I recently upgraded my home PCs to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The BIOSes on my boards (GA-990FXA-UD3 and GA-970A-D3, both rev 3.0) have an option of "OS Type" where you can choose "Other OS" or "Windows 8." As I had Windows 7, these were both set to "Other OS" when I did the installation. I have since learned that the "Windows 8" option allows for Secure Boot. My boot drivers are also formatted in MBR and therefore only allow for the Legacy boot option.

My question is, should I bother reformatting the drives in GPT and reinstalling Windows with the OS Type set to "Windows 8" to get UEFI and Secure Boot? Should I expect any significant benefits from doing so?

I've read that doing so will allow for faster boot times and better integration of the system Firmware and the OS. However, I think the UEFI BIOS on these boards are quite preliminary and there really is no fast boot option. I also might be limited by other components like my graphics card.

If anyone can explain what features the "Windows 8" option specifically allows for, that would also be appreciated.

I did call Gigabyte tech support, but they didn't know the answer to my question and suggested I just leave everything at default :)