Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu




  1. #11
    TheBrabo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Down the block
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Hi Teddybehr,

    The Micron entries are in the "Boot Options" in the BIOS. They are left over from when I updated a couple of SSD's a couple of months ago. The process was kind of cool where the Micron updater apparently changed something in the boot order to point to a boot image on my system...I think it actually booted a Linux disto do do the flashing, but it doesn't seem to have cleaned up very well once the flashing was complete. I don't see any of these Micron devices in Windows. Everything I'm asking about is pre-Windows boot stuff.

    When "CSM Support" is set to never I do not see any of my devices listed at all, I only see some combination of these 4 phantom devices (the USB key & the Mircon devices).

    Secure boot is set to enable, "Fast Boot" has never been enabled.

    It seem that things are closest to what I think "working correctly" when I flash your updated BIOS & reset the system. At that point I can see my SSD listed as "UEFI:850 Pro" & I don't see any of the phantom devices. Things get worse the more I change the CSM settings. When I change the "OS type" to "Windows" "UEFI:850 Pro" turns into "P0:850 Pro" & when I change "CSM Support" to never I get the phantom entries back & lose the "P0:850 Pro" entry.

    I will try your CSM setting & report back.

    Thanks for following the thread!

    -TheBrabo

  2. #12
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

    The Micron entries are in the "Boot Options" in the BIOS. They are left over from when I updated a couple of SSD's a couple of months ago. The process was kind of cool where the Micron updater apparently changed something in the boot order to point to a boot image on my system...I think it actually booted a Linux disto do do the flashing, but it doesn't seem to have cleaned up very well once the flashing was complete. I don't see any of these Micron devices in Windows. Everything I'm asking about is pre-Windows boot stuff.

    When "CSM Support" is set to never I do not see any of my devices listed at all, I only see some combination of these 4 phantom devices (the USB key & the Mircon devices).

    Secure boot is set to enable, "Fast Boot" has never been enabled.

    It seem that things are closest to what I think "working correctly" when I flash your updated BIOS & reset the system. At that point I can see my SSD listed as "UEFI:850 Pro" & I don't see any of the phantom devices. Things get worse the more I change the CSM settings. When I change the "OS type" to "Windows" "UEFI:850 Pro" turns into "P0:850 Pro" & when I change "CSM Support" to never I get the phantom entries back & lose the "P0:850 Pro" entry.

    I will try your CSM setting & report back.

    Thanks for following the thread!

    -TheBrabo
    Yeah please try them.

    If not successful. Please post your BIOS settings (all of them) in the "BIOS Features" tab.
    Post also your graphic card manufacturer. If you're not able to find if it's UEFI booting compatible, I will.
    Disabling all other SATA port than your Samsung 850 pro (probably SATA Port 0) can help for diagnostic. When everything will be OK, re-enable the other ones.

    Note also that:
    - Fast Boot, Ultra fast boot
    - Secure Boot
    Are UEFI features ONLY. Enabling them if you're not in FULL UEFI booting mode (CSM support disable) can creates conflicts.

    Helping someone in another thread and I found that:
    It seems to be that your Samsung 850 pro might have a firmware problem and it seems to be quite common. Contact Samsung support or browse internet. There are solutions posted here and there on the net.

    BEWARE of new Samsung 850 PRO Firmware! - AnandTech Forums
    Regards
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

  3. #13
    TheBrabo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Down the block
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Hi Teddybehr,

    Here are some screenshots of my BIOS:

    BIOS Weirdness - Album on Imgur

    the first 6 shots are with my BIOS set per your request in post #10.

    The last 4 are how I have it set right now. As in I took the last 4 screenshots, exited the BIOS & booted into Windows 8.1.

    Also, my video card is a Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD.

    -TheBrabo

  4. #14
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

    Here are some screenshots of my BIOS:

    BIOS Weirdness - Album on Imgur

    the first 6 shots are with my BIOS set per your request in post #10.

    The last 4 are how I have it set right now. As in I took the last 4 screenshots, exited the BIOS & booted into Windows 8.1.

    Also, my video card is a Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD.

