Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z97X-SLI trouble booting from SSD

lilrayray69 is offline Junior Member

Angry Z97X-SLI trouble booting from SSD

So I got this new system including the S97X-SLI and I installed Windows 7 on the Samsung Evo 840 120gb SSD. At some point, and I don't know what triggered it, when I restarted it simply would not boot from the SSD. I would see the mobo splash screen, can enter BIOS if I want, but past that it just restarts itself. If I try to force boot from the SSD, it just restarts itself.

I do have an HDD attached, though I've tried various settings with and without the HDD (or even DVD drive) connected. Nothing changes.

I have tried every setting I can think of regarding legacy drivers, boot priority, etc. The only option for now I can see is to reinstall Win 7 onto the SSD via the recovery DVD. If I boot the DVD via UEFI it will not install to the SSD, saying it is the improper partition type. I have to boot from the DVD drive directly in order for it to recognize the win7 installation and let me overwrite it.

However, I can only assume this will just happen again so reinstalling Win7 seems like a temporary workaround at best.

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z97X-SLI trouble booting from SSD

First thing I would disconnect all SATA cables but the one to the SSD, and I would make sure you have it plugged into the SATA_0. It could be the boot order just got confused in the BIOS.

If that doesn't work and you insist on a Windows UEFI install, the easiest way I've found is by using a USB stick. For this you would need the Windows ISO and a utility such as Rufus to place the ISO on the USB stick. Even in this case you might need to boot with the DVD and use DISKPART to "clean" the disk first. I've had better luck this way by letting Windows install create the partitions needed for the UEFI.

At any rate this has always worked for me.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

lilrayray69 is offline Junior Member

Well I did a reformat from the DVD, all is good for now but my hunch is if any drives get disconnected/reconnected or any major settings change, it will likely do it again....If it does, should I go for a UEFI install?

I tried it the 1st time via a USB i made wth Rufus installation but couldn't get it to work. Don't remember the error exactly now. But I ended up having to use the DVD.

If it does happen again, should I try for a UEFI install of Win7? Would that make any difference?
    Last edited by lilrayray69; 02-17-2015 at 10:06 PM.

boondocks is offline Senior Member

I don't see why UEFI would make any difference. Over a few months I tried both install methods and couldn't see any great benefit for me of using UEFI with Windows 7 Pro.

Sometimes it's simple things like a SATA cable not making contact all the time...I have 2 SSD's located where the cables have to bend and twist a bit and every now and then one of them loses contact. You can't even tell by looking, you have to actually push the cable into the SSD and you can see there was a very small gap. I never have that problem with HDD's.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

I also don't see a UEFI install making a difference, or perhaps you had some settings changed in the bios with regards booting, ie. legacy or UEFI. Personally, I prefer UEFI with windows 8.1, just a personal preference. I keep windows 7 installs to MBR, unless of course you are installing on a large drive with GPT format.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Thread Information