Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-Z170X-UD5 Can't set boot drive in RAID mode?

Default GA-Z170X-UD5 Can't set boot drive in RAID mode?

Hello,

I've configured my drives in UEFI RAID, and am having difficulty installing windows using a USB drive. I get an error message "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". I've encountered this a few times. Usually the solution is to create the partition using command prompt or setting the drive I want to install on as the bootable drive in the BIOS. Since I was already in the installation, I tried the diskpart method with no luck so I dove back into the BIOS. To my surprise, every boot option and priority setting is missing from the relevant sections as soon as the controller is put in RAID mode. I tried fiddling with settings related to the SATA controller with no luck. Is it because I'm trying to install from USB that I'm having this issue to begin with? The end result I'm trying to achieve is Windows 10 on my m.2 drive, and two SATA drives in RAID 0. Any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rstran is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-Z170X-UD5 Can't set boot drive in RAID mode?

Quote Originally Posted by nastjuid View Post
    Hello,

I've configured my drives in UEFI RAID, and am having difficulty installing windows using a USB drive. I get an error message "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". I've encountered this a few times. Usually the solution is to create the partition using command prompt or setting the drive I want to install on as the bootable drive in the BIOS. Since I was already in the installation, I tried the diskpart method with no luck so I dove back into the BIOS. To my surprise, every boot option and priority setting is missing from the relevant sections as soon as the controller is put in RAID mode. I tried fiddling with settings related to the SATA controller with no luck. Is it because I'm trying to install from USB that I'm having this issue to begin with? The end result I'm trying to achieve is Windows 10 on my m.2 drive, and two SATA drives in RAID 0. Any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    see my similar post, I raid 0'd two m.2 drives and had trouble installing windows, the solution was to get the proper rst driver and load them when windows is looking for a drive to install to. I got the correct drivers from the Intel website

Default Re: GA-Z170X-UD5 Can't set boot drive in RAID mode?

Try what the above said, in full uefi mode Windows can only boot from GPT partitioned HDD. So in the install process you most likely have to load Intel drivers so you can at least see the HDD/RAID Drive, and then create a new GPT Partition as part of the install process. I had a similar issue with my M.2 Drive when I switched my bios from legacy mode to csm disabled.

Thread Information