Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

TheBrabo is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

Hi Teddybehr,

Yes, I saw that about my video card....I found another database of cards online & was shocked at how many cards don't have UEFI bios.

I'm not sure what\where the "Boot Mode Selection" setting is but I do have the system set to explicitly boot "UEFI:850 Pro". Is that the same setting?

I'm eager to see what you suggest I change next. I certainly appreciate your help!

-TheBrabo

Teddybehr is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

Yes, I saw that about my video card....I found another database of cards online & was shocked at how many cards don't have UEFI bios.

I'm not sure what\where the "Boot Mode Selection" setting is but I do have the system set to explicitly boot "UEFI:850 Pro". Is that the same setting?

I'm eager to see what you suggest I change next. I certainly appreciate your help!

-TheBrabo
    Yeah, Microsoft and hardware manufacturers did a piss poor job at implementing UEFI. Even now only a handful of ppl knows about UEFI secure boot and the boot keys

I was exhausting all possibilities so I was in my way in.
    Your card is not UEFI boot compatible. You can ask Gigabyte support if they can provide you with a GOP UEFI vBIOS (or hybrid vBIOS).

The settings that make Win 8.1 boot exclusively from a SSD perspective is: "Storage Boot Option Control" = "UEFI Only"
    With that settings the BIOS will boot only a SSD/HDD/USB Key that has a UEFI boot loader. Check your pictures that you made of the 100MB FAT32 partition. You will see them: bootmgr.efi bootmgfw.efi memtest.efi

Regarding the "Boot Mode Selection" when enabled it will show you only the "UEFI: XXXXX" (nothing to gain here you will have to specified VGA booting at Legacy anyway)
    If your graphic card do not support UEFI, You have to put CSM support at "Always" (to enable the options ROM aka, OpRom)

If your card support UEFI booting then you set CSM support at "Never" (or disable) from now on you can (only with Win 8.1 and 10):
    - turn on fast boot and ultra fast boot
    - secure boot (no one want this one trust me, I have had many request to debug many that put the keys and enable secure boot and it was causing more harm than good)

For more explanation you can go there. Parsec explain way better than me
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ot-solved.html

That being said, if you look at my specs you will find that I modded my non-UEFI HD 8650 to a UEFI HD 6850.
    To be honest, it doesn't change much. Especially that I had to enable CSM support for Win 7 afterward for dual booting
    Search previous post. I indicated couple of links where someone can have it modded. I do not recommend it though.
    You don't miss much, Trust me. (maybe with the new NVMe powered SSD it will make a difference)
    Congratulation again. You should be proud with all the efforts you made to turn a MBR Legacy booting Win 8.1 to a Win 8.1 UEFI booting.
    You will also be ready for Win 10 UEFI mode (since you boot Win 8.1 in UEFI mode)
    Hope it helps
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

TheBrabo is offline Junior Member

Hi Teddybehr,

I was poking around with some of the system info tools and when I ran GPU-Z I noticed this:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/15/07/26/n.png

Check out right under the AMD logo...the UEFI checkbox is ticked. I suppose that might make sense given that I've been able to boot with the CSM set to "Never" even in the darkest days of my boot process being screwed up.

Is there something else I can use to confirm that this video BIOS supports UEFI?

Further research comprising of watching half a video on Youtube of some guy & what he did to modify his 270 BIOS for UEFI boot shows that I have a block of (GOP BIOS?) code in a dumped image of my video BIOS in the location indicated in the video.

I suppose I ought to change to CSM= "Never" & see what it does? Can't be any harm in that!

-TheBrabo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information