Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong model in BIOS and MOBO

Default Wrong model in BIOS and MOBO

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks you for having such a good forum and support!

I'm trying to solve my problems since last week, and until now I couldn't. Let's go:

1) I never flashed a BIOS in this MOBO. Just to be very clear, it's factory default.

2) I have a GA-Z87MX-D3H, as it is written IN THE MOBO, but the BIOS tells me that is a GA-Z87M-D3H... Lacking a "X" (lol).

3) I just CAN'T flash BIOS for a correct version. Tried Q-Flash, no good, says that the size is incorrect, and yes it is, since the BIOS for Z87M-D3H is half the size of the BIOS for Z87MX-D3H. And also tried Efiflash.exe with a bootable thumb drive i made with Rufus. Then it says "BIOS ID Mismatch".

Help please!

I just want to upgrade it because of problems with ethernet with Hackintosh, random freezes, and it's really messing with my studio, where I use this computer, professionally.

Images at the links:

http://s27.postimg.org/ympoopx2b/123bb.jpg
    http://s27.postimg.org/n935dimjn/124a.jpg
    http://s27.postimg.org/ynzmi4yw3/image.jpg

Thanks very much in advance!

Gui
    Attached Images Attached Images Wrong model in BIOS and MOBO-124a-jpg 

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Wrong model in BIOS and MOBO

I see what you're talking about with the BIOS sizes...
    All I can suggest is either bite the bullet and try to flash the GA-Z87M-D3H BIOS or (probably better)
    contact Gigabyte support and explain the problem.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Chike is offline Senior Member

What is the backup BIOS version?

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Yes, Checking the version of the backup bios is a good place to start. If it is also z87m, I suggest you could try updating that bios version with the main bios only. I trust what the bios reports better than what the board says in your case. if the backup is z87mx, why not see if you can copy it over to the main bios( Bios recovery process).

You could install windows on a separate drive and use Gigabyte tools in windows to see if it works any better or downloads the correct bios version for you as a last resort.

The main differences between the two boards are the display ports and usb2.0/3.0 configs. The z87m does not have a display port. Since your Bios seems to say z87m, is your display port working Okay on the z87mx board??? If it is, then worst case scenario, update main bios only with z87m as suggested to see if it will take. But as always, take care when working with the bios.
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 05-02-2015 at 03:20 AM.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

parsec is offline Senior Member

According to the specs page for each of these boards, each uses a different size CMOS BIOS chip.

The GA-Z87M-D3H uses a 64Mbit flash chip for each of the dual BIOS chips, and the GA-Z87MX-D3H uses 128Mbit flash chips. That of course explains the BIOS file size and size mismatch problem. I doubt the GA-Z87M-D3H 64Mbit sized BIOS file would ever work in the GA-Z87MX-D3H.

The listing of "GA-Z87M-D3H" in the BIOS of the GA-Z87MX-D3H is just a mistake or sloppy QC on the BIOS files.

Three of the BIOS updates for each of these board have identical dates and descriptions, although the BIOS version codes are different.

IMO, I would stick with the BIOS files from the GA-Z87MX-D3H but only because of the size match.

The difference in the size of the BIOS .zip files is 0.1MiB (100KiB) larger for the GA-Z87MX-D3H for the three BIOS updates that match dates and descriptions, while the unzipped file is 8MiB larger in size. That tell me that the extra 8MiB is not being used for anything and can be compressed into 0.1MiB of space. So the larger CMOS chips on the GA-Z87MX-D3H are used because "bigger is better", appearance wise, but otherwise seems to do nothing else.

GA-Z87M-D3H BIOS downloads:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87M-D3H (rev. 1.x)

GA-Z87MX-D3H BIOS downloads:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87MX-D3H (rev. 1.x)

I agree it would be interesting to see what the version of the backup BIOS is, and if it also shows GA-Z87M-D3H in the BIOS UI.

Oh.. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he tried to update the motherboard with the bios for z87mx as it is written on the motherboard and that was giving the size mismatch. Or did he try with both types and he was getting a mismatch from both the ga-z87mx and ga-87m bios.

Could be a very disastrous mistake on Gigabyte's part if it turns out to indeed be sloppy QC from the factory.

BTW, if your board is fine with the GA-Z87MX-D3H BIOS, then you certainly have to investigate the KEXT drivers you are using for the hackintosh. Maybe uninstall and reinstall the intel Gb lan drivers. I have had success with it on my z87x-ud4H and even with the killer nic 2200 on z97x-gaming 7 board. The osx was mavericks though.
    16gb RipJaws
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Guys, I'll organize the things first:

I have the MX, not M. It's written in the board MX. So at the box too.

