Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Megatonks is offline Junior Member

Default X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Hi guys,

I've been using a couple of existing threads on here to try and solve my problems, but sadly to no avail, so here I am making my own post to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

I've done a reasonable amount of OCing in the past, so i'm fairly savvy with what needs changing etc, but this is infuriating me now,

I recently got hold of 12gb of mushkin ram for cheap at work. I ran a memtest on all 6 sticks (not individually) for 24 hours before buying and there were no errors at all.

12gb of Mushkin RAM (product code 998946) PC3-12800 9-9-9-24.

It's 6 sticks of 2GB (2 sets of matching 3).

Prior to this RAM, I had 6gb of Corsair XMS3 and it was as stable as a rock, even with a hefty overclock to 4.1 on my Xeon X5650 (Beast of a cpu, best 40 upgrade ever).

Now, however, i CANNOT get this 12gb mushkin stable. Sometimes it doesn't post properly and resets CMOS to default before continuing, sometimes it gets to windows 8.1 loading and blue screens (memory_management usually), then the next time that incredibly annoying windows repair menu launches (and is useless as none of it seems to work), sometimes even that menu crashes and resets...but here's the thing, sometimes it will just WORK!

These varying occurences can happen without changing any settings in between at all. Once windows boots up it's solid. No slowdowns, all 12gb recognised by windows and CPU-Z. Gaming for hours, Movie watching for hours, installing and uninstalling, virus scanning, and using PLEX to stream. It was most recently on and solid for 3 days non-stop. Reset it when I got back home to it, and now it's buggered again...NO SETTING CHANGED.

The first thing I did was remove my CPU OC, as the timings were all pretty high and specific to my previous set of RAM. Optimized defaults tried...crashed at windows load, fail-safe defaults....same, crashed on windows boot

I then upped my DRAM voltage to 1.66 as per a lot of recommendations, then upped my CPI/VVT to manage the extra ram, and this seems to have a sweet-spot around 1.4 (where I most recently had it stable). I've tried with XMP on, and XMP off. I've tried with Turbo,standard and extreme. I've gone through so many variations of settings that SHOULD work, but nothing seems stable.

I'm not certain that it isn't a hardware issue, but the fact that when it DOES boot, it performs flawlessly and is stable for days makes me think the RAM is fine, it's just some settings that aren't managing to load windows comfortably.

It's so tricky to pinpoint the issue for me, as there seems to be no patterns to break down. The blue screen 75% of the time seems to be when the windows desktop should appear once loaded. I've already had to system restore once because this crash (At that vital time during windows loading) screwed with my registry/drivers and gave me this freaky flickering desktop causing recurring hardware issue.

I'm hoping someone here could shine some light on what 'DOES WORK' ie, don't touch it, it won't cause these issues, what i should be changing, or maybe you can spot something between my hardware that just outright isn't compatible?

Thanks SO MUCH in advance for your extra knowledge, I've already learn't a lot from lurking here!

Maybe i'm not destined to use 12gb ram via 6 sticks. Sigh </3

Default Re: X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 & Xeon X5650 & Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE

Wow... ****ty nobody has replied in 6 days.... what happens if you only run one kit?

When in blue screens what is the error?

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    Wow... ****ty nobody has replied in 6 days.... what happens if you only run one kit?

When in blue screens what is the error?

Vin
    Hi there,

Sorry for my own slow response, still having PC issues and still haven't 100% solved it!

I've since ran memtest86+ on sticks individually for at least 7 hours each (10+ passes minimum) and only one had errors. I re-tested this same one a few days later and it went for a whole 24+ hours without an error. VERY confusing?! How could this be? These tests were on a spare PC. My next step is to memtest them on this same PC

I'm still getting blue-screens on windows launch, but as before, once it's been up and running for a while it's all good, until I cold boot again.

It's ALWAYS a cold boot where the issues occur.

I'd like to add i'm not even using 6 sticks at the moments. I'm only using 3. Once i've got these figured out and stable, then i'll advance onto the extra 3 sticks!

