Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z170X SOC Force MotherBoard - Unable to overclock memory whatsoever

Default Z170X SOC Force MotherBoard - Unable to overclock memory whatsoever

Hi,

I have just built a new system with a Z170X SOC Force motherboard and am using Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2 x16GB) LPX 2666Mhz Ram. I previously had this memory on an Asus Z170 Deluxe Board and was able to overclock it with no problems whatsoever.
    However since putting the ram into the Z170x SOC board, the only way it will boot is if I just have the XMP Profile selected in bios and everything else set to auto. If I attempt to enter in manual memory timings and/or adjust the memory system multiplier to anything higher than the 2666mhz,
    and then save settings and reboot, it will just sit there for a bit with a blank screen and then get code 55 on the board LED, beep 5 times and shutdown, then start up and get back to the bios, stating it had some incompatible settings and then I have to go back into the bios and change it back to auto and it will boot fine.
    The only way I have managed so far to get any increase in memory speed to 3200mhz, is to still leave everything set to auto and the XMP profile turned on and then just change the memory system multiplier to 32.00 which then makes the speed of the memory 3200Mhz, but it automatically sets the timings to 20-37-37-45, when they should be 16-18-18-36.

I am hoping that someone on here has this board and has been able to overclock their memory through the bios and is able to help me and let me know where I am going wrong. I have tried all the different memory enhancement modes, but they do not make any difference. There is a memory multiplier tweaker option that is set at 1 automatically and it goes from 1-4 when trying to change it manually, but I have no idea what this does as there is no explanation of it in the manual, other than just stating it is set to Auto.

I am running Bios Version F5, and have a i7 6700K processor. Other than that I have a 980ti graphics card and an SSD drive. I have run memtest+ on the memory modules and there are no errors whatsoever on them. The system is extremely stable and when I do have all the memory settings set to auto, everything runs perfectly fine. I did however buy this board to be able to overclock everything and so far memory overclocking on this board is a lot harder than on the Z170 Asus Deluxe board I had previously.

Look forward to getting help on this issue. Thanks.

xjnine is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z170X SOC Force MotherBoard - Unable to overclock memory whatsoever

I had a very similar issue, you may be able to find the thread on this board (Configuring memory on GA-Z170X Gaming G1 thread).

Here's what I had to do to get my system booting:

With RAM setting at default, change Memory Enhancement setting to Relax OC or Max Stability and make sure to disable the Memory Fast Boot option. Reboot.

After you reboot you should be able to enable XMP and adjust the rest of your RAM settings as needed. Reboot.

If you are able to load windows you can go back and turn the Memory Fast Boot option back on.

Not sure if this will work for you but it worked for me when I was experiencing the same issues. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately disabling Memory fast boot option didn't make any difference. There must be another option that I am just missing, that is stopping it from booting up correctly with manual timings entered, I just don't know what it is.

Have you also manually adjusted the RAM voltage, the system agent voltage and the VCCIO voltage?

I have worked out the problem. Yes I had set my Dram voltage and SA and VCCIO voltages, but after doing some further research, I discovered that there is an option in the Gigabyte bios called "Dram training voltage", which when overclocking, also has to be set to the same voltage that your normal Dram voltage is set to. Once I set both those voltages to 1.35v, then it would boot up with all my manual timing entries.
    It then would also work with all the options in the 'Memory Enhancement Settings" option, whether it be Normal, Relax OC, Enhance Stability or Enhance Performance.
    Then for the Memory Fast Boot option, I set it to auto, as that is for controlling when it trains the memory during boot. Having it set to auto means that it will train the memory only when there has been changes made to any of the memory timing settings, which makes sense as the system has to determine if the new settings will be accepted, otherwise if no changes are made to memory timings, then the system does not the train the memory and boots instantly.
    Which is why the Dram Training Voltage setting has to be the same as the normal Dram Voltage, because any overclocked memory also needs a higher voltage during training as well as normal operation.
    There is also another thread on here for the Z170X Gaming G1 which is almost the same as the Z170X SOC Force and they were having the same issues as I was having, I'd say that setting the Dram Training Voltage on that board when overclocking would solve the issue as well.
    Last edited by Fact11; 12-08-2015 at 03:31 PM.

