Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

Woracle is offline Junior Member

Default Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

I've just finished installing a fresh Win10 pro 64bit onto my new build with GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard. Everything fine so far except no sign of any USB3 ports or controllers in device manager. No additions when I plug USB pendrive or CD into the ports. USB2 ports are OK.

This seems to be a common problem with Giga MBs but most of the solutions are with Win7/8/8.1, and involve drivers for these. This board seems quite new and GigaByte have only released LAN and Audio updates so far for this board for Win10. I installed those. Only one chipset driver from the MB install CD wasn't OS version specific. I installed that Marvell GSATA AHCI. There rest are for win8 or 8.1. I am a bit weary of trying those for the moment.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on this, or do I just hassle GigaByte or VIA for some win 10 drivers.

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

Default Re: Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

Latest VIA driver is V4.90A ,as for R4/4.1.

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList...r_via-usb3.exe

No specific driver for Win10 yet.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Woracle is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem

I tried that. The setup program barfed and said it couldn't find any hardware or something. Anyway I got it working another way. Don't know why, but this does work...

I shutdown, unplugged the USB connector for the case fascia USB3 from the MB, leaving only the onboard USBs connected. Then on restart, windows detected these, installed its USB3 standard MS drivers and they worked. Then I shutdown again, plugged the fascia USB3 connector back into the MB. On restart, it detected these also. Now all USB ports work.

My theory is that windows 10 on this MB cannot detect both sets of USB3s if they are initially BOTH connected. Must be some conflict. However, if you install with just the onboard one, it detects that, then adding the 2nd set later, it will recognise that too. I proved it by doing a re-doing a fresh win10 install without the fascia USB3 connector connected. Connect the 2nd set once the initial USB3 drivers been added for the onboard set and you are fine.

Weird, but worth a try if anyone has multiple USB3 connections and windows cant recognise them.

Thread Information