I recently reset CMOS, and at default settings it was blue screening every time....SO i jumped into BIOS, dropped the RAM speed to 1066 (8x SPD), and upped the Voltage to 1.6 (even thought it's rated at 1.5v 9-9-9-24?) and bumped the QPI a little. Turbo enhancement, XMP Disabled, and it then booted straight away without an issue.

I'm getting a mixture of BSOD codes. Here's a screenshot of my viewer...

Referencing this - forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/43058-bsod-error-codes.html

It seems it's voltage/setting issues, of the RAM sticks are faulty. If they're faulty then suurely memtest would find errors?

I'm borderline giving up with this :(

Is there a way I can show you guys my BIOS settings for you to spot and definite no-no's I may have overlooked?

Thanks a bunch
    Attached Images Attached Images X58A-UD3R rev 1.0 &amp; Xeon X5650 &amp; Mushkin 12gb pc3-12800 - UNSTABLE-9heugss-png 

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks View Post
    I'd like to add i'm not even using 6 sticks at the moments. I'm only using 3. Once i've got these figured out and stable, then i'll advance onto the extra 3 sticks!

I recently reset CMOS, and at default settings it was blue screening every time....SO i jumped into BIOS, dropped the RAM speed to 1066 (8x SPD), and upped the Voltage to 1.6 (even thought it's rated at 1.5v 9-9-9-24?) and bumped the QPI a little. Turbo enhancement, XMP Disabled, and it then booted straight away without an issue.

I'm getting a mixture of BSOD codes. Here's a screenshot of my viewer...
    BSODs still with only 3 sticks? Are they installed in 3 channel mode?
    Do you still have the old RAM ?

Do you have a picture of where you installed the RAM (slots). I'm wondering if a pin in the slot got damaged? also are all the connection points on the ram sticks OK?

Looking at those faults, they are memory related. I remember 1A and 3B when testing tight memory timings.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes i've still got the old RAM, (tempted to test again), and yes, i'm getting these errors with just the 3 sticks now. It's a nightmare!

I just ran a memtest 86+ for 7 hours overnight with 6 passes (6 and a half) and no errors... that was with these 3 sticks in. All find and dandy.

Will memtest detect RAM errors if they're not directly caused by RAM faults? eg... if BIOS settings aren't suitable and cause errors etc?

The sticks are installed in 3 channel mode, the white slots, as per the mobo manual :) Slots 1, 3 and 5.

Booted fine again this morning (although it was on all night doing memtest, so technically not a cold boot).

Here's a SS of HW Monitor and CPU-z on my pc right now...

http://i.imgur.com/wZQxp2Z.png

(won't embed, too large)

Would damaged pins in the slots be something i'd be able to see do you think? although the old RAM has been fine! hmmm

Hypothetically, what will I need to change when adding the other 3 sticks to try 12 gb again? Just DRAM Voltage (maybe) and the QPI? I took the QPI fairly high last time and it didn't achieve stability...but maybe there was something else going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks View Post
    Yes i've still got the old RAM, (tempted to test again)
    Yeah that was the idea, just to make sure this still works.
    Suppose you first boot until post/BIOS/boot menu, and then reboot would there be errors? I mean how long should it be between cold and warm boot, or does windows have to load before warm boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatonks
    I just ran a memtest 86+ for 7 hours overnight with 6 passes (6 and a half) and no errors... that was with these 3 sticks in. All find and dandy.

Will memtest detect RAM errors if they're not directly caused by RAM faults? eg... if BIOS settings aren't suitable and cause errors etc?
    Sometimes it might.
    I haven't used Memtest86+ for quite long time, does it have multi CPUs option? Memtest (without the +) does, it may be more like what the OS.

(won't embed, too large)
    You can run multiple CPU-Z instances, put the tight next to each other and HWMonitor, launch Snipping Tool, select the area you want and snip, save, open with Paint clear background if any, save, and there you have a much smaller image.

