Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD AHCI vs MS AHCI IDE/SATA Controllers

tazmo8448 is offline Junior Member

Default AMD AHCI vs MS AHCI IDE/SATA Controllers

This is a long winded question so bear with me.
    After disconnecting all the other drives then going into the registry files and changing more than a few [see list]

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD [DWORD setting from 3 to 0]
    REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD
    REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdsata /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD
    REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvstor /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD
    REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvraid /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD
    REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD

changing the above from 3 to 0 then booting to BIOS and selecting AHCI mode and restarting (it wouldn't boot unless I re-set all six)
    I noticed when I went to a Samsung SSD from OEM HDD that when trying to apply the Samsung Magcian Optimization routine that the utility told me I was not in SATA III transfer mode and it could not continue the 'tweaking' as it may. Oddly my specs for this rig plainly stated that it was a 6 port SATA III (all six btw)set up. Being an HP rig it had a thing called RAIDXpert that comes set that way as the default BIOS mode as opposed to IDE or AHCI.

Now the 64 dollar question I was only able to get SATA III transfer speeds by rolling back the AMD SATA to MS Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller rather than the newer latest greatest AMD controllers. Is this normal and why wouldn't newer drivers be better?
    I have tried to update the drivers but when doing so CrystalDisk reports 3 gb speeds and so does Samsung Magician it only states you are not in SATA III. Again rolling back the driver CrystalDisk goes back to 6 gb speeds.
    Last edited by tazmo8448; 02-17-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: clairification hopefully

Thread Information