Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system




  1. #1
    BAJE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Billericay Essex UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    I have built a new system with a Z97P-D3 Motherboard Intel I7-4790k CPU 750W PSU 32GB RAM 1600Hz 500 GB SSD Nvidia K2200 Graphics card 4K monitor sound card wireless card USB 3.0 card SATA leads etc. Never built a system before so was very maticulous during install. When powering up fans start HD LED flashes once (long flash) with no signal to the monitor. Have tried using both HDMI and DisplyPort outlets from Graphics card and have tried removing Graphics card using the HDMI outlet at the back of the Motherboard. Have also tried connecting to a digital TV without success. Obviously not been able to access BIOS or install Windows 7 64Bit operating system.

    Any suggestions what to try?

  2. #2
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJE View Post
    I have built a new system with a Z97P-D3 Motherboard Intel I7-4790k CPU 750W PSU 32GB RAM 1600Hz 500 GB SSD Nvidia K2200 Graphics card 4K monitor sound card wireless card USB 3.0 card SATA leads etc. Never built a system before so was very maticulous during install. When powering up fans start HD LED flashes once (long flash) with no signal to the monitor. Have tried using both HDMI and DisplyPort outlets from Graphics card and have tried removing Graphics card using the HDMI outlet at the back of the Motherboard. Have also tried connecting to a digital TV without success. Obviously not been able to access BIOS or install Windows 7 64Bit operating system.

    Any suggestions what to try?
    Welcome on the forum.


    - Unplug monitor and Computer
    - Make sure that all the power cables are hook up to your graphic cards (6 or 8 pins PCI-E auxiliary power if needed)
    - Plug your monitor on the iGPU
    - Reset CMOS
    - Re-enter BIOS
    If you're not able to see something at this point, power down, unplug computer, remove your K2200, reset CMOS, re-enter BIOS

    In anycase, once into the BIOS:

    - Load Optimized Default Settings
    - Set you intial diplay output at "PEG" (or the one you K2200 is on)
    - Intel processor graphic at "Enable"
    - DMI Gen 2 speed at "Enable"
    - Enable CSM support in the BIOS (Windows 7 needs that), save, reboot
    - Finalize your settings (and do not enable secureboot, fast boot, ... those are Win 8.1 UEFI features), save, reboot
    That should do it
    In case you remove your K2200, shut down computer, replug your card, re-plug monitor on K2200

    Please post back if success or come back for more help
    regards
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-21-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typos
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

  3. #3
    BAJE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Billericay Essex UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybehr View Post
    Welcome on the forum.


    - Unplug monitor and Computer
    - Make sure that all the power cables are hook up to your graphic cards (6 or 8 pins PCI-E auxiliary power if needed)
    - Plug your monitor on the iGPU
    - Reset CMOS
    - Re-enter BIOS
    If you're not able to see something at this point, power down, unplug computer, remove your K2200, reset CMOS, re-enter BIOS

    In anycase, once into the BIOS:

    - Load Optimized Default Settings
    - Set you intial diplay output at "PEG" (or the one you K2200 is on)
    - Intel processor graphic at "Enable"
    - DMI Gen 2 speed at "Enable"
    - Enable CSM support in the BIOS (Windows 7 needs that), save, reboot
    - Finalize your settings (and do not enable secureboot, fast boot, ... those are Win 8.1 UEFI features), save, reboot
    That should do it
    In case you remove your K2200, shut down computer, replug your card, re-plug monitor on K2200

    Please post back if success or come back for more help
    regards
    Thanks it was a great help...... I've been able to access BIOS and load Windows 7 and the Graphics card, the monitor is working via the Graphics card. As recommended by Gigabyte I loaded their 'Intel 9 series Utilities', unfortunately the wireless mouse and keyboard now don't work in Windows, although they work in BIOS! I've tried reloading the BIOS and re-setting without success. I can't access windows (no keyboard or mouse) to see if it's a windows problem rather than Motherboard/BIOS issue......
    also couldn't see the CSM support heading in BIOS?
    What do you recommend?

  4. #4
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJE View Post
    Thanks it was a great help...... I've been able to access BIOS and load Windows 7 and the Graphics card, the monitor is working via the Graphics card. As recommended by Gigabyte I loaded their 'Intel 9 series Utilities', unfortunately the wireless mouse and keyboard now don't work in Windows, although they work in BIOS! I've tried reloading the BIOS and re-setting without success. I can't access windows (no keyboard or mouse) to see if it's a windows problem rather than Motherboard/BIOS issue......
    also couldn't see the CSM support heading in BIOS?
    What do you recommend?
    You're welcome! Glad you are seeing something. It's always better that way (kidding)
    First, plug your USB keyboard and USB mouse in the USB 2.0 ports that are located next to the Lan port on the back plate of your motherboard. They are black. Then you should be able to navigate after 1 or 2 reboot.

    Ok since you have Win 7 (x64) you have USB 3 drivers and other drivers to install. Win 7 do not "auto-install" several drivers. Go there and install everything driver' like and hotfix
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z97P-D3 (rev. 1.0)

    After that you should be OK.
    I recommend that you install the latest BIOS also. Please ask Gigabyte support to tell you if you should install the F6 or the F7
    You can check your installed BIOS version with CPU-Z.

