Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

Default Re: Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Sometimes there can be a problem with the motherboard installed in the computer case, such as a short circuit or a motherboard stand-off problem.

Remove the motherboard from the case, and place it on a large book or cardboard box beside your computer case.
    Never power on your motherboard with an anti-static bag under the motherboard!!

Test your system with a minimal hardware setup where your only goal is to get into the bios.
    Double check that any front panel wires are properly connected to the motherboard.

I always build and test my systems this way before I connect hard drives and other hardware.

Sometimes the problem is near the rear I/O panel or with a "misplaced" motherboard stand-off.

In one thread with a similar problem, the OP accidentally connected the case's front panel usb 3.0 cable bass-ackwards in the motherboard's socket and his system was finally able to post and boot after the usb 3.0 cable was disconnected from the motherboard.

BTW, if you had been able to force the 6-pin pci-e power cable into the 8-pin EPS_12v motherboard connector, you would have had a MAJOR SHORT CIRCUIT that might have caused serious damage.
    I did that, I took out the motherboard and placed it on its box, and then install one memory stick, the CPU, and connected the power supply and a power switch to turn on the system. Again nothing happen, but only with clicking the OC_IGNITION button.
    I did not force the 6-pin pci-e power cable into the 8-pin EPS_12v motherboard connector. My question was I has three types of connectors on the motherboard, the 24 Pin, 8 Pin, and 4 Pin connectors. Since my PSU only has 24 Pin and 8 Pin cables, I was wondering if the 4 Pin is essential to turn on the system; but as I understand connecting only the 24 Pin and 8 Pin is enough and system should started.
    I only tried once to fit the 6 Pin PCI-E connector in the 4 Pin motherboard connector but did not fit in both direction (Power was off when I tried that).

I cannot really understand the possible source of the problem. If the motherboard is damaged, then why clicking the OC_IGNITION button (i.e. Powers fans and drives without booting or powering the CPU) worked. If the problem is due to BIOS compatibility with the i7-4790, then the i5-4570 should work fine. At least, after I reset the BIOS / Clear CMOS. The image I attached earlier of the CPU socket do not showed any broken or bent pins in the socket. And if problem is with the RAM, then switching to other sockets or changing the combinations, should solved the problem.
    I really do not understand the situation....

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I looked the Z87X-OC Force motherboard manual that describes the connectors and it is poorly written.
    You must connect the 24-pin power cable and also connect the 4-pin ATX_12V cable or the 8-pin EPS12V power cable.
    If there is a problem with your power supply's 12 volt rail, your computer can't start.

In the first post you said "I have also tested the motherboard with new Power supply unit" but that apparently did not help. Do you know for sure that the new power supply is working. It's possible that a brand new power supply is faulty.

I have an Asus P45 motherboard that refuses to post and the attached motherboard speaker is silent. If I try booting with no memory installed, the speaker beeps with the sound pattern that means that there is a memory error so I know that my board isn't completely dead.

If the 3.0 volt motherboard battery is too low, that might be part of the problem. Sometimes a "new" motherboard battery is bad and won't let your system post or boot. One forum member recently posted that he had to replace a bad mobo battery in a motherboard that was only 6 months old.

I'm a bit bothered by the descriptions in the bios web page. Years ago the oldest bios version would say "initial release" even when the "first" bios version was higher than F1. It looks like F7 is the earliest bios version but it's description includes "Increased compatibility".

