Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

Enzarch is offline Junior Member

Default Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

Sometimes (upon cold boot only) the system will struggle to post, halting and sticking at various stages, or sometimes powering off and back on a moment later. From here it may or may not continue this cycle several times. Which can lead into a few different conclusions including; Properly posting and booting normally; or Giving me the "boot failure BIOS reset etc." screen which ALWAYS appears twice (I usually select "enter BIOS" then just save and exit and after doing this the second time, it will boot properly); or the final thing it may do is just boot, but with the BIOS reset. The system is 100% stable once booted, this issue persisted after a BIOS update from F6 to F7 to F8 as well.

XMP Setting made no difference (currently off (manually set))
    System Agent and CPU IO voltages are already bumped up (will test more)
    This happens whether overclocked or not (though much more frequent when overclocked)
    I have found that if the BIOS code reaches C5 it WILL boot, otherwise it starts hanging on (usually) C2, C3. and if it completely hangs, it'll sometimes change to C0 or 20
    Peripheral hardware seems to make little or no difference (complete testing is difficult with an intermittent problem)
    I may test a PSU swap, but may not be worth the trouble, as once it's booted its 100% no problem @ 4.8GHz, this is just an annoyance.

lemjello is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

I have a Gigabyte Z87, but, it does exactly the same thing. I've reserved myself to only letting it sleep in order to avoid this issue. It is truly a pain and would love to know if there is a solution. I'd love to be able to turn off my machine when leaving for a couple days and know that my machine will work when I get home. Because of this start up behavior, I'm always wondering if 'this time will be the time it stops working'

Quote Originally Posted by lemjello View Post
    I have a Gigabyte Z87, but, it does exactly the same thing. I've reserved myself to only letting it sleep in order to avoid this issue. It is truly a pain and would love to know if there is a solution. I'd love to be able to turn off my machine when leaving for a couple days and know that my machine will work when I get home. Because of this start up behavior, I'm always wondering if 'this time will be the time it stops working'
    This must be Gigabyte tradition, I also have a GB Z68 board that exhibits similar symptoms, we have at least one thing in common; Crucial memory, are you running 4 DIMMs? (this may not mean much though, as my Z68 has done this with Corsair sticks once)

I have always had suspicion it might be memory related. I have Ballistix Tracer modules which have the activity lights, making it easy to tell when the memory initializes. And after the memory lights up (after code C5) it WILL boot.
    Last edited by Enzarch; 12-03-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Yes, same exact ram, and yes, all 4 slots. Which, I know Gigabyte is really touchy when all 4 slots are used, but, I figured once it's running, that's it. Honestly, I don't remember if it did the same thing without all the ram slots filled or not. But, yes, same thing here...most of the time anyway....once the lights on the ram start going, I know it will start up.

On initial testing, looks like latest beta BIOS might solve this with an interesting workaround (F9A for my Z97X Gaming7)

It appears that upon halting during boot, it will hot restart automatically without forcing you into the BIOS or resetting

Although its not a true solution, It means no more human intervention during power-up, If this works consistently, I will be quite happy.

Is that with the official BIOS? :edit: I see you said beta :edit:
    I use the modded BIOS to unlock all 4 cores to turbo to 3.8, so, it would need to be an updated mod bios for me....for all I know, it is out there already and has been for a while since it's been at least a year since I flashed to the F10mod bios for my board...

Either way, no human interaction=fantastic! Good find on you, and thanks for posting it!

Quick update after a few days with F9A: The problem still exists, but seems to be far less frequent.

Thread Information