Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

Default Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

Hallo everyone,
    I really need your help, I spent the whole last two days trying to find the problem but I coud not.
    I am building my first PC, as following:

CPU: i7-4790
    MB: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force
    PSU: Corsair CS550M
    RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600 Mhz.
    Case: Corsair Carbide 300R.

I connect everything according to instruction but the PC does not start, and I am not sure what the problem is. I check the Power Switch on the front panel of my case but I could not find any problem with it. I also checked all other connections and switches but everything looks fine. I could only think of the following reasons:

According to Gigabyte instructions, there are three power connectors on the motherboard: ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin); ATX_12V (4 Pin); and ATX (24 Pin). From my corsair PSU, I only have the ATX and the ATX_12V_2X4 connectors, which I connect accordingly. I am missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). The only available cables have either SATA power connector or the 6 pin PCI Express power connector. I try to attach the 6 Pin cable in the ATX_12V (4 Pin) in both orientations, but it did not work at all.

Is this is the problem? Do I need both ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin) and ATX_12V (4 Pin), so my computer can start. If yes, any suggestions on how to solve that given the limited options I have from my Corsair PSU.

Note: If I use the Onboard Buttons of the motherboard, I found that, by clicking the OC Ignition button (OC_IGNITION) and then the Power button (PW_SW), the PC start, but no signal; all leds are on, all fans work including the CPU fan, but I obtain no signal from my graphic card.

I have also tested the motherboard with new Power supply unit, and also with another Intel Processor i5-4570, but still nothing.

So, I do not understand what is the problem here, If I need the second ATX_12V (4 Pin), why the motherboard worked when I clicked the onboard buttons. Is there something wrong with my motherboard?

I really need help here. I cannot return the motherboard since I got it as a present long time ago, and only now I was able to get some budget to build my first computer, but it seems I lost all the budget I have for nothing.

Please Help!!!!
    Thanks in advanced

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Default Re: Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

I hope you are aware that not all bios versions of the z87x-OC force support the Devil's Canyon( i7 4790). That is the first thing you must bear in mind when building. In that case you'll need an older compatible haswell to start with and then update the bios to probably the latest to support your i7 4790.

Since you say you tried to boot with the i5 4570, then there may be some issue with the board. Did you clear the cmos before testing with i5 4570 ? Since the board has been sitting for a long while, is the Cmos battery O.K ?
    You could also take a close look at your cpu pins, see if there are any bent pins in the socket. You could take a good picture and post here as some others do.
    It could be voltage/static issues, make sure there are no shorts coming from the case or anywhere else.

What type of ram are you using and is it compatible with the z87x-oc force from the Gigabyte website ? Have you tried with only one ram stick to trouble shoot the ram sticks ?

Personally, when running high end boards like the OC and high end i7 processors, I always give the board the full 8 pin power supply from the +12v. More important if you are running other high end video cards etc and plan on overclocking the CPU. In that case, you will have to give it all the power that is necessary. Your corsair provides 43 Amps on the +12v rail and it does support 4+4 (8 pin) 12v_ATX . The modular - the 8 pin EPS12V connector can be pulled apart for 2x - ATX_12V (4 Pin) connectivity or kept together for full 8 pin use. You are not missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). It is just half of your exisitng 8 pin EPs12v. You either use 8 pin only or 4 pin only not both. The 6 Pin cable is not meant for the CPU. It is for an external graphic card placed in the PCI express slots for extra power.

If you are using the integrated graphics which is provided by your CPU, then if your CPU is not powering up, you will not receive any video signals. OC Ignition button gives continuous, uninterrupted power to all the motherboard's connected drives and system fans, but not to the CPU (In other words, without powering the CPU). So, a faulty cpu or Cpu socket or incompatible Cpu will still not give you much. You never mentioned if you were running of the backup bios, or main bios and if the diagnostic module came on at all ???
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 05-05-2015 at 10:36 PM.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Chike is offline Senior Member

The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected,
    the computer will not start.
    Which is the 12V power connector they don't say.
    How can they make such motherboards when they cannot write a manual is a wonder.
    Try the 4 pin instead of the 4+4 see if that work.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    I hope you are aware that not all bios versions of the z87x-OC force support the Devil's Canyon( i7 4790). That is the first thing you must bear in mind when building. In that case you'll need an older compatible haswell to start with and then update the bios to probably the latest to support your i7 4790.

