Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-z97MX-Gaming 5 - 2x Samsung XP941 PCIE SSDs Conflict in Bios

Default GA-z97MX-Gaming 5 - 2x Samsung XP941 PCIE SSDs Conflict in Bios

Good Morning.

I've got two Samsung XP941 256GB M.2 SSD's on Lycom DT-129 PCI-E Adapters. If I put one in the system everything is great, if I put both in the system one works and one shows up as "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in the bios. The SSD's have been tried and tested in the M.2 socket on the motherboard and they're working fine.

I've tried the following scenarios:

x16/x8 - Video Card
    x8 - PCIE SSD 1
    x4 - PCIE SSD 2
    Result - No Good

x16/x8 - Video Card
    x8 - PCIE SSD 2
    x4 - PCIE SSD 1
    Result - No Good

x16/x8 - Video Card
    x8 - PCIE SSD 1
    x4 - Nothing
    Result - Good

x16/x8 - Video Card
    x8 - Nothing
    x4 - PCIE SSD 2
    Result - Good

x16/x8 - Video Card
    x8 - Nothing
    x4 - PCIE SSD 1
    Result - Good

x16/x8 - Video Card
    x8 - PCIE SSD 2
    x4 - Nothing
    Result - Good

Am I not allowed to have two of the same PCIE SSDs at the same time or could it be the cards? Or the PCIE slots? I checked the manual and it looks like if I run all 3 they run at x8, x8, & x4, the drives and cards only require x4 slots so I think I'm good in that respect. I reached out to Lycom and they said running two of the cards in the same system should be a problem as they just pass the SSD through. They also make another model of card, the DT-120 would it be worth trying one of each card or will I end up with the same results?
    Last edited by Cwis3man; 01-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Default Re: GA-z97MX-Gaming 5 - 2x Samsung XP941 PCIE SSDs Conflict in Bios

First time I have seen those - so I am not familiar with them. They look interesting for boards that support PCIE 3 - I will have to look at those next time I do an SSD upgrade. I am going to guess that perhaps the boards do not auto - sense each other and so each board is attempting to use the same default bus address. Perhaps there is something in the manual for the cards about using a jumper to use an alternate PCIE address. Hope that gets you somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by dewot View Post
    First time I have seen those - so I am not familiar with them. They look interesting for boards that support PCIE 3 - I will have to look at those next time I do an SSD upgrade. I am going to guess that perhaps the boards do not auto - sense each other and so each board is attempting to use the same default bus address. Perhaps there is something in the manual for the cards about using a jumper to use an alternate PCIE address. Hope that gets you somewhere!
    That's what I had originally thought so I reached out to the manufacturer, they said all the boards do is pass through the SSD to the motherboard and there are no jumpers or anything to differentiate them.

They make a different model board so I'm going to try one of each if I can't come up with another solution next week.

Okay, since the cards are merely pass thru devices, I don't think a different card will help. If you haven't yet done so, update the MB to the latest bios, and update the controller firmware on the drives. Also run the latest Intel Chipset update from Intels website. I think the area you are working in may be a bit of a work in progress for the manufacturers. If all that results in no joy, then I would contact Samsung support next and ask them how to make it work. Lastly, I would contact Gigabyte. But I would do all those things first because Gigabyte will probably tell you to try all that stuff before they elevate the suport call to a real technician. Good Luck!

if just the two cards are plugged in they work fine.

Once I start adding sata drives to the system one stops working and starts showing up in the bios as YYYYYYYYYYYYYY still waiting to hear back from tech support on this.

Thread Information