Check out GIGABYTE - Mainboard, Grafikkarte, Notebook, Tablet, Server, PC-Peripheriegeräte und mehr to get warranty information.
    The warranty might start from the motherboard's manufacture date and looks like it is for two years: GIGABYTE - Unterstützung - Informationen zur Garantie
    The month and year of manufacture might still be part of your board's serial number where the first four digits represent the year (YY) and week of the year (WW).
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Chike is offline Senior Member

Nothing on the debug LEDs at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Nothing on the debug LEDs at all?
    No, Nothing al all

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Quote Originally Posted by moh19814 View Post
    I cannot really understand the possible source of the problem. If the motherboard is damaged, then why clicking the OC_IGNITION button (i.e. Powers fans and drives without booting or powering the CPU) worked. If the problem is due to BIOS compatibility with the i7-4790, then the i5-4570 should work fine. At least, after I reset the BIOS / Clear CMOS. The image I attached earlier of the CPU socket do not showed any broken or bent pins in the socket. And if problem is with the RAM, then switching to other sockets or changing the combinations, should solved the problem.
    I really do not understand the situation....
    Do look into the warranty period as suggested by ProfJim, you could be still be in warranty and save yourself some headaches.

The OC -force, LN2, SOC - force boards can be a conundrum sometimes. They are beautiful boards capable of taking some serious abuse( being overclock-able) allowing you to access so many settings, but in the same logic, can be super sensitive simply because one small thing is off. Then it can give you some un necessary headache which is simple in solution. A lot of the high end modern boards have similar features to the OC ignition allowing you to power up components without actually starting up the pc. Just like some boards have capability of still USB charging devices even when shutdown. You can use the OC ignition to test if a water pump cooling system works as it should without powering up the whole pc and causing your cpu to overheat if the water pump isn't working.

When I've encountered such an issue with my Gigabyte boards, it is usually after a snow storm or rain storm or power surge in the area. Or if the pc has been running for say 3 or 4 weeks without shutting down. It starts up with all systems/fans running at full power, no debug light or code, no video output and constantly switching between backup and main bios. I usually know it's either some kind of static charge build up, voltage issue messing with the bios. I let the board discharge by unplugging from the main electrical source, clearing the CMOS and letting it sit for some time( sometimes a day).
    Since you've tried this, the warranty option is a good suggestion.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    Do look into the warranty period as suggested by ProfJim, you could be still be in warranty and save yourself some headaches.

The OC -force, LN2, SOC - force boards can be a conundrum sometimes. They are beautiful boards capable of taking some serious abuse( being overclock-able) allowing you to access so many settings, but in the same logic, can be super sensitive simply because one small thing is off. Then it can give you some un necessary headache which is simple in solution. A lot of the high end modern boards have similar features to the OC ignition allowing you to power up components without actually starting up the pc. Just like some boards have capability of still USB charging devices even when shutdown. You can use the OC ignition to test if a water pump cooling system works as it should without powering up the whole pc and causing your cpu to overheat if the water pump isn't working.

When I've encountered such an issue with my Gigabyte boards, it is usually after a snow storm or rain storm or power surge in the area. Or if the pc has been running for say 3 or 4 weeks without shutting down. It starts up with all systems/fans running at full power, no debug light or code, no video output and constantly switching between backup and main bios. I usually know it's either some kind of static charge build up, voltage issue messing with the bios. I let the board discharge by unplugging from the main electrical source, clearing the CMOS and letting it sit for some time( sometimes a day).
    Since you've tried this, the warranty option is a good suggestion.
    Thanks all for the information and support. I tried contact Gigabyte regarding the warranty option (here in Germany), but they said without an invoice they do not give any warranty. I only have the option to send it for repair and pay the cost by myself. Their technical support assistant estimated the cost to be around 100 Euro. Unfortunately, I used up all my budget buying the components to build the PC, and also for 100 Euro, I think I can buy another Motherboard, maybe not a high-end one, but at least a working one.

Any last suggestions to try / test before make my mind and put the motherboard to rest.
    Thanks

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

You might want to sit down with your favorite lager and just look over what has been done so far and eliminate all unnecessary stuff. I usually like a cup of cappuccino. Leave the i7 4790 be for now since the bios may not be ready for it, and troubleshoot the board from now on outside the case on a static free box or similar. Add the components one at a time, maybe with some other 1st Gen haswell, powering it up only with the onboard power on switch and who knows . Change the motherboard battery if you haven't already.

At 100 Euros you could find a decent board since you have no interest in overclocking. Shame about the board not starting up, but it happens to the best of us.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information