That's great info, thanks for the update.

brouhahaha is offline Junior Member

Hi guys, have the exact same issue with the GA-Z170X G1 motherboard and Corsair Platinum Dominator 3200 (3333 RMA'd). I can't get the XMP profile to boot. I did OC relax and can now enable XMP but I can't manually enter the correct settings. How are you guys getting on with it? I tried the 'Dram training voltage' setting but to no avail. Thing is, bios shows that I currently do have the correct memory timing settings, so should I just leave it at OC relax?
    Last edited by brouhahaha; 12-17-2015 at 05:44 AM.

With my Z170 SOC board, once I had worked out that the DRAM Training Voltage needed to be the same as normal RAM voltage, I have always then run it in Normal Mode. I would suggest setting your manual timings, with the Enhancement Mode as normal, as I think that is when it lets the memory channels run at its correct timings. From what I can gather, all the other Enhancement modes, either tighten or relax the timings from what you have them set at, to make it work. So therefore having it set to Normal mode, means that the memory is running at exactly what you specify in your timings. Relax OC or Enhanced Stability would both relax the timings from what they are normally meant to be and Enhanced Performance would increase them. But I think its best to run your timings as you set them in Normal Mode, because otherwise you are not really controlling the timings, because the Enhancement modes are altering them from what you have entered.

From reading your other posts, it appears your XMP Profile on the G1 does not support your RAM yet. This is a known issue across a few different manufacturers boards. I had an Asus Z170 Deluxe before the board I have now and it too had issues when I set the XMP Profile for the Corsair Vengeance Ram 2666MHZ I had on it. When I set the XMP Profile for it, it would display all the correct memory timings and speed, but once I saved and exited the bios and it rebooted, it would just go into a reboot loop until I press the MEM OK button on the board. I then had to go back into the bios and either enter the timings in manually, or what I also found out, is that if I simply changed the speed from 2666 to 2700 and left everything else as the XMP Profile, it would then boot successfully. I'd say a future bios update will eventually fix it for you, but running manually is simply doing the same thing as what the XMP Profile does anyway.

brouhahaha is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. I shall try that again. Thing is the memory I have and the one I returned are both on the mobo's approved vendor list so their should be no problem. In fact I did get the last one CORSAIR 4GB 1Rx8 CMK16GX4M4B3300C16 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v to eventually run under the XMP profile. However it started bsod'ing. So far this one, a slight downgrade, seems OK, but will only accept the XMP profile when I have Enhancement Setting on OC Relax (not tried the others). I have contacted Gigabyte, hopefully they can help. I currently have CORSAIR 4GB 1Rx8 CMD16GX4M4B3200C16 SS 16-18-18-36 1.35v (pasted from the approved vendors list).
    Last edited by brouhahaha; 12-17-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Have you checked to see that the memory modules themselves are not faulty, I always run MemTest86+ on every module I get, and let it do a minimum of 3 passes. Once there are no errors after 3 passes, the module is good to go.

I suggest doing the following :

1) Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the Power Supply or if your power supply has an external on/off switch, then turn it off to make sure there is no power going to the board at all.
    2) Press the Clear CMOS button on your board and then wait a couple of mins and then restore power and turn the computer back on and leave everything in the bios at factory default including the RAM at 2133MHZ standard.
    3) Download the USB version of Memtest86+ and create USB boot drive and run Memtest86+ for 3 passess and if your memory checks out all good, then reboot and go into the Bios and set the following :

a) Memory Timing Mode - Advanced Manual
    b) Enter your Primary Timings of 16-18-18-36 into each channel
    c) Set System Memory Multiplier to 32.00
    d) Leave XMP Profile Disabled and Memory Enhancement Mode to Normal
    e) Umder DRAM Voltage Control - Set both DRAM Voltage and DRAM Training Voltage to 1.35V

Save and Exit bios and it will reboot and it should train the memory, and then boot up to the Gigabyte Logo Screen.

If all the above works successfully, then go back into the Bios and set the XMP Profile to Profile 1, save and reboot and see if it successfully boots up.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Fact11; 12-17-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information