Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 - F5c BIOS

Default Re: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 - F5c BIOS

Oh man you are absolutely right! All I had to do is switch X.M.P Profile 1 ON in BIOS. This bumped RAM voltage and timings up and now my GPU works in "proper" PCIe 3.0 Gen3 mode. I dont understand why though :) Profile 1 use those settings: DDR3-2400 CL11-13-14 @1.65V, Why this would affect PCIe and GPU? Bloody hell. After all those years spent in the Apple world I have so much to learn that its scary!

Anyway - thank you so much!

JakeChambers is offline Junior Member

I am already using XMP Profile 1 on my RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't help and also underclocking the RAM did not help either.
    I will try you ram settings...

edit: changing the voltage and latencies did not help... back to PCIE-2.0
    Last edited by JakeChambers; 03-13-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeChambers View Post
    I am already using XMP Profile 1 on my RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't help and also underclocking the RAM did not help either.
    I will try you ram settings...

edit: changing the voltage and latencies did not help... back to PCIE-2.0
    In my case RAM is now running at the highest official specs - 2400MHz, 1.65V. Maybe see if you can set it in BIOS so it reflects yours?

Apart from that I've also updated BIOS to latest beta.

EDIT: I also have "UEFI" everything including Windows 8.1 install. Secure Boot On and latest chipset drivers straight from Intels website. Thats pretty much it.

After couple of days everything is still fine. My GPU works harder though - Its a bit hotter than when running it as "Gen2". I borrowed different GPU anyway just to see what will happen - it was 750Ti and it was running in "full" PCI 3.0, Gen3 mode without any modifications. So this issue seems to be related to particular GPU/RAM combination.

I still dont understand why RAM settings would affect PCI though.
    Last edited by morbidflorist; 03-13-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

There are memory controllers( basically, most pc motherboards) associated with the z97 chipset that do some housekeeping with data bandwidth allocations. PCI express is basically a high speed highway used for connection to devices that require/utilize that level of speed and 3.0 provides more data throughput than 2.0.

[IMG][/IMG]

So, in simple terms there is mem controller regulating all that high speed data running along the PCI express bus lanes, and the data going to and from the ram as well keeping the pc balanced. Hence the importance of compatibility and proper settings of those devices attached to keep your machine working efficiently. I guess ram frequency settings would impact an integrated card the most since obviously, it shares the system memory directly.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 - F5c BIOS-002_z97g3_diagram_554x627-jpg 
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 03-13-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

It all makes sense now. Thank you

Oh f...ck... gigacrap still with this bug? I reported this since giga z77 boards. And the problem is still there.

It's more difficult to reproduce on nvidia cards now.

They know about the problem. Cause on older bios and amd gpu (with other triggers that we are not still sure what may be) there was a 50-50 chance to get a underperforming lagging system (3d mark will report half of the normal score)

On newer bios you need to be unlucky enough to get the specific hardware combo that trigger this problem (nobody knows exactly).

I think I found a fix to the issue with the pcie gen 3 issue. I currently have a R9 290x which was forced to operate under gen 2 until I turned up
    the CPU System Agent by +.100 (!)
    CPU Ring Increase +.200 (!)
    Edit: Little more testing.....Ram O/C .... Memory must stay above 2200Mhz .........Increased voltage 1.6-1.9V (Caution)

Mobo: Z97mx gaming 5 .......F7b bios
    Last edited by Evermorexy; 03-28-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information