Since you say you tried to boot with the i5 4570, then there may be some issue with the board. Did you clear the cmos before testing with i5 4570 ? Since the board has been sitting for a long while, is the Cmos battery O.K ?
    You could also take a close look at your cpu pins, see if there are any bent pins in the socket. You could take a good picture and post here as some others do.
    It could be voltage/static issues, make sure there are no shorts coming from the case or anywhere else.

What type of ram are you using and is it compatible with the z87x-oc force from the Gigabyte website ? Have you tried with only one ram stick to trouble shoot the ram sticks ?

Personally, when running high end boards like the OC and high end i7 processors, I always give the board the full 8 pin power supply from the +12v. More important if you are running other high end video cards etc and plan on overclocking the CPU. In that case, you will have to give it all the power that is necessary. Your corsair provides 43 Amps on the +12v rail and it does support 4+4 (8 pin) 12v_ATX . The modular - the 8 pin EPS12V connector can be pulled apart for 2x - ATX_12V (4 Pin) connectivity or kept together for full 8 pin use. You are not missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). It is just half of your exisitng 8 pin EPs12v. You either use 8 pin only or 4 pin only not both. The 6 Pin cable is not meant for the CPU. It is for an external graphic card placed in the PCI express slots for extra power.

If you are using the integrated graphics which is provided by your CPU, then if your CPU is not powering up, you will not receive any video signals. OC Ignition button gives continuous, uninterrupted power to all the motherboard's connected drives and system fans, but not to the CPU (In other words, without powering the CPU). So, a faulty cpu or Cpu socket or incompatible Cpu will still not give you much. You never mentioned if you were running of the backup bios, or main bios and if the diagnostic module came on at all ???
    Thanks for the information.
    1) I was told that not all the bios version of this motherboard is compatible with the i7-4790, and that is why I tried it with the i5-4570, which I believe is compatible. I thought if it work, I can then update my bios to the BIOS ver F8, which is compatible with my CPU according to the Gigabyte website.
    2) Yes, I tried to clear the CMOS, by pressing the CMOS_Clear button on the motherboard for 7 seconds, but it did not work either.
    3) For RAM, I am using the 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz; and yes I tried the single RAM stick, but still did not work.
    4) I am not planning to overclocking my CPU and I am tested the system with both internal GPU and the Asus GTX 760 2GB, and both did not work also.
    5) I tested all my components one by one on a different PC system and all of them work fine.
    6) Regarding which BIOS, I tried to boot from both the main BIOS and the Backup one using the BIOS_SW button on the motherboard. I also tried using single or dual BIOS option.

I will test again the using a new power supply and a different RAM, but I am not sure what is the problem. I also uploded a photo of the CPU socket.

Any other suggestions.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start-dsc06759-jpg 
    Last edited by moh19814; 05-06-2015 at 12:27 AM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You haven't told us the model number for your memory.

The Corsair Memory Finder lists the following 2 x 4GB memory kits for your Z87X-OC Force motherboard:
    1. Vengeance Low Profile Blue 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
    2. Vengeance Low Profile 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
    3. XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)

If your memory is not one of these kits or if your memory kit is not in the Gigabyte Memory QVL list, your memory kit is probably not compatible with your motherboard.

Link to the Corsair Memory Finder: Memory Finder

There are 25 different Vengeance kits at Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits

**edit**
    This is a list of 12 possible 1600MHz Vengeance memory kits: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits
    Last edited by profJim; 05-06-2015 at 01:38 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You haven't told us the model number for your memory.

The Corsair Memory Finder lists the following 2 x 4GB memory kits for your Z87X-OC Force motherboard:
    1. Vengeance Low Profile Blue 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
    2. Vengeance Low Profile 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
    3. XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)

If your memory is not one of these kits or if your memory kit is not in the Gigabyte Memory QVL list, your memory kit is probably not compatible with your motherboard.

