Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 - F5c BIOS

Default Re: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 - F5c BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by JakeChambers View Post
    They even told me at first that my power supply unit is too weak for my setup... :D
    it is too ridiculous to be true :/
    haha:) Well - they will not admit to anything. There must be more people out there with the same issue though? I've found some stuff related to various "Gen3" issues - it looks like its not only Gigabyte mobos having problems. One example: Poor performance after cold boot - [H]ard|Forum but theres more.

D

[QUOTE=You mentioned not installing any mobo drivers?

D[/QUOTE]

Yes, I had breadboarded up the new parts to make sure everything was working - I installed the 7950 card just to be sure the PCIE 16 slot was working ok. GPU-Z said PCIE 3.0, but I did not really use the card, so I don't know whether I will have the stutter issue when I finally finish the build. RAM replacements gets here next Wednesday. Booted up in a Windows 7 Ultimate install I cloned onto my SSD from my old PC. Worked fine, just no drivers for the specific chips on this board.

I suppose if I were to think along those lines, I would first install the latest Intel chipset drivers, then uninstall the Killer NIC drivers - they do some kind of game traffic optimization on the PCIE bus. They would be the first suspect as they do not have a great reputation anyway. Then uninstall drivers one by one and see if the issue persists.

When looking for things like this, I clone the OS drive to another SSD or HD, then install / uninstall / mess up / destroy the OS on the clone. Macrium Reflect is free, and works great for cloning.

Anyway, I will check back and see if you have a chance to explore further. At least you are ok on GEN2, no real penalty there.

Cool. Ill try getting rid of Killer drivers and see what will happen:)

EDIT: it made no difference.

Ill try fresh windows install and see if Im experiencing issues before any drivers are installed
    Last edited by morbidflorist; 03-07-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidflorist View Post
    Cool. Ill try getting rid of Killer drivers and see what will happen:)

EDIT: it made no difference.

Ill try fresh windows install and see if Im experiencing issues before any drivers are installed
    EDIT2: So without any drivers installed and PCIe set to GEN3 I got weird graphical glitches after first cold boot. There's definitely something not right

Quote Originally Posted by morbidflorist View Post
    EDIT2: So without any drivers installed and PCIe set to GEN3 I got weird graphical glitches after first cold boot. There's definitely something not right
    Well, as Sherlock Holmes said, the games afoot!

You need a second video card, so from what you've said, I guess it's off to the computer shop.

Have them boot with another video card to your driverless OS install, while the bios is set to GEN3. If artifacts go away, you will need a new video card.

If that video card works ok, then you have a bad PCIE slot, bad trace on the mobo, or a bent CPU pin.

If you are saying you get artifacts on first cold boots only, then you still need to do the troubleshooting steps above. If that problem remains with a new video card, it is a mobo problem. You could try disabling the NIC, Intel graphics, sound, other PCIE slots, etc. one by one in the bios to try and track it down. Not sure if you open a ticket with Gigabyte support if they are willing to put in the time to help identify the issue in this case. It would need to be elevated to senior technicians in any event.

Just for the record, I did not have a cold boot issue when I booted to my 7950. It is not a UEFI card. That may be one last test you can try - disable UEFI boot. A longshot I think.

I'd be interested to hear what the solution is in the end!

The most annoying thing is that all my friends are laptop users:)

Anyway - it's a weird issue. After all Gen2 works perfectly. I will try disabling NIC and switching GPU to "legacy" mode. It is running in UEFI at the moment. If that wont work Ill take my card to work and see if I can stick it to one of the spare PCs there. Local shop wanted way too much money for testing my card.

Update - disabling LAN or switching GPU to Legacy mode made no difference. I also did various CPU tests and processor seems to be fine. So its either motherboard or GPU.
    Last edited by morbidflorist; 03-09-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

I'm leaning towards this issue being motherboard related. Probably the configuration of the z97 boards and new high end cards.

I may be going off the deep end with this angle but hey, just something to think about. I only usually set Gen 2 when overclocking my SOC board, specifically when tweaking BCLK. This has mainly to do with ram overclocks. Could there be some relationship with the cold boot bug and system memory hence the need for a Gen 2 setting when that occurs?? I'm saying this because with that type of overclock, on cold boot, the board rehearses the BCLK frequency setting several times and is advisable to have a Gen 2 setting for a discrete GPU. Just a thought.

The issue may be resolved with a bios fix by Gigabyte, just let their support know.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    I'm leaning towards this issue being motherboard related. Probably the configuration of the z97 boards and new high end cards.

I may be going off the deep end with this angle but hey, just something to think about. I only usually set Gen 2 when overclocking my SOC board, specifically when tweaking BCLK. This has mainly to do with ram overclocks. Could there be some relationship with the cold boot bug and system memory hence the need for a Gen 2 setting when that occurs?? I'm saying this because with that type of overclock, on cold boot, the board rehearses the BCLK frequency setting several times and is advisable to have a Gen 2 setting for a discrete GPU. Just a thought.

The issue may be resolved with a bios fix by Gigabyte, just let their support know.
    I was thinking about it actually. I tried RAM in different slots and in single/double config but it made no difference. This is what Im using:

Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX324C11T3K2/16)

Specs:

Part Number: HX324C11T3K2/16

Specs: DDR3, 2400MHz, CL11, 1.65V, Unbuffered
    Timings: 2400MHz, 11-13-14, 1.65V; 2133MHz, 11-13-13, 1.6V

Is there anything particular I should look for in BIOS? All memory/voltages options are set to auto. I didnt touch any XMP settings etc.

thank you

D

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

If you would like to troubleshoot the ram sticks, I suggest going for ones with a lower frequency( say a 1600 mhz or even 1333 mhz). If higher, then trying out one from the gigabyte list of compatible memory modules will be a good start. I couldnt find the HyperXbeast on the list. It may be compatible but not listed. You could confirm with Gigabyte support. However, the timings and voltage you reported are well within spec for the Modules so I really wouldn't advise any changes or Overclocks in order not to introduce more debug hurdles. No need to stress up on it, the ram may not be the issue at all.

Easier still would be if @dewot or @Jakechambers could provide you with info on their ram settings that seems to be working for them. This is just so you have an idea of what comparable frequencies seem to be okay. I seem to have read about this issue more than once, and I'm quite certain Gigabyte is aware of this on the z97x Gaming-5 boards.
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 03-12-2015 at 04:48 AM.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information