Would damaged pins in the slots be something i'd be able to see do you think? although the old RAM has been fine! hmmm
    Would damaged pins pass Memtest86+ or will they be fixed with warm boot?
    If it has anything to do with the pins, human eye won't be able to see it.

Hypothetically, what will I need to change when adding the other 3 sticks to try 12 gb again? Just DRAM Voltage (maybe) and the QPI? I took the QPI fairly high last time and it didn't achieve stability...but maybe there was something else going on.
    QPI likely and maybe DRAM Voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Yeah that was the idea, just to make sure this still works.
    Suppose you first boot until post/BIOS/boot menu, and then reboot would there be errors? I mean how long should it be between cold and warm boot, or does windows have to load before warm boot?

Sometimes it might.
    I haven't used Memtest86+ for quite long time, does it have multi CPUs option? Memtest (without the +) does, it may be more like what the OS.

You can run multiple CPU-Z instances, put the tight next to each other and HWMonitor, launch Snipping Tool, select the area you want and snip, save, open with Paint clear background if any, save, and there you have a much smaller image.

Would damaged pins pass Memtest86+ or will they be fixed with warm boot?
    If it has anything to do with the pins, human eye won't be able to see it.

QPI likely and maybe DRAM Voltage.
    Usually if it's a cold boot it can get to windows log-in screen. If I immediately go ahead and try to use it, it'll BSOD (sometimes it BSOD anyway, but then i repeat and try again until it sits patiently) so I don't touch it for 30mins or so until it's 'warmed up' so to speak, then it doesn't BSOD on me. Very bizarre. Maybe it's a coincidence or placebo, but it does seem to make a difference!

My rig posts and gets to windows loading absolutely fine every time, just at windows loading stages i'm getting issues.

Thanks for CPU-Z tips, didn't know you could launch multiple instances!

Memtest86+, from what i've read, is the best one to use, so i imagine it covers all bases? The configuration menu in memtest is mostly gobbledygook for me so I just let it do it's thing.

I'm currently using F7L BIOS for my mobo. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=3305#bios.

Should I try the newer one (beta?) or roll back to the previous non-beta? Seems strange it's such an old beta without being confirmed as stable.

I'll try adding the extra sticks one-by-one tonight to see at what point it gives up. I'll slowly raise QPI to try encouraging it!

So maybe it is physical contact issue, maybe 0.01 mm in module thickness makes a difference.
    If you turn the PC off after being on for a while and then cold boot right away will it behave like warm boot?
    Try four modules in slots 1,2 3, 4. Slot 5 is the only one we can try to eliminate unless 2, 4, 6 configuration is possible.
    Doesn't look like BIOS issue the way you describe it, I would test old RAMS first.
    Does Memtest give error when cold booted, and if it does, what addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    So maybe it is physical contact issue, maybe 0.01 mm in module thickness makes a difference.
    If you turn the PC off after being on for a while and then cold boot right away will it behave like warm boot?
    Try four modules in slots 1,2 3, 4. Slot 5 is the only one we can try to eliminate unless 2, 4, 6 configuration is possible.
    Doesn't look like BIOS issue the way you describe it, I would test old RAMS first.
    Does Memtest give error when cold booted, and if it does, what addresses?
    Perhaps! Sigh.

Yes, I can shutdown my pc after being on for a while, then it'll boot back on A-OK with no issues. It's as if it physically being warm helps somehow haha?!

Hmmm... memtest on cold boot.... I'll do that next time I do some tests! Make's sense I guess. Although up until now I've figured 'If the ram's faulty, it's faulty..."

Just for the record, when I refer to 'cold boot', and I could be using the term wrong here, I mean when it's been off for a while and physically at room temperature again (most likely).

I think my motherboard's manual is fairly strict with which slots to use with different amounts of sticks.

If I were to use 5 sticks, which slots would I use? 1,2,3,4,5? Would it then only run in single-channel? To be fair, i'm not that bothered by single/dual/triple... apparently there's such a small difference in 95% of uses.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information