Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 SLI Issue

Default GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 SLI Issue

I have a G1-Z170X-Gaming G1 motherboard with two Nvidia GTX Titan video cards. According to the mobo manual I should install one card into PCIEx16_1 and the other card into PCIEx16_2 if I want to deploy them in SLI mode where they will both run in x8 mode. Instead, what is happening is that one is running x16 mode and the other is running in x2 mode. Before someone says "power saving is kicking in" I have loaded up 3dmark (latest version) before using GPU-Z to check the status of each card. Anyone have any ideas? Here is a screenshot:

GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 SLI Issue-gigabyte_sli_problem-jpg

Notice also that according to the Everest one is actually much slower than the other suggesting that one is really running at x16 and one is running at x2. Never seen this before and would love to hear some opinions.

- tt0ne

Default Re: GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 SLI Issue

I hate to have to RMA this board - what a freakin' pain in the ass - anyone have any ideas? I pulled the battery and let it sit with no power for 2 hours. BIOS definitely reset but still - no luck.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

1. Can you test both of your Titan cards in different SLI computer system?
    2. Are there any pci-e cards installed in the PCIEX8_1 or in the PCIEX8_2 slots?
    3. Have you tested with a different SLI bridge to see if the first bridge is defective?
    4. Have you tested each card one at a time in the PCIEX16_1 slot? In the PCIEX16_2 slot?
    5. Have you connected an auxiliary power cable to the ATX4P connector?
    6. Have you verified that each of the psu power cables that connect to each video card and the ATX4P connector are supplying full power?
    7. Are each of the psu power cables fully seated in the video card and psu sockets?

As a last resort, see if your SLI setup runs with 8 x 8 lanes using the PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots.

It's possible that both video cards will work properly with a different power supply or with your motherboard on a cardboard box, outside of the computer case.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Can you test both of your Titan cards in different SLI computer system?

Yes. I just built this machine to replace my last build which I gave to my daughter. The two Titans came out of my last build and into my new build where they were running x8 in SLI.

Are there any pci-e cards installed in the PCIEX8_1 or in the PCIEX8_2 slots?

No. But just to see if I could trigger a change I put in an old 8800 GTS into PCIEx8_1 and then PCIEx8_2 but that didn't change anything other than to make the top PCIEx16 slot scale down to 8x (expected behavior) and the second time led to no post.

Have you tested with a different SLI bridge to see if the first bridge is defective?

I have a whole crap load of SLI bridges from over the years of upgrading my builds and I used the SLI bridge that came with the Gigabyte board after I had already tried to reuse my old SLI bridge (which was a lot nicer and had glowing green lights with lasers everywhere - well no lasers but anyways). No difference.

Have you tested each card one at a time in the PCIEX16_1 slot? In the PCIEX16_2 slot?

Yes. Both are detected at 16x individually when located in PCIEx16_1. If either are placed in PCIEx16_2 with no other video cards in the system the BIOS will not post.

Have you connected an auxiliary power cable to the ATX4P connector?

Yes.

Have you verified that each of the psu power cables that connect to each video card and the ATX4P connector are supplying full power?

After spending all this time trying to get it to work I started thinking it could be power related because although I had a SilverStone OPS1000 (84 AMP single 12v rail/1000 watts) powering the system I new that at peak loads I was getting within a few hundred watts of max in my old system and figured that maybe this Gigabyte with all the stuff you can't turn off, etc. that maybe I was just peaked out. So, I went and ordered an eVGA 220-T2 Titanium 1600W PSU which arrived yesterday. Other than being the biggest freakin' PSU I've ever seen despite replacing my old PSU there was no difference.

Are each of the psu power cables fully seated in the video card and psu sockets?

Yes.

As a last resort, see if your SLI setup runs with 8 x 8 lanes using the PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots.

Tried that. No post.

It's possible that both video cards will work properly with a different power supply or with your motherboard on a cardboard box, outside of the computer case.

We definitely know now that they won't work with a different PSU. As for it possibly running outside my case on a cardboard box - that may very well be but I found a fix and although it doesn't solve the problem with a strange acting PCIEx16_2 slot it gets me what I want which is a work SLI configuration.

Solution ended up with one Titan in PCIEx16_1 slot and the other Titan in the PCIEx8_1 slot right beside it. From what I've read about my motherboard is that it gives you 48 lanes via the PCIE bridge it has onboard and this is how it overcomes the 16 lane problem that would make 4 way SLI impossible with Skylake. I'd rather have the cards spread further apart for airflow but performance is back where I'd expect and I can live with it.

Thanks for at least trying to help :-)

tt0ne

Thread Information