Link to the Corsair Memory Finder: Memory Finder

There are 25 different Vengeance kits at Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits

**edit**
    This is a list of 12 possible 1600MHz Vengeance memory kits: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits
    Thanks for the info. My Ram is the following:
    Vengeance

I replace them with one from samsung but still nothing.

What I did so far is the following:

1) Replace the CPU with the intel i5-4570,
    2) Rest BIOS by removing the battery and then reinsert it again,
    3) Clear CMOS using the onboard button,
    4) Use different RAM sockets / combinations (single or double) from Kingston or Corsair,
    5) Use different Power Supply, Power Switch (PC Case).
    6) Check if any of the CPU Pins and see if there are any bent pins in the socket.

So far nothing work except when using the OC Ignition button

Any suggestions.

You're welcome.

The memory kit model number that you linked to is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and this kit is not in Corsair's compatibility list for your motherboard.

Have you downloaded the GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87X-OC Force (rev. 1.x) Memory Support List to see which memory kits Gigabyte has found to be compatible with your system?

You are probably wasting your time testing with different memory kits unless one of the kits is approved by Gigabyte or Corsair for your motherboard.

From what I see in the forum, Haswell cpu's are very picky and won't boot or probably won't be stable unless you install memory kits that have been tested for compatibility with your motherboard by Gigabyte or the memory manufacturer.

If you don't believe me, contact Corsair or Gigabyte tech support and see what they say about memory that has not been found to be compatible with your cpu/motherboard setup.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

re: your CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 memory kit

Check out the first two posts in this Corair forum thread: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 compatibility for motherboard and processor - The Corsair User Forums

The OP in the thread has an AMD system and and the Ram Guy (Corsair Product Guru) says "... but these modules are made for and tested on Intel Sandy bridge ...".

If you recently bought the memory, Corsair might be willing to swap your memory kit for a kit that has been tested with your system.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You're welcome.

The memory kit model number that you linked to is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and this kit is not in Corsair's compatibility list for your motherboard.

Have you downloaded the GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87X-OC Force (rev. 1.x) Memory Support List to see which memory kits Gigabyte has found to be compatible with your system?

You are probably wasting your time testing with different memory kits unless one of the kits is approved by Gigabyte or Corsair for your motherboard.

From what I see in the forum, Haswell cpu's are very picky and won't boot or probably won't be stable unless you install memory kits that have been tested for compatibility with your motherboard by Gigabyte or the memory manufacturer.

If you don't believe me, contact Corsair or Gigabyte tech support and see what they say about memory that has not been found to be compatible with your cpu/motherboard setup.
    Thanks for the info once again. But my memory kit is compatible with the motherboard. I already confirm that with Gigabyte and also my RAM kit is on the Memory Support list, which you add in your post (second Page, No. CET16D6-C).

So, if it is not the Ram, what it could be else.
    Note: I test the RAM kit with another system to check if there is anything wrong with this kit, but everything work fine on the other PC system.

Sometimes there can be a problem with the motherboard installed in the computer case, such as a short circuit or a motherboard stand-off problem.

Remove the motherboard from the case, and place it on a large book or cardboard box beside your computer case.
    Never power on your motherboard with an anti-static bag under the motherboard!!

Test your system with a minimal hardware setup where your only goal is to get into the bios.
    Double check that any front panel wires are properly connected to the motherboard.

I always build and test my systems this way before I connect hard drives and other hardware.

Sometimes the problem is near the rear I/O panel or with a "misplaced" motherboard stand-off.

In one thread with a similar problem, the OP accidentally connected the case's front panel usb 3.0 cable bass-ackwards in the motherboard's socket and his system was finally able to post and boot after the usb 3.0 cable was disconnected from the motherboard.

BTW, if you had been able to force the 6-pin pci-e power cable into the 8-pin EPS_12v motherboard connector, you would have had a MAJOR SHORT CIRCUIT that might have caused serious damage.
    Last edited by profJim; 05-06-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information