Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Single GPU Setup Using PCIEX16_2 on Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board

Default Single GPU Setup Using PCIEX16_2 on Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board

I've been looking to upgrade my current GTX 780 Ti to the new GTX 980 Ti. The card I'm looking at is a bit taller and longer than my current card. As such, I am thinking that it will not be able to fit into the 1st PCIEX16 slot because of the size of the CPU cooler radiator (Corsair H60). The 780 Ti is already a tight fit height-wise (and that one doesn't have a backplate).

My question is - would I be able to use the 980 Ti in the 2nd x16 slot, PCIEX16_2 in a single-card setup? If I am forced to use the card in the 1st slot, the card's backplate will end up butting right up against the radiator and the coolant tubing. I don't have the tech knowledge to start messing with the CPU cooler itself (my system was custom built for me and my capabilities pretty much end at swapping easy stuff out). All the reading I've done makes me think the answer is "yes," but I just wanted to be sure before I spend the money.

I've read on Gigabyte's site that single-card setups should use the "PCIEX16" slot, but it doesn't specify _1 or _2, which leads me to believe that either would work.

Thank you!

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Default Re: Single GPU Setup Using PCIEX16_2 on Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board

It should work, the only difference may be that it will be running at x8 times bandwidth in that slot even though that slot is a PCiex16 connector. The first slot is set to run at x16 bandwidth but usually moves down to x8, if the other pciex16 slots are populated as in sli or cross fire situation. Running at x8, is still plenty power for most cards. This is the usual way in the non- high-end boards. But, the Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board is a high-end board with quad pciex16 slots.

Specifically for the Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board, I think the second and third pciex16 slots share a x16 bandwidth. So if only one of either slot is populated the card should still get it's x16 bandwidth to itself. The fourth slot is x8 bandwidth. I will say it should be fine to put the card there.

ps. For slots 2 and 3 with shared x16, if you want the full x16 bandwidth you have to use the 3rd slot, not the 2nd one .
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 06-15-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: info on slot 3
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    It should work, the only difference may be that it will be running at x8 times bandwidth in that slot even though that slot is a PCiex16 connector. The first slot is set to run at x16 bandwidth but usually moves down to x8, if the other pciex16 slots are populated as in sli or cross fire situation. Running at x8, is still plenty power for most cards. This is the usual way in the non- high-end boards. But, the Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board is a high-end board with quad pciex16 slots.

Specifically for the Gigabyte X79-UP4 Board, I think the second and third pciex16 slots share a x16 bandwidth. So if only one of either slot is populated the card should still get it's x16 bandwidth to itself. The fourth slot is x8 bandwidth. I will say it should be fine to put the card there.

ps. For slots 2 and 3 with shared x16, if you want the full x16 bandwidth you have to use the 3rd slot, not the 2nd one .
    Thank you! I assume by "3rd slot" you mean the one labelled PCIEX16_2? Physcially it's the 3rd PCIEX slot, but the 2nd slot is clearly labelled PCIEX8_1 so I wasn't even considering that one.

Again, thank you!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Thank you, though that doesn't exactly answer my question. If use use just PCIEX16_2, will the GPU get the same performance as PCIEX16_1? I know I can just test this by moving my current 780 Ti, however I always seem to have problems with the clips and I'd rather not risk breaking them to move the GPU just to test.

I can't imagine I'm the only one out there with a ginormous CPU cooler. In my case it's the radiator that's huge.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

The simple and short answer is Yes it will. In the PCIEX16.2 slot it will work the same way. It is the same thing. As long as you know that the new graphics card will have an adequate power supply from your PSU, it should work perfectly. The PSU is usually the bottle neckin your type of setup. Maybe it might even work better because moving it may give it a better airflow cooling so lower temps all round. Good luck with the purchase and just take care with clips especially the ones at the tail end. Should be easy.

You could also check for bios updates in case you have issues when you do install it for say, compatibility issues or such. I don't think you should have any problems though.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    The simple and short answer is Yes it will. In the PCIEX16.2 slot it will work the same way. It is the same thing. As long as you know that the new graphics card will have an adequate power supply from your PSU, it should work perfectly. The PSU is usually the bottle neckin your type of setup. Maybe it might even work better because moving it may give it a better airflow cooling so lower temps all round. Good luck with the purchase and just take care with clips especially the ones at the tail end. Should be easy.

You could also check for bios updates in case you have issues when you do install it for say, compatibility issues or such. I don't think you should have any problems though.
    Thank you! I have an EVGA SuperNOVA 750B semi-modular split-rail PSU which has been powering the 780 Ti just fine. I have the GPU powered across two rails and it's been very stable. I'd imagine the 980 Ti would be fine on it as well as I've read that the 780 Ti was a very power hungry GPU to begin with.

Hopefully I won't need a BIOS update. I'm not changing out anything except the GPU so I don't imagine needing one and my system isn't that old to begin with. Frankly the thought of updating the BIOS scares the bajeezus out of me. I read "if it 'ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to those so I haven't touched it. I've been lucky in that I haven't had a single problem with my setup since I got it. I just want to upgrade the GPU since I've gotten into screenarchery and I want to start gaming at resolutions higher than 1080p.

My current system:
    Intel i7 4820k @ 3.7GHz w/ Corsair H60 cooler
    Gigabyte X79-UP4 mobo
    EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ ACX Cooler (soon to be ordering the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming GPU as soon as it's available)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750B PSU
    Win 8.1 64bit

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaGT View Post
    Thank you, though that doesn't exactly answer my question. If use use just PCIEX16_2, will the GPU get the same performance as PCIEX16_1?
    It does, and not only if you use PCIEX16_2, but if you use PCIEX8 slot performance would be about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    It does, and not only if you use PCIEX16_2, but if you use PCIEX8 slot performance would be about the same.
    That article stated that performance would be about the same, but varies depending on the game (some had no noticeable difference while others were heavily hit). It intimated that console ports would likely be the most negatively impacted. Some of the games I play are console ports (Dragon Age: Inquisition comes to mind). If I'm dropping $700 on a new GPU I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it, especially if I want to start gaming at higher resolutions than 1080p.

Either way, thank you for the information! I will move forward with ordering the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 when it becomes available.

Hello! I just wanted to report that I did end up getting a GTX 980 Ti. It does work perfectly in the PCIEX16_2 slot, at full 16x speed. The mobo picked the card up without any tweaking.

Thank you so much for your help!

Thread Information