Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Megatonks is offline Junior Member

Default Re: X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Got home from work/gym and decided i'm gonna go all out trying to solve this....one last ditch effort!

Armed with a soft paintbrush, some tools and an air-can

Removed all ram sticks, observed them all for dust/marks/corrosion (Nothing)

Removed GPU, de-dusted (not a lot anyway), cleared surrounding areas and observed for any damage/capacitor bulge etc.

Looked over entire MOBO for bulged capacitors, dust build up or corrosion. Nope.

Then I remembered i'd read somewhere that sometimes these issues occur when cpu/socket pins are bent. Can be common with buying used CPUs...My Xeon is a used CPU...

So I removed heatsink and cooler, and observed the CPU. There isn't even pins on this CPU....there are, however, pins in the 1366 socket on my mobo. OH, look at that, some dodgy looking areas!

2 pins were very slightly bent/flattened, and one pin was more considerably bent, pretty much so it's head was UNDER the pin next to it. This can't be healthy....God knows how it happened!

So spent a bit of time delicately moving the pins back into place the best I could using a precision screwdriver and a sewing needle/pin. Checked all others and the matrix/grid of pinheads was looking great.

Re-assembled all.

Feeling hopeful.. stuck my old ram in, reset CMOS, by removing battery for about a minute (for COMPLETE cmos reset..I don't trust the rear panel button).

Booted straight into memtest, in the exact same configuration & setup as was giving me those errors this morning, and had NONE

NO errors.

I'm not saying it's sorted, I'll wait for further attempts/tests in the morning (I just wanna chill out now this evening!), but it's a good sign that a REALLY cold boot, first test (The promiseland of errors before) gave me no errors.

I'll report back with tomorrow's findings!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Bent CPU socket pins usually cause memory problem or even total blackout, but since you haven't changed anything with the CPU they were the last to be suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post

Bent CPU socket pins usually cause memory problem or even total blackout, but since you haven't changed anything with the CPU they were the last to be suspected.
    This Xeon has only been installed for about 3 months....so kinda new! Maybe with 6gb ram it wasn't enough to cause issues in windows, but memtest would've shown issues if i'd looked. 6 sticks just must've tipped it over the edge to the point windows was dieing!

Spoke too soon.

6 sticks still won't pass without errors. Tried SO many settings and tweaks and it's just not happening. 4 sticks and even 5 sticks is fine. No errors. But add the 6th and they come flying in! I've pushed my QPI up to 1.44 (don't wanna go higher really) and my Dram to 1.68v, and i've also tried lower 'normal' voltages. The higher qpi helped, but not enough to eradicate errors altogether.

The most stable and error free i've had 12gb (6 sticks) is at 1066 at 10-10-10-24, and even then I had a couple of errors after a 10 minute test.

I think im giving up!!

Looks like I can get a decent price for these on ebay, and im 100% sure the sticks aren't faulty at all, my Mobo & Xeon setup just obviously can't handle juggling so many sticks. 2x8gb here I come?

8GB modules were not available when this board/CPU came out and those that are sold are normally targeted for new boards.
    Not sure how 5 sticks would work, 3 at triple channel and 2 in dual or 4 dual and one single. Some sort of flex mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    8GB modules were not available when this board/CPU came out and those that are sold are normally targeted for new boards.
    Not sure how 5 sticks would work, 3 at triple channel and 2 in dual or 4 dual and one single. Some sort of flex mode.
    Yep, it says triple channel in memtest when i've got 1,2,3,4 and 5 occupied. So im guessing theres some flexible thing going on. It won't boot when at all when theres a slot in 6 but not in 5. Says it can't count DRAM.

Sorry, so are you saying you don't think 8gb modules will work in my board? I'll do some searching around to see what larger module sticks people have in my board and just go with one of those probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks View Post
    Sorry, so are you saying you don't think 8gb modules will work in my board? I'll do some searching around to see what larger module sticks people have in my board and just go with one of those probably.
    Yes, it may not work, I've seen already one thread on this forum that had problems with 2x8GB.

OK i'll take a look and find out more. Thanks a lot for your help and patience with this issue. Such a shame I can't fix it, but oh well, I can sell, buy others and possibly even have some spare by the look of existing ebay posts!

Thanks again!

Took the plunge (and slight gamble as I wasn't sure about compatibility) on some hyperx Savage.

X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE-u4ovzw5-png

Running absolutely fine, 2x8gb dimms at 1600mhz (or as near as poss).

Just incase anyone else is wondering :)

Thanks for all your help Chike! Now I'm struggling trying to bloody sell the 6 sticks ! Noone wants triple channel nowadays haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks View Post
    Thanks for all your help Chike! Now I'm struggling trying to bloody sell the 6 sticks ! Noone wants triple channel nowadays haha!
    Sell them as Dual channel + 1 free single channel LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information