Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: No video card support with CSM Disabled?

Question No video card support with CSM Disabled?

Hey, I've got a GA-Z170X Gaming 7 board and a Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X card, along with two Samsung SM951 m.2 drives. I'm trying to RAID those two SSDs together using the Intel RST interface on the motherboard and boot to them. In order to do that, I need to disable CSM.

Without the graphics card installed, everything works great. However, as soon as I install the graphics card, the machine refuses to boot, and the LCD on the motherboard is stuck at "97". The lights on the graphics card never even turn on. If I enable CSM, the RAID doesn't work, but the Sapphire card does.

I've contacted Sapphire, and they say it should just work out of the box, but they sent me a specific vBIOS for the card that is supposedly specifically supports "GOP", which is what seems to be necessary for GPUs to work in an environment where CSM is disabled. However, I eventually flashed my card and it still doesn't seem to work with CSM disabled - the exact same behavior being shown.

I have tickets open with both Gigabyte and Sapphire on the issue, but it's slow going. I'm hoping that opening this question up to the wider world might yield some help.

Default Re: No video card support with CSM Disabled?

I had this exact same problem with this exact same board, with the main differences being a 3.5" HDD SATA RAID and 2.5" SSD setup I wanted to run with a 970 outputting to a Qnix Q2710 monitor. I was thinking it was my quirky Korean panel with no built-in scaling failing to report or output correctly, but maybe not given you saw these issues as well.

What worked for me was to keep CSM enabled, but to change the storage options for SATA and PCI-E to UEFI only immediately beneath the CSM toggle. I followed all other Gigabyte recommendations in their manual for the Gaming 7 mobo to the letter. Forcing UEFI on the SATA controller allowed the modern/UEFI RAID menu to appear inside the BIOS once I changed the UEFI-only settings and restarted. If you don't force UEFI in the subordinate CSM options that appear, I found that you get the legacy Intel RST RAID menu on boot, which is the ugly/DOS-looking one that appears before the Gigabyte logo in POST. I got some serious weirdness when I flashed my BIOS and accidentally went from UEFI RAID back to legacy RAID, and ended up having to rebuild my arrays, so if this solution works I'd definitely keep an eye on those settings or write em down so you don't have that happen when flashing the BIOS in the future.

Now, if you happen to run into the situation where onboard audio doesn't work/appear in Device Manager whatsoever and want to share, let me know! It's the main thing I haven't been able to figure out about this board. :)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. On anything above the F2 initial release BIOS version (I'm running F4 for the moment), I also got hard locks in the BIOS when trying to name the RAID arrays inside the UEFI RAID controller menus in the BIOS. If you encounter this I'd recommend leaving them as deftault names and then using the Gigabyte-provided Intel RST tools (which end up in the system tray) to do your renaming of the RAID arrays. I reported this to Gigabyte in a ticket as part of trying to get onboard sound working.
    Last edited by Sahaj; 09-27-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Ah, so that's the secret to getting the legacy Intel BIOS to appear. I had a ticket open with Gigabyte asking that very question. In the end, I got impatient and bought a traditional SSD to install Windows on, and did a software RAID on the two m.2 drives. Not what I wanted, but good enough. Now I'm just trying to figure out what speed the m.2 drives are running at. The on page 45 of the manual, there's a weird footnote that simply says "The PCIe x4 SSD runs at x2 speed". There's no indication what that's actually referring to - is it the second m.2 drive? Is it the m.2 drives in RAID mode? Is it all the m.2 drives?

As for the audio, I actually disabled it in UEFI, as I'm using a Zx Creative card (I wanted the beam-forming stuff it offered). It's weird that Gigabyte lists only what looks like a Release Candidate for audio drivers, however.

I'm guessing you are talking about that lovely table on page 32 showing your what combinations of SATA/SATA-Express and M.2 Drives you can have .... took a while to get my head around that!

If you want to run both M.2 slots at full x4 speed and in RAID it look like you can only use SATA port 4 for another drive. If you use more sata ports then the M2. D slot will run at x2 Speed.

As I have only got one m.2 SSD I have put that in the M2. H socket which still allows me to still use all the SATA Ports except 5.

Peter

Huh. I read that as all the Intel SATA ports would be *disabled* except for #4. I didn't think they'd be usable. I'm using a Windows RAID, rather than an Intel RAID, so I figured I'd be able to use two SATA ports now - but after what you say, I might have unintentionally reduced the speed of my m.2 drives.

Well seeing you are running in AHCI mode I guess sata 4-5 are usable while the M.2 slots running at full speed, using Intel latest rst manager in Windows it reports the link speed if that helps.

I can see the link speeds for the SATA ports, but not the m.2 slots - is there a way to determine their link speed?

I'm using Intel RST 14.6 direct from their website and My SM951 SSD appears in the manager and under advance settings it shows link speed connection as X4 (4000Mbs)

Huh. I'm using the exact same version as you (got it from Intel as well), and it only shows the two drives attached via SATA. Windows sees all the drives just fine. One of the drives it does see is in a second Windows RAID, so putting a drive in a dynamic group doesn't prevent it from being seen by RST.

Going back to the original post, I got my hands on an eVGA nVidia 750 card and tossed that in - no problems with CSM Disabled. So at this point, I'm pointing the finger at the Sapphire R9 Fury. Still working their tech support - we'll see what happens.

Thread Information