    If you put the "Windows 8 features" setting in the BIOS at "other OS" CSM support is enable by default. My bad about that but better safe than sorry on this particular setting.
    Note: That being said if you plan to install Win 8.1 or Win 10 from windows 7 soon, I would recommend that you install Windows 7 in UEFI mode. Just tell me if it's the case and I will help you re-install in UEFI.
    Hope it helps. Do not hesitate to come back for further explanation or help.
    Regards
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-22-2015 at 04:55 AM.
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

  5. #5
    BAJE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Billericay Essex UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybehr View Post
    You're welcome! Glad you are seeing something. It's always better that way (kidding)
    First, plug your USB keyboard and USB mouse in the USB 2.0 ports that are located next to the Lan port on the back plate of your motherboard. They are black. Then you should be able to navigate after 1 or 2 reboot.

    Ok since you have Win 7 (x64) you have USB 3 drivers and other drivers to install. Win 7 do not "auto-install" several drivers. Go there and install everything driver' like and hotfix
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z97P-D3 (rev. 1.0)

    After that you should be OK.
    I recommend that you install the latest BIOS also. Please ask Gigabyte support to tell you if you should install the F6 or the F7
    You can check your installed BIOS version with CPU-Z.

    If you put the "Windows 8 features" setting in the BIOS at "other OS" CSM support is enable by default. My bad about that but better safe than sorry on this particular setting.
    Note: That being said if you plan to install Win 8.1 or Win 10 from windows 7 soon, I would recommend that you install Windows 7 in UEFI mode. Just tell me if it's the case and I will help you re-install in UEFI.
    Hope it helps. Do not hesitate to come back for further explanation or help.
    Regards
    Thanks again for the feedback much appreciated..... However still can't get the wireless keyboard/mouse (joined to one small USB plug) to operate, again works ok in BIOS although I did have to try a different USB socket before it worked.
    I've tried re-booting a few times with the USB plug in the socket next to the LAN port and other sockets without success, still no movement with the mouse/curser or keyboard when in windows.
    I've asked Gigabyte esupport regarding BIOS version (I'm running F6)
    Not sure if I will upgrade to 10 at the moment, just want to get the system working as it is for now.
    Any further advice/suggestions......

  6. #6
    BAJE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Billericay Essex UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJE View Post
    Thanks again for the feedback much appreciated..... However still can't get the wireless keyboard/mouse (joined to one small USB plug) to operate, again works ok in BIOS although I did have to try a different USB socket before it worked.
    I've tried re-booting a few times with the USB plug in the socket next to the LAN port and other sockets without success, still no movement with the mouse/curser or keyboard when in windows.
    I've asked Gigabyte esupport regarding BIOS version (I'm running F6)
    Not sure if I will upgrade to 10 at the moment, just want to get the system working as it is for now.
    Any further advice/suggestions......
    Picked up a couple of PS/2 adapters and tried using the PS/2 sockets for the mouse and keyboard, Windows showed loading PS/2 drivers on the screen and to reboot which I did by the main on/off switch as couldn't us the mouse to move curser over the yes button. Restarted with no effect the mouse and keyboard didn't work. Have removed the Nvidia k2200 graphics card trying the PS/2 sockets again no luck. Now back with the joint wireless keyboard and mouse and running through BIOS settings again (keyboard and mouse works in BIOS)
    Again tried running the Windows 7 disc without success as I can't move the curser via the mouse and the keyboard doesn't work.......

  7. #7
    BAJE is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Billericay Essex UK
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJE View Post
    Picked up a couple of PS/2 adapters and tried using the PS/2 sockets for the mouse and keyboard, Windows showed loading PS/2 drivers on the screen and to reboot which I did by the main on/off switch as couldn't us the mouse to move curser over the yes button. Restarted with no effect the mouse and keyboard didn't work. Have removed the Nvidia k2200 graphics card trying the PS/2 sockets again no luck. Now back with the joint wireless keyboard and mouse and running through BIOS settings again (keyboard and mouse works in BIOS)
    Again tried running the Windows 7 disc without success as I can't move the curser via the mouse and the keyboard doesn't work.......

    I think I've sorted out the problem. Via Safe Mode I've removed the programmes installed from the Gigabyte Intel Utilities disc, re-booted etc and all is working ok........ Phew
    Thanks for your support, you've been a great help through this minefield!

  8. #8
    Teddybehr's Avatar
    Teddybehr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Black screen/no monitor signal when powered up. New build system

    Quote Originally Posted by BAJE View Post
    I think I've sorted out the problem. Via Safe Mode I've removed the programmes installed from the Gigabyte Intel Utilities disc, re-booted etc and all is working ok........ Phew
    Thanks for your support, you've been a great help through this minefield!
    Well, you did pretty much the job and the debugging all alone
    It would have taken me way much more time to figure out the last bug/solution.
    Few people are as patient and meticulous as you.
    I know I wasn't as successful as you on my first built (years...hmmm ok, decades ago)
    Congratulation for your first built and come back anytime!
    Regards
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-24-2015 at 04:59 AM.
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •