15), No memtest errors.

From thousands of errors, to no errors at all within 30 seconds.

Even when I was testing 6gb of RAM i found reducing to 1066 was the only thing that kept it stable. I'll try and increase the speed and tighten timings once I get this stable as it is (if ever).

I'm so tempted to sell it all and buy 2 x 8gb.

When I speed it up and tighten timings, what should also be changed in my bios to compensate?

UPDATE:

Just jumped into BIOS after I read your post, adjusted by BCLK and SPD (8) to achieve as near to 1333 as poss (1336), and adjusted the uncore to match to x16 as it's gotta be 2x the SPD right?

Got an error at 3rd test. Only one though! At a VERY similar address to most of the previous errors and at 7223.x MB in my RAM. Looks like the same place!
    Last edited by Megatonks; 02-12-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Update

Leave OC aside until this problem is figured out. I think uncore needs to be mem multi x 2 (or +/- 1 don't remember exactly).

So it does turn to be temperature(?) issue or mostly it.
    If you get error get the exact memory address maybe we can identify the dim it comes from. Need to see how memory is interleaved.

Try 4 DIMMS 1, 2, 3, 4 and if you still have the cold boot errors back to old RAM, and if you do post it's SPD data.

Won't do any good to by 2 x 8GB just to have the same errors, lets find what it is first. If it is just maybe one slot problem with new RAM maybe it can be solved by mixing old & new kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Leave OC aside until this problem is figured out. I think uncore needs to be mem multi x 2 (or +/- 1 don't remember exactly).

So it does turn to be temperature(?) issue or mostly it.
    If you get error get the exact memory address maybe we can identify the dim it comes from. Need to see how memory is interleaved.

Try 4 DIMMS 1, 2, 3, 4 and if you still have the cold boot errors back to old RAM, and if you do post it's SPD data.

Won't do any good to by 2 x 8GB just to have the same errors, lets find what it is first. If it is just maybe one slot problem with new RAM maybe it can be solved by mixing old & new kits.
    I did try to pinpoint the DIMM by testing 2 sticks at a time, but maybe this wasn't enough of a struggle on the MOBO/IMC/DIMM to cause the errors?

Good idea, i'll try 4 at a time and see if thats enough to cause errors (although it wasn't last time), and try to pinpoint the dodgy dimm then. If when i switch DIMMs around the memory error stays in the same place, then I know it's a slot causing the issue.

That'll also clear up whether i'm having Slot problems in 1,2,3 or 4, answering my 'whether to buy new 2x8gb ram or not' question!

Will tackle this tomorrow night!

Booted this morning with my OLD (fully working before all this) RAM.

3 sticks, into 1,3,5, triple channel.

ERROR

Managed to run the test 3 times where I got errors in pass 1, test 3 all 3 times, at around the 2400mb mark. I was tweaking bios settings slightly (more towards 'normal' after my rather high QPI etc) in between.

The 4th time didn't throw any errors.

I'm thinking by the 4th test it was 'warmed up' enough.

So, It must be a dodgy slot? The chances of the sticks being at fault here are slim.

Hmm, maybe the slot just needs a 'clean' or can i just avoid it? hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks View Post
    So, It must be a dodgy slot? The chances of the sticks being at fault here are slim.
    Yup, not the RAM anyway.

Hmm, maybe the slot just needs a 'clean' or can i just avoid it? hmm
    Could be, I don't know how to clean memory slot though.
    According to the manual slot 5 is the only one that can be avoided, so try just slot 1 & 3 next cold boot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information