Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Upgrade of H55M-S2V from 4gb to 8gb - help me figure this out?

Question Memory Upgrade of H55M-S2V from 4gb to 8gb - help me figure this out?

Hi All: First time poster here.

I've had a Gigabyte H55M-S2V F3 running an Intel i3 550 with 4gb ram (in a 2x2gb kit of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, CL9 9-9-9-24 1.5v) for a few years, and the system has been pretty stable.
    Recently, I bought a new set of G.Skill memory, a 2x4gb kit of G.skill Ripjaws with the same timings as the set I had (DDR3 1600, CL9 9-9-9-24, 1.35v).

I installed the new sticks, chose fully-optimized recommended settings in the bios (which sets them to 1333mhz), saved and rebooted.

The system refuses to boot to Windows. I have tried running Memtest x86, and it won't get through one pass of the test.

I've reset the CMOS and tried toying with XMP, but this hasn't seemed to work either.

Can anyone help me understand what BIOS settings I need to use in order to get this system to run stable again? Original literature says the motherboard can handle 8gb memory, and I made sure to get the same kind of memory as it had run in the past.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, thanks!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Memory Upgrade of H55M-S2V from 4gb to 8gb - help me figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwind View Post
    The system refuses to boot to Windows.
    Like you get, I refuse to boot into windows message?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolwind
    I have tried running Memtest x86, and it won't get through one pass of the test.
    Which test fail, disable hammer test for now.

Test each stick individually first, not worth messing around if you have one faulty stick.

Default Re: Memory Upgrade of H55M-S2V from 4gb to 8gb - help me figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Like you get, I refuse to boot into windows message?
    As in: once it gets past the BIOS section, it tries to boot windows, then promptly restarts. When I run memtest, it doesn't get through the first pass of the first test before the same thing happens.
    Which test fail, disable hammer test for now. Test each stick individually first, not worth messing around if you have one faulty stick.
    Tried each stick individually, and it wouldnt even get to the BIOS screen before hanging/restarting. At this point I give up - sending both sticks back. Will try again with a more precise matching of the RAM that I currently have, but in an 8gb kit. RMA'ing the other batch this weekend. Wish me luck! Upon re-installing the original 4gb kit, everything seems to work fine. I wonder whether it was the lower voltage of the 8gb kit I got that was messing things up?

G.Skill has QVL by vendor/model on their models try to get one that was tested with your motherboard or at least with other P55 boards.

G.Skill has QVL by vendor/model on their models try to get one that was tested with your motherboard or at least with other P55 boards.
    It's an H55 board, but I get what you mean. I did check this, and ironically the 4gb memory kit I have been using without issue for years isn't listed on g.skill QVL for ANY H55 boards. Yet it has worked just fine for me with this board for years! Of course the 8gb kit isn't listed as working with H55 boards either, but why would the 4gb kit work and not the 8 if the timings and voltages are the same? I just got the replacement kit of 8gb of the exact same g.skill memory (same timing, voltage, etc as the 4gb) and it won't get past the BIOS! It randomly restarts after several seconds of running the memtest, and won't boot to windows. I wonder, should I start messing with timings/voltages to try to get this kit to work? Interestingly, the lower-speed g.skill kit F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL IS listed on their site as compatible with some H55 boards, namely ASRock and MSI. Should I try that kit? Getting a little tired of the RMA dance, but really hoping to upgrade this machine. Ironically, the Gigabyte website specifically advertises the GA-H55M-S2V as having "2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory", yet its very own QVL doesn't list a SINGLE 8gb kit, at ANY speed. I wonder: does this Gigabyte board simply NOT WORK with 8gb of ram, despite having been advertised as such?

I can't recommend on any kit.
    Try to search this board on google and find what other user used.
    It is very common the the max theoretical memory capacity of the board is never listed on compatibility lists, for the simple reason that when they are made there are no such kits.
    And at least with older MBs a manual tweaking will be required to get max memory capacity to work, e.g. most likely you will need higherVTT and lower frequency (lower OC or non at all)

Thread Information