So, the problem I'm having in the Hackintosh is about USB problem, like I can't boot with no External HDD plugged in, it freezes. So, now that you guys pointed the differences, it's very clear for me about that problem. Thanks, my assumptions were right!

@Chike, I don't know where to check the backup BIOS version, but I did forced the backup BIOS to be restored, with the reset + pwr button method. It keeps the same version (F10) from the wrong board, M, not MX.

@TicTacToe,
    I'm really thinking about installing a Windows at another HD, but i want to be sure if I can force flash a correct BIOS (for MX), F7. Is it possible with @BIOS?

@parsec, I don't believe it's just a mistake in the name. The proof is just because I can't flash a BIOS larger than the one that is inside right now, trough Q-Flash or USB Bootable Thumb Drive (EfiFlash.exe). So, with @BIOS is it possible?

@TicTacToe, Yes, you didn't misunderstand. I'm trying to flash a BIOS (F7) for the Z87MX-D3H, which is MY MOBO, as it is written on the motherboard (attachment from the first post). So, the BIOS I have now, the WRONG BIOS, for another model (M, not MX) is certainly making problems with the Hackintosh, specially about USB, as I said a few lines above. I can't boot with any external HDD plugged.

Thanks VERY MUCH everybody,

still wait for someone to help me with the process to put the right BIOS in my MOBO!

Gui

parsec is offline Senior Member

Ok, I get it now, sorry about that. Your first post describes the situation quite well, but I probably would have understood it better if you mentioned the BIOS version you have in it from the factory, the F10 version used by the GA-Z87M-D3H, of 8MiB size. But not your fault.

OMG is that screwy! The factory supplied BIOS is the smaller sized version used by the GA-Z87M-D3H, in a Z87MX-D3H board, which is also identified by the version number!

I'm sorry, but I have read about too many BIOS screw ups by Gigabyte, how that happens is just crazy.

Sorry, but I don't know if @BIOS will allow you to update to the correct size BIOS file. At this point, I would say why not try?

I also will say, how do you really know your USB and other problems are caused by the wrong BIOS, which is seemingly otherwise identical to each other? As I said earlier, the difference in the .zip file sizes is 0.01MiB, while the unzipped size difference is 8MiB.

One of the techniques of file compression is to not compress data that is repeated over and over, the same identical data that can be replicated by saving the bit pattern once, and telling the extraction program to duplicate it however many times necessary.

IMO that is what we see in this case, with the compressed F7 BIOS of the Z87MX-D3H, whose size is 5.81MiB. The F11 BIOS of the GA-Z87M-D3H, which is 8MiB in size, is compressed to 5.80MiB. Only 0.01MiB (10KiB!) of information can recreate 8MiB of data (the second 8MiB of 16MiB total) while it takes 5.80MiB of information to recreate the first 8MiB of 16MiB total.

I'm saying IMO the second 8MiB of the F7 BIOS contains nothing but binary zeros, that are compressed into 0.01MiB of space in the zip file.

Hopefully for you (if you can ever change to the F7 BIOS) the F7 BIOS will fix your USB and other problems, but I'm skeptical that it will.

parsec,

thanks very much for your help!

I really believe it's related to the BIOS problem, because I'm in tonymac forums with advanced users trying to find out what's happening with my hackintosh. Now we came to this part, BIOS. Than I noticed this problem.

And of course, I don't think everything is perfect using a BIOS from other mobo, am I wrong?!

I'll try @BIOS. But I really can't believe there's not a way to force flash in this situation!

Damn!

And you know if there's a way to recompile the BIOS to match size? Or if it is a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post

OMG is that screwy! The factory supplied BIOS is the smaller sized version used by the GA-Z87M-D3H, in a Z87MX-D3H board, which is also identified by the version number!

I'm sorry, but I have read about too many BIOS screw ups by Gigabyte, how that happens is just crazy.
    I would think of warranty and RMA if this is the case. Contact Gigabyte and let them know what they did. I do agree though, the differences in the two boards are not the great. I wouldn't sleep well with such a situation though( unfortunately, I get very picky about such bios errors).

@ elitaozao, I really can't guarantee from within Windows, @bios would go for the MX(F7) Bios. I think it may get the M(F11) bios as the board will be reporting to it from the existing bios. But, it is all part of trouble shooting, so you can still give it a try.

You can find out what backup bios you have if you set the switch on the motherboard to single bios boot mode( not dual bios boot) and secondly, select the switch to boot from the backup bios. So your system starts up with the backup bios and you can go into set up and see what it says. You can tell from the motherboard if the backup bios light is lit or the mbios( main bios).

It may be safer if Gigabyte does the Bios recompile. I'm thinking it may be more than just a simple mod, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 05-03-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    16gb RipJaws
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information