Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is this normal GIGABYTE mobo behavior? And what should I do next?

Default Is this normal GIGABYTE mobo behavior? And what should I do next?

SPECS:

CPU
    i7-6700, 3.4 GHz, 8MB Cache, LGA1151
    S-spec: SR2BT
    Product code: BX80662176700

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, LGA 1151, BIOS version F5
    Intel Z170/Socket115/rev.1.0

RAM

G.SKILL TRIDENT Z
    F4-3200C16D-16GTZB
    DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V
    PC4-25600 8Gx2 Intel XMP 2.0 Ready

Just the other week, when I set the XMP profile on an EVGA motherboard, all I had to do was first lock the DRAM voltage down so it would not rise. BIOS only changed DRAM settings.

I'm working on a new build right now. I noticed that when I set XMP on the new GIGABYTE motherboard, a number of other things changed. Where before the main page in BIOS showed the CPU running at 3.4 GHz and 25 C, it began to appear at 4.0 GHz and 33 C. Now, I've since read that this may be normal, that the BIOS will push the CPU to its higher settings to ensure stability while the user makes other changes.

Please tell me if this is incorrect.

Right or wrong, other things I had read caused me to wonder if the CPU was somehow locked in turbo mode. Would this eventually destroy the CPU? I didn't know. I found the following advice and tried to follow it:

mindless's explanation of XMP is right. However, the motherboard does consider this an overclock so there are some other adjustments you may want to make. I built a system with the same chip and motherboard. In my experience, turning XMP on causes gigabyte to translate a lot of settings that are Auto by default as Disabled, whereas with XMP off it treats these Auto settings as Enabled. In particular, the features that I found I 'lost' were related to Turbo and energy savings/sleep step. One of the big selling points of the i7 860 was the turbo mode so I definitely wanted this back!

After some easy changes to a few default settings in the BIOS, I was able to get XMP and Turbo working together. The changes I had to make in the BIOS were on the Advanced CPU Core Features page:
    Intel Turbo Boost Tech. - changed from Auto to Enabled
    CPU Cores Enabled - left as All
    CPU Multi-Threading - left as Enabled
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - changed from Auto to Enabled
    C3/C6/C7 State Support - changed from Auto to Enabled
    CPU Thermal Monitor - changed from Auto to Enabled
    CPU EIST Function - changed from Auto to Enabled
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT - changed from Auto to Enabled

My board now idles with a multiplier of x9 (about 1.2GHz). And when I run a single thread of Prime95 it hits a multiplier of x26 and the max speed of 3.46GHz. Turbo now appears to be working with RAM set to XMP. Prior to making these changes with XMP on my CPU basically ran at a constant x20 or x21 (around 2.66GHz).

Note: These readings are as reported by CPU-Z. CoreTemp approximately matched the idle numbers, but it never reported a multiplier and speed higher than x22 and ~2.93GHz. I believe CPU-Z is correct and CoreTemp has a bug keeping it from reading this processor correctly.
    Unfortunately, I didn't catch the 2009 date on that post. I probably should not have followed it, because my settings were slightly different (I also have C8 support and left it on Auto). But I did follow it and restarted.

The main page of BIOS continued displaying the CPU at 4.0 GHz, but at 25 C. I toggled the XMP on and off, which only seemed to change the temperature back to 33 C.

Again, I realize this behavior may be the norm for these motherboards, and I could be worried about nothing important. It's not as if my PC just blew up.

But I did load optimized defaults, and reset CMOS by shorting the two pins. Currently, the front page of BIOS always displays the CPU as running at 4.0 GHz and 33 C. The only thing I haven't tried was removing the CMOS battery, because I don't know that this is an actual problem.

Maybe all I need to do at this point is tweak a few other settings. I have read that GIGABYTE motherboards are different than those I am used to.

I am hoping that somewhere out there is someone who knows these boards inside and out, who can direct me as needed.

All of this is happening in BIOS. I don't know what happens in Windows, as I've not had a chance to run CPU-Z. Again, I have reset BIOS, loaded optimized settings, and enabled the XMP profile. I've not done anything else.

Thanks for looking!

Is this normal GIGABYTE mobo behavior? And what should I do next?-_-19-22-46-jpg

Default Re: Is this normal GIGABYTE mobo behavior? And what should I do next?

Does anyone read these forums?

Default Re: Is this normal GIGABYTE mobo behavior? And what should I do next?

Hi Vincit,

I am running a different Gigabyte Z170 board to yourself, however the bios settings between the boards are almost identical. No it is not normal for any CPU settings to change in the Bios, if you simply select XMP Profile. The only settings that change with XMP Profile are the Memory Timings, the Memory Voltage, and the Memory speed, nothing else should change. CPU settings have nothing to do with XMP Profiles.
    The information your screen shot is displaying is correct. It's showing your Ram is running at 3200, according to the XMP Profile and the Frequency it's showing for the CPU is the CPU running at Max speed, which is what it does when your in the bios. Once you are in Windows and provided you haven't disabled any power saving settings, it will throttle down to below 1Ghz when idling.

If you go into the MIT Current Status option in your bios, you will see each core of your CPU and it will show both the Turbo and Base Frequency, which if you have not overclocked anything, should be 4.0Ghz and 3.4Ghz accordingly.

I don't know what other guidance you are seeking, as you haven't explained what it is that you are wanting to achieve, apart from setting XMP Profile, which you have already done. Everything else I can see from your screenshot looks correct and how its supposed to be.

Hope that helps.

Thread Information