Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z170X SOC Force MotherBoard - Unable to overclock memory whatsoever

brouhahaha is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z170X SOC Force MotherBoard - Unable to overclock memory whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Fact11 View Post
    Have you checked to see that the memory modules themselves are not faulty, I always run MemTest86+ on every module I get, and let it do a minimum of 3 passes. Once there are no errors after 3 passes, the module is good to go.

I suggest doing the following :

1) Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the Power Supply or if your power supply has an external on/off switch, then turn it off to make sure there is no power going to the board at all.
    2) Press the Clear CMOS button on your board and then wait a couple of mins and then restore power and turn the computer back on and leave everything in the bios at factory default including the RAM at 2133MHZ standard.
    3) Download the USB version of Memtest86+ and create USB boot drive and run Memtest86+ for 3 passess and if your memory checks out all good, then reboot and go into the Bios and set the following :

a) Memory Timing Mode - Advanced Manual
    b) Enter your Primary Timings of 16-18-18-36 into each channel
    c) Set System Memory Multiplier to 32.00
    d) Leave XMP Profile Disabled and Memory Enhancement Mode to Normal
    e) Umder DRAM Voltage Control - Set both DRAM Voltage and DRAM Training Voltage to 1.35V

Save and Exit bios and it will reboot and it should train the memory, and then boot up to the Gigabyte Logo Screen.

If all the above works successfully, then go back into the Bios and set the XMP Profile to Profile 1, save and reboot and see if it successfully boots up.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers mate, I shall try that later on, or on my week off. Currently working. I will however leave Memtest86+ running while I am at work.
    OK just tried your suggestion without doing the memtest86+. Could not get it to boot. Only if I set it to OC Relax will it boot. In bios however it does say that the timing for XMP profile are set... Will test overnight. I think this has more to do with the Gigabyte board and the need for a Bios update, despite both my Corsair sets being on the approved vendor list. Thanks for your suggestions mate. I'll update this thread if I hear from Gigabyte support.
    Last edited by brouhahaha; 12-17-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Quote Originally Posted by Fact11 View Post
    Relax OC or Enhanced Stability would both relax the timings from what they are normally meant to be and Enhanced Performance would increase them. But I think its best to run your timings as you set them in Normal Mode, because otherwise you are not really controlling the timings, because the Enhancement modes are altering them from what you have entered.

From reading your other posts, it appears your XMP Profile on the G1 does not support your RAM yet. This is a known issue across a few different manufacturers boards. I had an Asus Z170 Deluxe before the board I have now and it too had issues when I set the XMP Profile for the Corsair Vengeance Ram 2666MHZ I had on it. When I set the XMP Profile for it, it would display all the correct memory timings and speed, but once I saved and exited the bios and it rebooted, it would just go into a reboot loop until I press the MEM OK button on the board. I then had to go back into the bios and either enter the timings in manually, or what I also found out, is that if I simply changed the speed from 2666 to 2700 and left everything else as the XMP Profile, it would then boot successfully. I'd say a future bios update will eventually fix it for you, but running manually is simply doing the same thing as what the XMP Profile does anyway.
    Agreed. Getting excellent ram settings in OC is always a patient tango with your bios settings and the ram specs. These issues are fairly common with new boards especially in this case with the move to ddr4 specifications. It is always helpful to report the issue to Gigabyte support as well( even when you are able to manually resolve it) so that they can include solutions in future bios updates. More important when the vendor lists the ram as compatible but Gigabyte does not have it in their compatible ram list. In some cases it will actually help to achieve better overclock timings.

@ brouhahaha, How many sticks are you running currently?
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 12-18-2015 at 02:24 AM.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    Agreed. Getting excellent ram settings in OC is always a patient tango with your bios settings and the ram specs. These issues are fairly common with new boards especially in this case with the move to ddr4 specifications. It is always helpful to report the issue to Gigabyte support as well( even when you are able to manually resolve it) so that they can include solutions in future bios updates. More important when the vendor lists the ram as compatible but Gigabyte does not have it in their compatible ram list. In some cases it will actually help to achieve better overclock timings.

@ brouhahaha, How many sticks are you running currently?
    Four mate 4x4GB. I have contacted Gigabyte, they are normally quite good in responding. xjnine on this thread is also going to help me out with some bios tweaks. So far I can get 3200mhz but only with OC Relax setting. However looking at the bios information page, it does say that the XMP timings are loaded. Thing is these sticks were specifically designed for the X99 series. There are some newer ones designed for the Z170X platform, tempted to try them either Corsair or G.Skill Trident. Got memtest86+ running overnight. Sadly Fact11's suggestion 'Dram Training Voltage' did not work. Weird thing is, is that I got CMK16GX4M4B3300C16 RAM to eventually accept the XMP profile but it started bsod'ing after a while and they sent me CMD16GX4M4B3200C16 instead. I can't recall what I did, possibly a bios upgrade/downgrade (will try downgrading from F6g). I'd like to know how much of a hit I'm taking in terms of performance with the OC Relax setting. In terms of gaming I doubt it actually makes that much of a difference, but it would be nice to get the stated XMP settings.

*Update ran memtest86+ no errors. Nothing from Gigabyte yet.
    Last edited by brouhahaha; 12-19-2015 at 05:14 AM.

Wink Re: Z170X SOC Force MotherBoard - Unable to overclock memory whatsoever

OK Gigabyte sent me the non-beta Bios F6. I tried loading the XMP profile with that. But it would not boot. xjnine, sent me some great instructions and screenshots of his bios, so I thought I would try a few of them out. I did his FCLK to 1ghz tweak and the Training Voltage setting to match the 1.35 volts. And it booted up fine. Went back in and put the FCLK setting back to normal. And it booted up fine. I think the Training Voltage was set and FCLK just gives it the kick required to boot-up when you first change the XMP profile. Thanks everyone for your help appreciate it.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

Glad to hear it is working. Silly Gigabyte bios is like a new baby, have to keep potty training until it gets it right. Cheers to xjnine. Hope it works on both of your Bios( Main and Backup) now as well.
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information