    -TheBrabo
    The only explanation is that you have remaining Linux partition or something like that. Check with Minitool partition wizard.
    Those micron uefi boot image do no come from thin air

    - Remove all your SSD except Samsung 850 Pro
    - re-flash bios (this erase everything), do the drill like loading optimized default, ....
    - be sure to disable secure boot
    - boot Win 8.1 (P0:...)
    - Check your partitions with minitool

    If the Micron thing come back again it's because you may have a ext3 ext4 partition on your 850 pro somewhere that you will see with Minitool.
    It can also be a FAT32 partition with your Micron firmware boot loader that is a UEFI boot loader (obviously) but it is not Windows 8.1 UEFI boot loader.
    It can also be you verbatim USB key that is bootable. I saw UEFI:verbatim... and/or contain the Micron UEFI bootloader

    So it has to be deleted in a safe way without modifying your partitions structure (you can check with diskpart also). Beware of the hidden partition. They are important too.
    In that case you will have to decide if you want to keep your Win 8.1 in Legacy mode (P0:850) or you re-install your win 8.1 in full UEFI mode (or in Legacy mode if you wish)

    I will do the follow up promise
    regards
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-20-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added precision
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

  5. #15
    TheBrabo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Down the block
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Hi Teddybehr,

    Here is what I get in the partition wizard tool with all my drives attached:

    Imgur

    -TheBrabo

  6. #16
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

    Here is what I get in the partition wizard tool with all my drives attached:

    Imgur

    -TheBrabo
    Obviously you didn't remove your other SSD/HDD
    Anyhow,

    - First plug your USB key that you use for flashing the BIOS
    - Open Minitool and post another picture
    - Select the 100 MB FAT32 partition on the first SSD (238.47GB) in Minitool, Right-Click, select Explore
    - Post a picture (or pictures) of the window with ALL directories expanded (like in my signature)
    - Move your files from the USB key (if you want to keep them), delete all files on the USB key and reformat your USB key in FAT32 (the goal is to have a non-bootable usb key with just the BIOS file that you will flash on it)

    - Put the BIOS file to flash on the USB key
    - Do not flash yet
    Come back here. The goal is to fing a file with the extention ".efi" that doesn't belong to Windows 8.1
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

  7. #17
    TheBrabo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Down the block
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Hi Teddybehr,

    Here are the requested screenshots from Partition Explorer:

    Partition Explorer - Album on Imgur

    -TheBrabo

  8. #18
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

    Here are the requested screenshots from Partition Explorer:

    Partition Explorer - Album on Imgur

    -TheBrabo
    Hi. Thank you.

    I have another request.
    Please open a command prompt and type "bcdedit /enum all /v"
    post image please


    READ CAREFULLY AND DO ALL Steps In the right order

    I assume your USB Key has been re-formatted. If not do it now then format it FAT32
    Put the BIOS File on the USB key and remove the key
    Disconnect any USB device except keyboard and mouse
    Search extensively for any file on your SSD/HDD E: and F: that has the extension ".efi" (serach "*.efi") even in the hidden files
    If you find something delete it.

    Shut down computer, un-plug power cord
    Disconnect all SSD/HDD except the Samsung 850 pro which contains the OS
    Re-plug power cord and Start computer

    You will start a command prompt in admin mode
    To do that put your mouse cursor all the way in the bottom left corner of your desktop.
    Right-click...a menu will appear...select "Command prompt (Admin)"
    In the new window that will appear you will type "Diskpart"

    From there you will follow the guide from the link beginning at "Start diskpart:" after the picture of a light blue screen that says "Advanced options"
    How to repair UEFI Bootloader in Windows 8 | Windows OS Hub

    At the step "Select volume 1" that might not be the volume 1 for you
    You will select the volume that's says FAT32 that is 100MB
    Let's say it is volume 3 then you will write:
    "select volume 3" instead of "select volume 1"
    you continue to follow the guide

    Once you did everything in the guide, type
    "exit" 2 times
    shut down your computer, remove power cord for 30 seconds, put the USB key in a USB port, replug power cord
    - Power on and immediately enter QFlash (press the "end" key many times before booting)
    - Flash your BIOS 20e with QFlash, it will then cycle, when the computer shuts down after the 3 seconds count down...remove the USB key quickly before it boots
    The computer will boot you in BIOS

    Go in advanced mode
    - Load optimized settings (F7), save, reboot, re-enter BIOS
    - Put "OS type" at "Win 8"
    - Put "CSM Support at "Always"
    - Put Boot mode selection at "UEFI and Legacy"
    - Put "Storage Boot Option" at "UEFI only"
    - Disable "Secure boot"
    - Save, reboot

    That should do it this time
    Don't forget to Reformat your USB Key in Fat32 before all this
    Post back I will try to make you boot in full UEFI if everything is good
    If everything is fine, you can re-plug your other SSD/HDD assuming you have not found any file finishing by .efi or have deleted them on E: or F:
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-21-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: more info
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

  9. #19
    TheBrabo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Down the block
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Hi Teddybehr,

    So I followed your instructions with a few twists.

    I couldn't find "bootrec" running Windows as my admin user so I assumed it was a recovery-environment specific command & booted into the "command prompt" environment where I was able to follow the bootloader guide successfully.

    I followed the rest of your instructions & wound up with "UEFI:850 Pro" & "P0:850 Pro" as my boot options. Booted windows & confirmed I was in UEFI mode. Shutdown & re-connected the other devices. Now I see:

    UEFI:850 Pro
    P0:850 Pro
    P1:850 Evo
    P2:WD Black
    P3:DVD-ROM

    in the boot options, I can see the disks in the disk boot order, the DVD in the DVD boot order & there's no sign of the phantom UEFI devices. I think it's all working as we hoped.

    I did miss the "Secure Boot" option in the BIOS. I saw the grey text showing "Disabled" not the option below that was enabled.

    So what do we do to get me booting in "full UEFI"? What do I do about UEFI support in my graphics card? I have always been able to see the BIOS graphic & the BIOS (except when I was trying to get the CPU graphics enabled to use with LucidLogix & QuickSync) through my GPU.

    -TheBrabo

  10. #20
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

    So I followed your instructions with a few twists.

    I couldn't find "bootrec" running Windows as my admin user so I assumed it was a recovery-environment specific command & booted into the "command prompt" environment where I was able to follow the bootloader guide successfully.

    I followed the rest of your instructions & wound up with "UEFI:850 Pro" & "P0:850 Pro" as my boot options. Booted windows & confirmed I was in UEFI mode. Shutdown & re-connected the other devices. Now I see:

    UEFI:850 Pro
    P0:850 Pro
    P1:850 Evo
    P2:WD Black
    P3:DVD-ROM

    in the boot options, I can see the disks in the disk boot order, the DVD in the DVD boot order & there's no sign of the phantom UEFI devices. I think it's all working as we hoped.

    I did miss the "Secure Boot" option in the BIOS. I saw the grey text showing "Disabled" not the option below that was enabled.

    So what do we do to get me booting in "full UEFI"? What do I do about UEFI support in my graphics card? I have always been able to see the BIOS graphic & the BIOS (except when I was trying to get the CPU graphics enabled to use with LucidLogix & QuickSync) through my GPU.

    -TheBrabo
    Damn insomnia

    Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You are were you want to be (or near).
    Your Windows 8.1 (as an OS) now boots in UEFI mode!!!!
    From now on, if something happen, you just reset CMOS (little black button), Load optimized default settings, put the settings as they are now and Win 8.1 will boot in UEFI mode (instead of the P0:XXX) like it does now.
    Again from now on boot Win 8.1 in UEFI only (Storage boot option control= "UEFI ONLY")



    Your computer do not boot fully in UEFI for now but that is not very important
    So far, I see mixed info
    From that link your 270 do not have a GOP vBIOS (UEFI booting capability)
    VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte R9 270 2048 MB | techPowerUp

    You can always ask in other forum
    I will get back to you within 24h

    You can always try to set "Boot mode selection" at UEFI (at your own risk, I would wait for more info if I were you)
    and see what happen
    We will try to make it boot in full UEFI as close as it gets if not fully
    Congratulation for all your efforts!!!!
    Regards
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-21-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •