Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure




  1. #1
    Enzarch's Avatar
    Enzarch is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Default Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Sometimes (upon cold boot only) the system will struggle to post, halting and sticking at various stages, or sometimes powering off and back on a moment later. From here it may or may not continue this cycle several times. Which can lead into a few different conclusions including; Properly posting and booting normally; or Giving me the "boot failure BIOS reset etc." screen which ALWAYS appears twice (I usually select "enter BIOS" then just save and exit and after doing this the second time, it will boot properly); or the final thing it may do is just boot, but with the BIOS reset. The system is 100% stable once booted, this issue persisted after a BIOS update from F6 to F7 to F8 as well.

    XMP Setting made no difference (currently off (manually set))
    System Agent and CPU IO voltages are already bumped up (will test more)
    This happens whether overclocked or not (though much more frequent when overclocked)
    I have found that if the BIOS code reaches C5 it WILL boot, otherwise it starts hanging on (usually) C2, C3. and if it completely hangs, it'll sometimes change to C0 or 20
    Peripheral hardware seems to make little or no difference (complete testing is difficult with an intermittent problem)
    I may test a PSU swap, but may not be worth the trouble, as once it's booted its 100% no problem @ 4.8GHz, this is just an annoyance.

  2. #2
    lemjello is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    I have a Gigabyte Z87, but, it does exactly the same thing. I've reserved myself to only letting it sleep in order to avoid this issue. It is truly a pain and would love to know if there is a solution. I'd love to be able to turn off my machine when leaving for a couple days and know that my machine will work when I get home. Because of this start up behavior, I'm always wondering if 'this time will be the time it stops working'

  3. #3
    Enzarch's Avatar
    Enzarch is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Quote Originally Posted by lemjello View Post
    I have a Gigabyte Z87, but, it does exactly the same thing. I've reserved myself to only letting it sleep in order to avoid this issue. It is truly a pain and would love to know if there is a solution. I'd love to be able to turn off my machine when leaving for a couple days and know that my machine will work when I get home. Because of this start up behavior, I'm always wondering if 'this time will be the time it stops working'
    This must be Gigabyte tradition, I also have a GB Z68 board that exhibits similar symptoms, we have at least one thing in common; Crucial memory, are you running 4 DIMMs? (this may not mean much though, as my Z68 has done this with Corsair sticks once)

    I have always had suspicion it might be memory related. I have Ballistix Tracer modules which have the activity lights, making it easy to tell when the memory initializes. And after the memory lights up (after code C5) it WILL boot.
    Last edited by Enzarch; 12-03-2015 at 03:04 AM.

  4. #4
    lemjello is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Yes, same exact ram, and yes, all 4 slots. Which, I know Gigabyte is really touchy when all 4 slots are used, but, I figured once it's running, that's it. Honestly, I don't remember if it did the same thing without all the ram slots filled or not. But, yes, same thing here...most of the time anyway....once the lights on the ram start going, I know it will start up.

  5. #5
    Enzarch's Avatar
    Enzarch is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    On initial testing, looks like latest beta BIOS might solve this with an interesting workaround (F9A for my Z97X Gaming7)

    It appears that upon halting during boot, it will hot restart automatically without forcing you into the BIOS or resetting

    Although its not a true solution, It means no more human intervention during power-up, If this works consistently, I will be quite happy.

  6. #6
    lemjello is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Is that with the official BIOS? :edit: I see you said beta :edit:
    I use the modded BIOS to unlock all 4 cores to turbo to 3.8, so, it would need to be an updated mod bios for me....for all I know, it is out there already and has been for a while since it's been at least a year since I flashed to the F10mod bios for my board...

    Either way, no human interaction=fantastic! Good find on you, and thanks for posting it!

  7. #7
    Enzarch's Avatar
    Enzarch is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Quick update after a few days with F9A: The problem still exists, but seems to be far less frequent.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Great info lemjello!!!

    Finally, someone to talk about my rig.

    Is this F10 mod bios available and what is modified in it?
    Can you help me as I see some strange behavior in keeping all storage fit.
    Win 10 permanently and repetitively claims NTFS structure errors which are minor but annoying.
    I have to check what is causing it. Most probable it is BIOS parameters.
    I have Kingston memories on XMP set.
    Kingston HYPERX DDR3-2400MHz Savage 32 GB, Ga-Z97X Gaming7 and Intel Core i7 4790K, Crucial NVMe CT1000P1SSD8, MSI GeForce 1070 Gaming Z



    So Please if you can advise me source for this BIOS,
    most important Bios Mod (I implemented myself) is M.2 full support for NVMe CT1000P1SSD8 for boot from it.
    For now, I have official last BIOS modded for M.2 support it means F8. I am using this machine for rendering still images and ealk in movies for Architectural models.

    Quote Originally Posted by lemjello View Post
    Is that with the official BIOS? :edit: I see you said beta :edit:
    I use the modded BIOS to unlock all 4 cores to turbo to 3.8, so, it would need to be an updated mod bios for me....for all I know, it is out there already and has been for a while since it's been at least a year since I flashed to the F10mod bios for my board...

    Either way, no human interaction=fantastic! Good find on you, and thanks for posting it!

  9. #9
    lemjello is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Quote Originally Posted by Piotr Kozlowski View Post
    Great info lemjello!!!

    Finally, someone to talk about my rig.

    Is this F10 mod bios available and what is modified in it?
    Can you help me as I see some strange behavior in keeping all storage fit.
    Win 10 permanently and repetitively claims NTFS structure errors which are minor but annoying.
    I have to check what is causing it. Most probable it is BIOS parameters.
    I have Kingston memories on XMP set.
    Kingston HYPERX DDR3-2400MHz Savage 32 GB, Ga-Z97X Gaming7 and Intel Core i7 4790K, Crucial NVMe CT1000P1SSD8, MSI GeForce 1070 Gaming Z



    So Please if you can advise me source for this BIOS,
    most important Bios Mod (I implemented myself) is M.2 full support for NVMe CT1000P1SSD8 for boot from it.
    For now, I have official last BIOS modded for M.2 support it means F8. I am using this machine for rendering still images and ealk in movies for Architectural models.
    I'm sorry, I don't have this board anymore. But, I found the BIOS in the Gigabyte Support section of this forum. Search in the modified Bios section, you will find it. It's mostly to change the all core speed to have all cores turbo boost to max frequency if I remember correctly. Maybe some other things too, but, that was what I was mainly after when I did it. Somewhere in here GIGABYTE Modified Bios

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    14

    Post Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

    Quote Originally Posted by lemjello View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't have this board anymore. But, I found the BIOS in the Gigabyte Support section of this forum. Search in the modified Bios section, you will find it. It's mostly to change the all core speed to have all cores turbo boost to max frequency if I remember correctly. Maybe some other things too, but, that was what I was mainly after when I did it. Somewhere in here GIGABYTE Modified Bios
    Thank you for prompt response.

    QQ the link is for older chipset bioses up to z87, the board is with z97.

    One is not cleared yet by you : did you have M.2 NVMx on this board with full support with these bios?

    Please answer ASAP I need my PC for serious work now, and have only this weekend to set up <> solve all malfunctions in both 7 and 10 systems.
    BTW, Windows 7 has no problem with this config but 10 is like virus... all time have problems with software and hardware.
    I really Hate!!! MS for this.
    Last edited by Piotr Kozlowski; 1 Week Ago at 05:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •